PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New Orleans Flooding

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

New Orleans Flooding

Postby Nacho » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:39 pm

This thing in New Orleans is getting very serious. Flooding is worsening. I'm now seriously wondering if Tulane can play this fall. I know that is the least of their worries but this is a football board. My friend's son goes to Xavier in NO. Currently he is in Baton Rouge. He is now going to transfer to a college in the Dallas area. NO is going to be in bad shape for a long time. Thoughts and prayers are with all affected. Do you think Tulane can play the season?
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: New Orleans Flooding

Postby JudgeChamber » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:46 pm

Nacho wrote:This thing in New Orleans is getting very serious. Flooding is worsening. I'm now seriously wondering if Tulane can play this fall. I know that is the least of their worries but this is a football board. My friend's son goes to Xavier in NO. Currently he is in Baton Rouge. He is now going to transfer to a college in the Dallas area. NO is going to be in bad shape for a long time. Thoughts and prayers are with all affected. Do you think Tulane can play the season?

I'll be praying for the boy. I hope my pagan Baptist prayers are ok with you.
JudgeChamber
Scout Team

Postby Nacho » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:54 pm

JC I don't think you are a pagan. I was raised in the Baptist church. I am very well acquainted with it. I like to give the Baptists a hard time but really I have a lot of respect for that church. When I got married my wife and I couldn't agree on a church. We went to a lot of different denominations. The one that suited us best was the Methodist church. Nothing against the Baptists. Stay strong in your faith.
Nacho

Postby huntnfish » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:02 pm

there is a good chance Tulane football could be practicing and living in Dallas shortly
huntnfish
Varsity

Postby JudgeChamber » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:04 pm

Nacho wrote:JC I don't think you are a pagan. I was raised in the Baptist church. I am very well acquainted with it. I like to give the Baptists a hard time but really I have a lot of respect for that church. When I got married my wife and I couldn't agree on a church. We went to a lot of different denominations. The one that suited us best was the Methodist church. Nothing against the Baptists. Stay strong in your faith.

Two of my best friends got married last year. Their occupations: Wife is in her last year studying to be a Methodist minister (just finished at SMU) and the husband was just ordained a minister in the Baptist church (Baylor grad and just finished at DTS).

My comment was just a joke. I appreciate the encouragement.
JudgeChamber
Scout Team

Postby SMU Football Blog » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:13 pm

huntnfish wrote:there is a good chance Tulane football could be practicing and living in Dallas shortly

Maybe a couple will get the taste of it and want to transfer....
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby huntnfish » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:15 pm

they could be here until they play us
huntnfish
Varsity

Postby ponyte » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:18 pm

One can suspect that Tulane will have serious decisions to make in the next few days. One can imagine that plans have been made for a disaster such as Katrina. Whether those plans include football is unknown. Tulane has, one suspects, much more pressing issues (mundane things like get computers up and running so payrolls can be met and so forth) than football.

I have a sister that lives in Metairie. Her husband’s office is right across the street form the Stupordome. Needless to say, they are very concerned about returning to the NO area. Based on brief conversations with them, NO is in for a long, difficult and expensive recovery. One can assume that TU will also face challenges.

Bottom line, one would not be surprised if TU cancelled the season. Or, if TU plays and has a poor season, one would hope that the Bottom Ten would exclude TU from consideration.
ponyte

Postby huntnfish » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:21 pm

ponyte,

I disagree, football will help take their minds off the hurricane and what if they had a great season, what a rallying point that could be for the university and city
huntnfish
Varsity

Postby SMU Football Blog » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:31 pm

Where are they going to play?
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby jtstang » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:13 pm

As somebody whose family hails from small south LA towns with names like Thibodeaux and Labadieville, I am thankful that my family was spared the worst of the storm, suffering only minor wind damage and the usual power outages.

As somebody who fell in love with New Orleans on my first trip as a kid over 30 years ago, I am heartbroken by what is happening in the Big Easy now. To be teased initially that the storm had not wreaked the expected havoc, only to find that it was the lake levees, rather than the river levees, that gave way after the main part of the storm passed, makes me sad beyond words. New Orleans is not historic, it is living HISTORY, particularly the French Quarter, and watching it slowly submerge, for me, is unbelievable.
jtstang

Postby PlanoStang » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:27 pm

SMU Football Blog wrote:Where are they going to play?

Maybe Texas Stadium, or Mesquite Memorial holds around 20,000. Has
SMU got room in various classes for about 100 students?

How large is UTA's stadium? Maybe UTA could host them academically and athletically to give UTA's students a taste of having a football team again.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Diamond Girl » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:35 pm

Out of curiosity, how many does the HP stadium hold? It's a bit closer to campus than the others. In any event, we need to welcome these kids to SMU and help them through this any way we can.
Everything we want is on the other side of difficult.
Diamond Girl
Heisman

Postby ThadFilms » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:25 pm

Why not have them play at Ford?

If NO, as a whole, and the Superdome, in specific, isn't ready, their only home game before playing us is on the 17th... the Ponies will be in Aggieland.

However, my assumption would be Shreveport.... as the Independence Bowl... crappy facility, good size, and most importantly in Louisiana. I think that might be the option.

You'd have to hope that the Superdome will be repaired by Oct. 1

Of course, at a time like this, there are much more important things than football.

A heartfelt welcome to all the Green Wave players. And our thoughts are with all those left behind.
Eric Dickerson in Pony Excess

"I've love winning man, it's like better than losing." - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh
ThadFilms

Return to Football