PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Stallion is reporting...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Stallion is reporting...

Postby ThadFilms » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:53 pm

... our first football commitment over in the recruiting board.

When, oh when, will I flip over to the recuiting bord to find that some healded five star recruit decides he wants to be a Pony?

(And yes, that's rhetorical.)

Well, let's just hope this one opens the floodgates. (What are we, now 26 commitments behind the Horns?)
Eric Dickerson in Pony Excess

"I've love winning man, it's like better than losing." - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh
ThadFilms
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby LonghornFan68 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:57 pm

/\ Is this par for the course for SMU? I don't follow recruiting much for UT much less SMU. Hopefully there will be a few more for the Ponies after game 1. :D
Official Cult of Chris Phillips Member
LonghornFan68
Heisman

Postby oakley » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:35 pm

/\ For the love of all things holy, please take that ugly damn baby picture off this thread. Dammmn that's a freaky baby - and ugly.

BU 34
Ole Miss West 3
oakley
Junior Varsity

Re: Stallion is reporting...

Postby PlanoStang » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:11 pm

ThadFilms wrote:... our first football commitment over in the recruiting board.

When, oh when, will I flip over to the recuiting bord to find that some healded five star recruit decides he wants to be a Pony?

(And yes, that's rhetorical.)

Well, let's just hope this one opens the floodgates. (What are we, now 26 commitments behind the Horns?)

We can't PAY as much as they do. That's in BCS provided intangible benefits. Which are athletic notoriety for playing in a BCS conference :!: I won't mention the occasional money under the table from alumni, and great grades from profs.

SMU, and all the other non-BCS schools are EFFECTIVELY NCAA Div 1AA
schools.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby LakeHighlandsPony » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:39 pm

oakley wrote:/\ For the love of all things holy, please take that ugly damn baby picture off this thread. Dammmn that's a freaky baby - and ugly.

BU 34
Ole Miss West 3

Ah look, Leslie's Chicken Shack in Waco has Wi-Fi now.
LakeHighlandsPony
Hall of Famer

Postby oakley » Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:19 am

Look, it's not all bad for you guys. You can recruit to smu because it is in Dallas and a party school. I think you make a mistake when you try to deny what you really are. Let's face it, there are many graduates from the hilltop that's can't spell either of those words. That's fine.

The worst thing smu does is try to be some sort of ivy league academic mecca. pulleez

just be what you are - and quit trying to be someone /something else. You can win in the *WAC, you will be fine. I almost forgot to add: /\

*just kiddin' - i know you guys are in the CUSA.
oakley
Junior Varsity

Postby SouthernMustang » Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:03 am

oakley wrote:Look, it's not all bad for you guys. You can recruit to smu because it is in Dallas and a party school. I think you make a mistake when you try to deny what you really are. Let's face it, there are many graduates from the hilltop that's can't spell either of those words. That's fine.

The worst thing smu does is try to be some sort of ivy league academic mecca. pulleez

just be what you are - and quit trying to be someone /something else. You can win in the *WAC, you will be fine. I almost forgot to add: /\

Who is saying that SMU is Harvard? SMU people get good jobs b/c our parents know people, and our friend's parents from school know people, and our school teaches us to network rather than pray and teach Sunday School. :D Kidding... although, if you don't learn to schmooze at SMU then you didn't get your $ worth.

If SMU isn't good academically, than neither is Baylor. Y'all are ranked lower than us in the 2006 USNWR. Law school is about the same, SMU MBA is higher -- and your med school is independent of your "parent institution."

Both are great schools; neither are Rice, Duke, Vandy, or even Tulane.

Do you go scout out our classes like you do our football practices? I'd be really interested to know how Sarah Tinkerson (made up name) is doing in PSYC1301 with Prof. Gancars.
SouthernMustang
Scout Team

Postby DallasDiehard » Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:30 am

We're not Harvard. But which school is it that regularly recruits kids who don't clear the NCAA Clearinghouse (for example: that California track star who's supposed to be a stud WR and LB Shon Whatshisname ....) I don't know how the opener will turn out, but our athletes are also students. Our recruits get in.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

LonghornFan68 Picture

Postby Sonic » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:32 am

Don't even think about taking that picture away...this is quite possibly the funniest thing I have ever seen!

Oh yeah, go ponies!
Sonic
Scout Team

Postby EastStang » Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:14 pm

While the baby is creepy, I think a point should be made. When is the last time that one of UT's, A&M's best players was declared academically ineligible? Yet it happens at SMU on a fairly regular basis. What that means is that this "party school" does take its academic mission seriously and if you don't do the work, you get bad grades. Baylor has put athletes on academic probation. I think the basketball player that killed the other basketball player was on academic probation at the time of his arrest.
EastStang

Postby Stallion » Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:18 pm

both UT and A&M have regularly had players declared academically ineligible in the last few years. Don't know how you got that impression.
Stallion

Postby EastStang » Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:43 pm

Were they starting players? I mean pine rider number 305 won't get a break but I suspect Ricky "Ganjahead" Williams probably got a few extensions on some paperwork.
EastStang

Postby LonghornFan68 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:20 pm

EastStang wrote:While the baby is creepy, I think a point should be made. When is the last time that one of UT's, A&M's best players was declared academically ineligible? Yet it happens at SMU on a fairly regular basis. What that means is that this "party school" does take its academic mission seriously and if you don't do the work, you get bad grades. Baylor has put athletes on academic probation. I think the basketball player that killed the other basketball player was on academic probation at the time of his arrest.

Probable starting lineman(click me)

Were they starting players? I mean pine rider number 305 won't get a break but I suspect Ricky "Ganjahead" Williams probably got a few extensions on some paperwork.

Sad.
Official Cult of Chris Phillips Member
LonghornFan68
Heisman

Return to Football