PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Luncheon Summaries ????

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby Special_Delivery_Smu_Fans » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:14 am

re: I'd like to say a big 'thanks!' publicly to all the folks at the Special Delivery table who made me feel very welcome!

You are quite welcome Mr. Mustang65!

It was great to have Coach Joe Sawyer and SMU DB Joe Sturdivant at our table.

Coach Sawyer is so enthusiastic we were all ready to "put the pads on"!

Thanks to everyone at our table including JD of PonyFans, The Bus, Big Horse, South Pony, and the rest of the Special Delivery gang.

The luncheon appreared to be a big "sold out" success and will hopefully only get bigger and better as SMU continues to improve it's football program.

GO MUSTANGS - BEAT BAYLOR!

"THE SMU BLVD - - NO PLACE ELSE" (retired)
Special_Delivery_Smu_Fans
Heisman

Postby 2112 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:08 am

It was exciting to HAVE a "BIG TIME" event for SMU!
Heisman

Postby WorldStang » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:14 am

More stories from this event!!!

You guys fill us in on what was said by any players/coaches at your tables? Any surprises? Stories?
What we obtain too cheap.. we esteem too lightly. It is persistence alone that gives everything its value.
WorldStang
All-American

Postby Caballo » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:37 pm

SMU Football event
Just got back from the Radisson and had a blast listening to all the stories from the SMU Football Kickoff Luncheon. Roger Staubach and Phil Bennett were great.

It was funny listening to Bennett, the SMU coach, telling everybody about the last time he saw Staubach. It was his first game as coach against Navy in 2002. "When I walked out the tunnel I saw Roger and the grass is on fire," Bennett said. "And then Navy was on fire against us." (The grass circle across from the tunnel caught fire because of some fireworks problems.)

Roger was great. Talked about needing more players in the Cowboys' Ring of Honor and finding a driver for his new NASCAR team.

Posted by Calvin Watkins at 4:37 PM (E-mail this entry)

This was on the DMN sports blog page. As you can see, it was posted by Watkins.

Did I sleep through part of my dessert? I don't remember Roger saying anything in his speech about the Ring of Honor or NASCAR. Can anyone tell me what else I missed?

Roger's best line, talking about going the extra mile for your teammates, "There are no traffic jams on the extra mile."
Caballo
All-American

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:58 pm

He made the comments about the Ring of Honor and the NASCAR driver after the luncheon when he was talking to the reporters. I eavesdropped on the impromptu news conference. :wink:
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby oakley » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:01 am

Hate to mention this, but most of the folks in that luncheon were Roger jock-lickers.

Either they work for (and thus draw their livelihood from) Rainwater, Roger's boss, or they were in the commercial real estate business and doing a deal with The Staubach Co (lots of free seats). There was the same aged ponyfan group there, of course.

There was 10 times the media, and you guessed it, they were there for the staub.
oakley
Junior Varsity

Postby 2112 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:30 am

But he still wasn't in Waco, for ANY Baylor event ! You clown! :twisted: LOL!!!
Heisman

Postby DiamondM75 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:45 am

oakley wrote:There was 10 times the media, and you guessed it, they were there for the staub.

Even if they were there for the dodger, it is a great event that gets media coverage. This is the most media coverage SMU has had in a long time, and I welcome it, even if they were there for Roger.

We were still covered in the local media and SMU was mentioned on every broadcast. Also, having Roger show some support of the local Div 1 college team never hurts.
Just send 'da money.
DiamondM75
Hall of Famer

Postby WorldStang » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:09 am

oakley wrote:Hate to mention this, but most of the folks in that luncheon were Roger jock-lickers.

Either they work for (and thus draw their livelihood from) Rainwater, Roger's boss, or they were in the commercial real estate business and doing a deal with The Staubach Co (lots of free seats). There was the same aged ponyfan group there, of course.

There was 10 times the media, and you guessed it, they were there for the staub.

Hope you feel better since you "had to mention this.. " LOL

What an [deleted] clown
What we obtain too cheap.. we esteem too lightly. It is persistence alone that gives everything its value.
WorldStang
All-American

Postby Thumper » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:15 am

oakley wrote:Hate to mention this, but most of the folks in that luncheon were Roger jock-lickers.

Do you know all this because you were there? Did you go to an SMU event that wasn't even a game against Baylor?
Get help. Or a hobby.
Or, if you weren't there, stop making assumptions about people (luncheon attendees) that you don't know.
Thumper
Varsity

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:26 am

re: Either they work for (and thus draw their livelihood from) Rainwater, Roger's boss, or they were in the commercial real estate business and doing a deal with The Staubach Co (lots of free seats)

Can you provide any proof of what you are implying?

I saw tons of familar faces at the luncheon.
It was not at all like you are implying that a bunch of commercial real estate people not in any way associated with SMU made up the bulk of the attendence of the luncheon.

SMU gets a great speaker for their kickoff luncheon and you twist that into something negative, but if they had some nobody there you would be screaming about how "so and so school got Roger Staubach to speak at their luncheon while SMU had a nobody". Good grief....get a life!
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Previous

Return to Football