PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Is it true about the freshmen getting redshirted?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Is it true about the freshmen getting redshirted?

Postby RunPeruna » Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:49 am

I have heard rumors that Coach Bennett wants to redshirt all of the freshmen this year. Is this true or is that just a perfect world scenario? It seems hard that SMU couldn't use a freshmen anywhere on the field when other schools who are very successful play there freshmen. Just wondering what you guys know about that or if it is not accurate.
RunPeruna
Junior Varsity

Postby BUS » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:15 am

Most will red shirt. Maybe 3 to 5 could play.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony Up » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:51 am

Yeah, I think that's a perfect-world scenario. When we have enough depth -- which we're building, but we're not there yet -- then we'll be able to redshirt everyone. I would bet that one (maybe both) freshman WRs -- Givens and/or Sanders -- will play. Maybe a freshman will play (Curtiss Powell?) if he shows particular ability on special teams. If either line is hit hard by injuries, a young pup might get thrown into action. Ideally, however, none of them will play.
Pony Up
All-American

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:04 am

Unless injuries factor in, Givens is the only one that will play. (for now anyway)
ALEX LIFESON

Postby Grider » Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:41 pm

What about Chase Smith, that guy seems like he could be a huge presence on the d-line?
Grider
All-American

Postby ponyte » Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:53 pm

One would hope that all are red shirted. Nothing against any of our freshmen, but a year to learn the college game and get bigger and stronger is very beneficial. A kid coming out of high school has a higher chance of getting hurt (not career ending but very beat up) and that can delay development. If a school has a sure fire NFL kid, then why waste a year on a red shirt? Use the kid as soon as possible and as often as possible (I know, sounds like a business or factory but that is the nature of the game). Bennett is wise to red shirt as many as possible.
ponyte

Return to Football