PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU in September

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

What are the chances the Mustangs go 4-0 in September?

Poll ended at Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:08 am

Zero.
37%
Less than zero.
16%
Dude, seriously, can you get that stuff over the counter?
11%
Slim, but I'd sell Grandma and Uncle Ray up the river to see it.
18%
Dat's why dey play de games!
18%

Total votes : 38

Postby jtstang » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:50 am

Well, we KNOW Baylor is the Big 12 doormat. Technically, SMU is working from a clean slate in C-USA. But I do have my suspicions.
jtstang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: A&M at Kyle Field is a death march

Postby LonghornFan68 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:42 pm

Corso wrote:
LonghornFan68 wrote: .... Sorry, but you are wrong about aTm. They have a good chance of having a losing record this season. Their offense is about the only thing they have and even that is suspect. .... They've lost more players to academic ineligibity and arrests than I can shake a stick at. Some people are calling for them to Big XII champs, I'm gonna be surprised if they sniff a bowl this season....
I hope you're right, but I'm not sure I agree. For whatever it's worth (not much), the DMN has them ranked in today's paper at #22 (I think) in the country. Reggie McNeal is a freak -- he twice ran a 4.30 for pro scouts in the spring, and he's a much-improved passer. The DMN says they have great receivers -- I'm not so sure I agree. But I do think their offensive line will be better than last year, and I think the new faces on defense last year held them back. Their LBs are pretty damn good -- not like the Coryatt days, but good nonetheless. Better than most. And I kind of like their secondary. (Well, I don't like them, but they're pretty decent.) I think their main defensive questions are up front. I'm afraid that overall, they might be vastly improved over last year.

And while we don't play them this year (meaning I don't care), I'm not as sold on Tech as you are. But I hope even UT (sorry - never been a UT fan) beats the hell out of the The Leach and his crew. If Mack and the boys have a chance to kick some dirt over them by adding a late touchdown after the game is long since out of reach, DO IT.

Yeah, I don't expect many around here to be UT fans. But I do appreciate the kind sentiments.

aTm's secondary is where most believe they are going to be hurting the most. That is where they are most depleted. The problem is, because of various guys having to leave the team there are many unproven players at that position and one never knows what to expect from them. Some may surprise, but likely many will disappoint.
Official Cult of Chris Phillips Member
LonghornFan68
Heisman

Postby SouthernMustang » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:24 pm

SMU's been a doormat as well. If being a doormat in the Big XII makes you leaps and bounds better than being a doormat in the WAC, then the game in '03 would've been a blowout in y'alls favor.

BU also managed to lose to a mid-tier CUSA team (56-14) and a Sun Belt team (52-14) on the road. That makes people tend to think that BU would probably finish middle of the pack at best in a "mid-major" conference b/c they can't play on the road.

BU fans say that the only way SMU will win is if they turn over the ball. Well ... in the past 2 years, Guy Morriss has proved that his team playing on the road against a team in a "lesser" conference will cough up the ball plenty of times. If SMU can hold Tech to 27 points with a young defense, they will do the same with a year of experience against a much worse team.

He did a nice 2-year turnaround at UK with someone else's recruits -- but take a look at how his recruits are performing now.

I have no problem with BU fans thinking they are going to win. But claiming they're going kill us? Please ... Vandy would kill BU (go take a look at how close they came to being 6-5 last year; losing several games by less than a TD ... not 3 pairs of TDs ... and in an arguably equal or better conference). And you might want to win a road game once in the last 35 or so tries before you spout off these "oh so credible" reasons you will kill us. We at least have a winning record at home from last season to support our argument.
SouthernMustang
Scout Team

Postby ThadFilms » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:37 pm

Yeah, I'm going with our whole winning record at home as my argument for us to win this game... besides, Phil will have us prepped.
Eric Dickerson in Pony Excess

"I've love winning man, it's like better than losing." - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh
ThadFilms

Postby ThadFilms » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:50 am

Bump.

Hey... I just want to see more votes! (100 ... run up the score.)
Eric Dickerson in Pony Excess

"I've love winning man, it's like better than losing." - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh
ThadFilms

Postby oakley » Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:14 am

LonghornFan68 -
where did you get that freak baby photo? ugliest damn baby I have seen in a while. A baby that looks like that grows up looking like this:
is it bow-legged, too?

oakley
Junior Varsity

Previous

Return to Football