PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Saturday scrimmage

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Saturday scrimmage

Postby Thumper » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:19 am

Who's going?
I'm driving into Dallas tomorrow morning. Lunch with some old friends, a couple of beverages on a patio somewhere, then an evening of Mustang football. Perfect evening, if you ask me.
Thumper
Varsity

Postby PonyPride » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:28 pm

Like there's anything else we'd rather be doing. Got my seat picked out already (in my mind, at least).
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony Up » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:06 am

Absolutely! Heading to Dallas this afternoon for the scrimmage.
Finally -- football season is here.
Go MUSTANGS!
Pony Up
All-American

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:37 am

I would expect it to be pretty vanilla..........with all of these PARaNOID Baylor fans scouting practice :wink:
ALEX LIFESON

Postby Corso » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:39 am

I assume you're right. But it's still SMU football, so that's where you'll find me!
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:44 am

Me too! What about you BIGHORSE, and LITTLEHORSE?
ALEX LIFESON

Postby BIGHORSE » Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:54 pm

BIGHORSE WILL BE THERE.
BIGHORSE
Hall of Famer

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:34 pm

You guys be sure to let me how it looks. Its gonna be hot.

Heard the heat index was 113 in Arlington. It was 100 here in Longview. Just got back from the Lobo vs Lufkin scrimmage and Im soaked in sweat.

BTW All Lobo fans, Longview defeated Lufkin 14-3 in the varsity scrimmage. Lost in the freshmen scrimmage 7-0, and JV DRILLED em 35-7. Way to go JV and Varsity.
Mustangs35SMU

Postby giacfsp » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:48 pm

ALEX LIFESON was right -- extremely vanilla. That was as conservative as I've ever seen. Richuel Massey and Cedrick Dorsey looked pretty good. Pellerin made a sweet touchdown catch on a fade route into the corner of the end zone. Ryan Kennedy looks so smooth catching the ball -- it's like the rest of us catching a Nerf ball. Darrin Johnson looked very mobile, very light on his feet -- that was extremely encouraging. The defense was as plain as the offense. Adrian Haywood looked really quick, and Bonds looked a lot quicker and thinner. Rogers and Ieremia-Stansbury looked strong at the point of attack, but they weren't really rushing the passer much. Charlie Berry looked good -- since when is he a defensive tackle? Saw little from the linebackers, although Reggie Carrington seemed to be around the ball a lot.
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:27 pm

Vanilla, yes. Much focus on Special teams...thought Romo had some arm strength and more accurate...Richuel looked much faster and strong. The handoffs to the RBs from the shotgun looked pretty herky jerky...needs more timing.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:40 pm

Warren and Givens made me nervous with several fumbled punts. Something continues to get my attention with Tony Hawkins...............he can't catch! Tony drops to many balls!!! Romo stepped up in the pocket well tonight, something he didn't do last year. Ryan Kennedy is a stud, and Justin Rogers is going to have a good year! Lucky Delay played back up right offensive tackle tonight. I would love to see Jessie Henderson get
a seam on a kick off return, because the next man in motion would be the scoreboard operator!!! Man is that kid fast! I didn't see anyone get hurt tonight, and that was a great thing.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby LakeHighlandsPony » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:54 am

ALEX LIFESON wrote:Warren and Givens made me nervous with several fumbled punts. Something continues to get my attention with Tony Hawkins...............he can't catch! Tony drops to many balls!!! Romo stepped up in the pocket well tonight, something he didn't do last year. Ryan Kennedy is a stud, and Justin Rogers is going to have a good year! Lucky Delay played back up right offensive tackle tonight. I would love to see Jessie Henderson get
a seam on a kick off return, because the next man in motion would be the scoreboard operator!!! Man is that kid fast! I didn't see anyone get hurt tonight, and that was a great thing.

Blake Warren dropped punts at the last scrimmage!?
LakeHighlandsPony
Hall of Famer

Postby HorsePower » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:54 am

Until last night, I didn't really know if Massey would be the player we all hoped. He hasn't done it in a game yet, of course, but he looked better last night than I've ever seen him. Accelerating much more quickly, and changing directions very quickly. He looked really good last night -- let's hope it translates to the season. Romo and Eckert both looked good. Neither looked overwhelming, but again, last night's scrimmage was being played very close to the vest, so to speak.
HorsePower
Heisman

Return to Football