PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU in Big 12?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU in Big 12?

Postby RE Tycoon » Sat Feb 01, 2003 3:28 pm

Let me just say before everyone jumps on me, I'm just throwing this out here for arguements sake, and I'm only repeating rumors I've heard. I don't know if I believe this myself. I've heard that SMU is in serious consideration for a Big 12 spot in the upcomong conference realignment. But there are stipulations... We have to win 2 of our 3 games against Big 12 oppenents this year, have an avg. attendance above 15k (more of an NCAA rule), and some other things I'm sure. If this is true , I believe we have a shot because attached to this is an ungodly amount of money SMU is willing to pay for an entrance fee (25+ million) I'm assuming funded by our well off alum.

When I first heard this rumor I shrugged it off, but more and more people are talking about it on campus, some of them athletes, so I decided to post this and see if anyone knows anything about this. Again, I don't know if I take stock in any of this, but maybe someone else knows more and could clarify this rumor.

Go 'Stangs!

[This message has been edited by Current STUDent (edited 02-01-2003).]
#NewLobCity
RE Tycoon
Hall of Famer

Re: SMU in Big 12?

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sat Feb 01, 2003 4:13 pm

Three words: LOWER THE DOSAGE!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!"
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony Fan » Sat Feb 01, 2003 5:09 pm

Nice rumor but absolutely impossible at this time in our life cycle.
Pony Fan
Heisman

Postby MustangKurt20 » Sat Feb 01, 2003 5:45 pm

I am also a current student and have heard similar rumors from athletes/alumni/coaches. Again I don't AGREE with this rumor or really think it will happen but I have heard it.

Kurt
Basically, I'm a badass.
MustangKurt20
Junior Varsity

Postby StangEsq » Sat Feb 01, 2003 6:26 pm

Hey maybe it is true... after all, that scenario would require us to beat either Tech in Lubbock or Oklahoma State, which walked all over us this year. Both are pretty far-fetched propositions.
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Feb 01, 2003 7:14 pm

well, rumors are fun but reality is brutal at times. The only way anything happens in the Big XII is if the Big 10 gives up on eventually having Notre Dame join and they invite Missou (that's been rumored for years). If the Big XII then needed a 12th member, don't be surprised if they look to someone like BYU as a 1st choice, but I think at this point TCU would be more attractive than SMU. I'm sure Baylor would love to have either SMU or TCU join the Big XII South, which might mean moving TTech to the North division.

The more realistic scenario is SMU re-joining TCU in a more regional conference (a new SWC?) comprised of current mid-majors from the WAC, CUSA & SunBelt. I'm sure Baylor might like to join that group, too...but I wonder how many Bears would be willing to give up that $5 mil revenue sharing check just so they can be more competitive?
Charleston Pony

Postby leopold » Sat Feb 01, 2003 10:17 pm

I specifically remember in the summer of '97 a respected preseason college football magazine (either Athlon's or Lindy's) had thier predictions for what would happen for the next realignment for college football. They predicted that Notre Dame would stay independent, Temple would be kicked out of the Big East, Miami would be invited to join the ACC, TCU would join Con-USA, and SMU would be chosen to fill a vacancy in the Big XII (In this scenario it was Colorado leaving to join BYU in creating the PAC-12). Most of the picks have come true, of cource were still waiting to see about SMU. Remember, it's all about timing - When the SWC broke up and Rice, SMU, and TCU went to the WAC it was Houston everybody thought would be in trouble. Then Con-USA came along and now, conference-wise, they are doing better then we are. Next TCU peaked and joined what option was presented to them. If SMU peaks at the right time then would COULD find ourselves in a much better situation than many believe.
If anybody either saw that article I am talking about or knows how to go about finding it, please mention it - I've been looking for it.
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ThadFilms » Sat Feb 01, 2003 11:03 pm

I remember an article, it might be the same one. I have no idea the magazine, but it stated after the sucsess of the 1997 season stating that SMU was a good canidate to join the Big XII. Based on continued sucsess.

Of course the sucsess was short lived...

Baylor getting the nod over SMU to begin with had much more to do with politics then our ecent past. We were in line ahead of them but the Governor had gone to Baylor, and used her political clout to push out the Mustangs.

Also, when the Big XII, the name and logo for the Big XIV was also copyrighted. That may not mean much, but it means something.

Regardless, let's focus on winning ball games. If Phil can give us a couple of winning seasons (like we know he can)... then who knows?

But, I might add, regardless of the veracity of the rumor- there is a huge, if unseen, push for SMU in the Big XII.

[This message has been edited by PonyExpress83 (edited 02-01-2003).]
Eric Dickerson in Pony Excess

"I've love winning man, it's like better than losing." - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh
ThadFilms

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sun Feb 02, 2003 1:52 am

I'll go out on the 50-yard line at Ford Stadium and eat the turf if SMU ever ends up in the Big XII!!!

------------------
MrMustang1965

Postby boulevard bum » Sun Feb 02, 2003 4:10 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MrMustang1965:
<B>I'll go out on the 50-yard line at Ford Stadium and eat the turf if SMU ever ends up in the Big XII!!!

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's your phone number? I'd like to feed it to you. From what I've heard the conference realignment should come around 2005. That means we've got a little time to get our act together. I honestly believe that a decent SMU team is more attractive to the Big 12 than a CON-USA champion TCU team is. This opinion comes from simply looking at what each university has to offer. We look more like a Big 12 team and that includes our facilities. As far as beating the Big 12 one out of 2 times..anything is possible and we can get lucky. I'm actually kind of worried about the Baylor game. I know they suck but how much better have we been in the past few years??? But anyway back to the topic..With continued recruiting success I think 2004 could be a solid season. That means 2005 could be a great year. You can go ahead and blast me but I'll be feeding you all dirt(or artificial grass from what I've heard) in a few years.
boulevard bum
Junior Varsity

Postby StangEsq » Sun Feb 02, 2003 5:52 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PonyExpress83:
<B>But, I might add, regardless of the veracity of the rumor- there is a huge, if unseen, push for SMU in the Big XII.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Push from whom/what?
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby Bergermeister » Sun Feb 02, 2003 11:15 am

The whole idea is [deleted] we todd did (at this point in time)
Bergermeister

Postby Horseradish » Sun Feb 02, 2003 1:37 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bergermeister:
<B>The whole idea is [deleted] we todd did (at this point in time)</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[deleted] we todd did? could you translate that to english?
Horseradish
Recruit

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sun Feb 02, 2003 5:47 pm

Boulevard Bum: I'll be at the spring game on April 12. See ya there!

------------------

[This message has been edited by MrMustang1965 (edited 02-02-2003).]
MrMustang1965

Postby leadpony » Sun Feb 02, 2003 8:05 pm

in order for smu to get into the big XII we would have to run a perfect PR campaign starting right now. and they are not going to do that.
also as a student i can tell you that if you beleive half the rumors that go around this campus you are crazy. smu got snubbed from the c-usa my freshman year. there is no way that the big XII would let us in. that is like going rejected by the ugly girl and then dating the prom queen.
leadpony
Recruit

Next

Return to Football