PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Big 12 Ties Up Independence Bowl

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Big 12 Ties Up Independence Bowl

Postby Stallion » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:30 am

it will be the historic battle between the Big 12 No. 8 team vs. the SEC No. 8 team. Of course, its very possible still isn't it that two teams from either the SEC or Big 12 could get into the BCS so the bid could go to the 9th place team. I gotta think that in many years the 8th or 9th team in either or both conferences will not be eligible so this is a possible fall back bowl for the CUSA No. 6 team-since geographically it makes sense.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Big 12 Ties Up Independence Bowl

Postby jtstang » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:26 am

Stallion wrote:it will be the historic battle between the Big 12 No. 8 team vs. the SEC No. 8 team.

That's just ridiculous.
jtstang

Postby Stallion » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:40 am

BTW there is a discussion on the CUSA Board that says that CUSA is negotiating a deal to be the "back-up" bid to the Independence Bowl if either conference doesn't have enough bowl eligible teams. I would jump at that because its a very real possibility.
Stallion

Re: Big 12 Ties Up Independence Bowl

Postby ThadFilms » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:13 pm

jtstang wrote:
Stallion wrote:it will be the historic battle between the Big 12 No. 8 team vs. the SEC No. 8 team.

That's just ridiculous.

JT, I've been laughing all morning at the frankness of your post... I completely agree with you...

This just in, Baylor, in conjunction with Big XII officials, have anounced the Waco bowl, pitting the number 12 team from Big XII vs. the number 12 from the Big Ten.

Stallion wrote:I would jump at that because its a very real possibility.

Seriously... I can't imagine the number 8 teams both having the amount of wins to qualify, ever, in the same year.

'Course, the las time the 'Stangs played in Shreveport, it turn out pretty well... but that place is a dump.
Eric Dickerson in Pony Excess

"I've love winning man, it's like better than losing." - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh
ThadFilms

Postby BaylorGuy314 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:40 pm

In 2002, the Big 12 had 9 bowl eligible teams (although Texas A&M declined a bowl bid with their 6-6 record):

Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, Kansas State, Colorado, Iowa State, and Nebraska.

In 2003, the Big 12 had 8 bowl eligible teams:

Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, Missouri, Nebraska, and Kansas.

In 2002, the SEC had 9 bowl eligible teams: Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, and Kentucky from the East and Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Arkansas, and Mississippi from the West.

In 2003 and 2004, the SEC only had 7 bowl eligible teams.

So, the Big 12 would've met the criteria for 2 out of 3 years. The SEC would've met it 1 out of 3 years.
BaylorGuy314

Postby DiamondM75 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:48 pm

But, in 2004, the SEC had only 7 bowl eligible teams, which means CUSA would be in. I think it would be very unlikely for both conference's 8th team to be eligible every year. CUSA needs to get this deal done, because we would probably be in almost every year.
Just send 'da money.
DiamondM75
Hall of Famer

Postby LonghornFan68 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:08 pm

So Thad, when are you going to pitch the idea of the Toilet Bowl to the NCAA?
Official Cult of Chris Phillips Member
LonghornFan68
Heisman

Postby ThadFilms » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:22 pm

LonghornFan68 wrote:So Thad, when are you going to pitch the idea of the Toilet Bowl to the NCAA?

I believe that's what we're playing when Baylor rolls in to town.

-------

The Oxy-Flush Toilet Bowl

See all the action from the Toilet Bowl Championship Series... only on OLN2!!!
Eric Dickerson in Pony Excess

"I've love winning man, it's like better than losing." - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh
ThadFilms

Postby mustang_of_smu » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:42 pm

Two things to add.

They already have the Toilet bowl but it goes under the name New Orleans Bowl, and if the Big 12 continues to add bowls Baylor may not have to win a big 12 game to get into one!
mustang_of_smu
Recruit

Return to Football