PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Boulevard

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Boulevard

Postby The Stampede » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:05 pm

Does anyone have that e-mail from the Oklahoma State fan's perspective of the Boulevard last year?

If so, can you post it? Thanks!
"Then in the Arctic half-light of the canyon, all existence fades to a being with my soul and memories and the sounds of the Big Blackfoot River and a four-count rhythm and the hope that a fish will rise."
The Stampede
Junior Varsity

Postby ThadFilms » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:31 pm

Did someone post that here last year? I seem to remember it, but I'm not sure...

-TDM
Eric Dickerson in Pony Excess

"I've love winning man, it's like better than losing." - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh
ThadFilms
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DixieTech » Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:21 am

I remeber. It was fairly jealous-sounding if I remeber correctly.
Southern, Texan, American - in that order.
DixieTech
Recruit

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:02 am

Can you give us an idea of what its content was? And are you sure it was 2004? We played OSU there last year...
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby The Stampede » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:09 am

It was 2003 when Rashaun Woods caught those 7 TD's (excuse me while I go vomit, I thought I had erased that from memory). An OSU fan did a writeup for their newspaper if I recall correctly. It sounded "snobbish", but was pretty funny - saying they had a good time, the girls were hot, mixed in with some funny stereotypes.
"Then in the Arctic half-light of the canyon, all existence fades to a being with my soul and memories and the sounds of the Big Blackfoot River and a four-count rhythm and the hope that a fish will rise."
The Stampede
Junior Varsity

Postby SouthernMustang » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:16 am

Found it... did "searches" for SMU Tailgate on other message boards and found it.

An Outside Perspective of the SMU Boulevard Tailgating Scene ...

Ricky Nelson couldn't have imagined the garden party that was the SMU " tailgate experience". Tailgating was more like an outdoor wedding party. Ties, Dress shirts and Khaki shorts were the official dress for the day for the men. Sundresses, fake breasts and Chanel make-up seemed to be the ladies dress code. Our fans kept wondering if the girls were going to a football game or a semiformal. On the flip-side of being stuck-up Southern debutantes, most of the girls looked like barbie dolls and glamorous celebrities- in essence, the eye candy was amazing. We decided that money makes you pretty, you can buy everything you are not born with! Maybe they would have liked it better if we would have put a modeling runway in front of the tailgate with some lights, and had someone announcing each one as they passed. ANNOUNCER: "And here is Vicky from the Pi Beta Phi House ... she will stay at the game for 2 minutes and 34 seconds, she is wearing the latest outfit from ... <insert $$ designer>.

The campus was awesomly impressive, resembling The University of Virginia in many aspects. The tailgate lawn reminded those of us who had been to "The Grove" of Ole Miss. Instead of parking lots and fields, SMU students preferred a shaded grassy area in the middle of campus-- perhaps they wanted postcard-like pictures taken to send home to mommy and daddy. There was a rampant group of photographers running around taking pictures of perfectly posed students. All of the photographers had the same name, "Flash," and the students screamed it often and loudly. Moreover, instead of old pick-up trucks with beer in the back, they just let down the remote-controlled automatic back-windows to their Range Rovers, Hummers, and Z71 Tahoes to unveil the latest platinum flasks and exclusive liquor cabinets. Fine whiskey for the men, memosas for the ladies, and beer for the guests.

The alumni tents proved to be even more impressive as they were way over the top with all the silver trays, candle fixtures, champagne, catered foods, and generated air conditioners. But, it was still cool to stroll down Bishop under all the trees amidst the beautiful campus and see that many people hanging out before the game. Many SMU fans even gave us a couple of drinks, as the students and alums both proved to be hospitable creatures. One of the most decadent things we saw was a tent with 3 TV's (one of them a big flat, plasma screen), 3 DIRECTV receivers, one satellite dish, air conditioning, and catered food...it was pretty plush.
The Boulevard, SMU's hub for pre-game tailgating was an extraordinary sight. But when we stepped into the stadium we had a question. Where were all the fans?

What fans did show up seemed to be pretty good sports. They stayed for a half (it was an eternity for them), and congratulated us on our outstanding performance while laughing humorously, but angrily, about the dismal state of their team. One guy told our group "I only root for SMU because I like Rudy, and at our school Rudy is playing every damn position." I distinctly remember a chant from the student section yelling: "Let's go soccer!" after the score got out of control early. Even more humorous, the students cheered and laughed loudest at their first First-Down ... which came because of an Oklahoma State penalty. The only thing that disgusted me was a sign that read: "HEY OSU, I NEED A YARDMAN AFTER THE GAME." All in all, watching SMU students and fans was a most interesting experience. I found out Aaron Spelling was an alum of SMU, this must be where he gets his material for his shows.

To top the whole game off, besides the easy victory and broken NCAA record, was SMU's version of Punt, Pass and Kick. They call it Punt, Pass and Pitch. Matching two of the worlds greatest contact sports, Football and Golf. They might as well have taken out the punt and put in a tennis serve, and taken out the pass and whacked a polo ball from their mustang mascot. The combination just seemed to fit the whole aura of the SMU game. The sponsors were Infinity, Land Rover, Mercedes, and expensive jewelry and clothing stores. I believe the fans thought they had to wear and drive those who sponsored their team as the parking lot seemed to prove that was the case.

All in all, the SMU game was an educational experience, one that proved to me you don't have to make sense to have too many dollars.

Better luck next season Ponies.
SouthernMustang
Scout Team

Return to Football