PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Houston Bowl

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby Cat79 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:37 am

Colorado vrs. UTEP 27,235

prior years
Texas Tech vrs Navy 51,068
Oklahoma State vrs. Southern Miss 44,687

I have noticed an increase in publicity around Houston. EV1 (Everyones' Internet) has taken over as the sponsor. They seem to have a more aggressive marketing approach.
Cat79

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:42 am

Cat79 wrote:2004
Colorado vrs. UTEP 27,235

prior years
Texas Tech vrs Navy 51,068
Oklahoma State vrs. Southern Miss 44,687

I have noticed an increase in publicity around Houston. EV1 (Everyones' Internet) has taken over as the sponsor. They seem to have a more aggressive marketing approach.
And Reliant Stadium has a seating capacity of 69,500.

Thank God that jerk "Mattress Mac" is no longer sponsoring it with his Furniture Gallery store. What a moron.
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:57 am

the point is-all you negative people-geez- is from an SMU perspective we now have access to 4 bowls that I think you could convince a reasonable number of SMU fans to attend. The Mobile and New Orleans Bowl are in the New Orleans vicinity. The Houston Bowl and Ft Worth Bowls are in Texas. The Hawaii Bowl is a long haul but the others are close. Go ask Rice fans-unless these Bowls think you might bring some fans you're going to get passed over. SMU with its pitiful following faced the prospect getting passed over if a) they were EVER Bowl-eligible and b) if the bowls didn't make geographic sense. I think SMU should be able to support these bowls. Being the positive guy I am I think the SMU Coaching staff can also sell the shakeout in the Bowl/TV negotiations in a positive light especially with regard to TCU and/or the MWC. The MWC looks to receive only 3 bowls and TCU recruits would likely get no reward since they will likely stay in Ft. Worth. Their only other bowls are in Las Vegas (BEFORE CHRISTMAS) and the brand new bowl in San Diego. The fact that CUSA will have 5 Bowls to the MWC 3 Bowls DESPITE the fact that the MWC is rated 10 points higher per team in the Sagrain Ratings is a testament to the geographic superiority of CUSA-many of our teams suck but this sells the argument that the geography makes sense. Hopefully, better bowls and better TV coverage will mean better CUSA. Bennett has at least been given a decent sales pitch. BTW don't buy into any of these moranic arguments that Banowsky is doing a terrible job. Despite the monopolistic tendencies of the BCS, he has positioned his conference in a outstanding competitive long range position despite the weaknesses of its individual members as opposed to the MWC, WAC, SunBelt. I doubt you'd get many Froggies to admit it but they may be a little shocked about some of the problems the MWC is having.
Stallion

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:06 pm

now those comments are right on the money. Given the vulnerability of the Hawaii and Liberty Bowls, it's realy important that the new CUSA provide quality teams to Mobile, New Orleans, Houston & Ft Worth and just as important, show that we can deliver some butts in seats. We have an ooportunity. Let's see if CUSA can do something with it.
Charleston Pony

Previous

Return to Football