PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

ESPN reports

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

ESPN reports

Postby Mike Damone » Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:55 am

Same things you've already heard. I really hope this doesn't blow up in our faces now that the story has gone national.

<A HREF="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1622260" TARGET=_blank>http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1622260</A>
The attitude dictates that you don't care whether she comes, stays, lays, or prays. I mean whatever happens, your toes are still tappin'. Now when you got that, then you have the attitude.

-Me
Mike Damone
All-American

Re: ESPN reports

Postby OldPony » Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:04 am

Boy- the exposure at SMU has been good for our AD- Larry Copeland.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:07 am

Exactly Damone. If Turner and Copeland aren't damn sure this is a done deal they better get on the phone with DMN and tell them to tone it down. If this blows up for any reason the repercussions of getting up the hopes of your fan base will be ugly. We can't take another slap. I really wonder why Copeland is acknowledging anything publicly. Banowsky stonewalled.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mike Damone » Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:09 am

Also, if this doesn't work out - which could happen - how many times can we [deleted] off the WAC before they just tell us to hit the road.
The attitude dictates that you don't care whether she comes, stays, lays, or prays. I mean whatever happens, your toes are still tappin'. Now when you got that, then you have the attitude.

-Me
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby Eddie P » Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:50 am

The WAC is in no position to tell anybody to hit the road at the moment.

Trust Copeland...the situation today and back a few years ago when we got stiffed from Conference USA are completely different. Completely different.

[This message has been edited by Eddie P (edited 09-24-2003).]

Postby Stallion » Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:04 pm

That's funny-Trust Copeland-let me spell this out for you-if SMU gets into CUSA it is by default. Copeland has done nothing to get us into CUSA except to cash somebody else check for $57 million dollars. If SMU gets in it will purely on the basis of the heritage and tradition of this program pre-Kenneth Pye-So excuse me if I don't uncork a champagne bottle to toast the ineptitude of the SMU administration for all they done for (or to) SMU. No program in Division 1A has accomplished less tangible success in the last 15 years than SMU.

[This message has been edited by Stallion (edited 09-24-2003).]
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby SMUguy » Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:19 pm

I disagree. Copeland has:

* Convinced alums and donors that SMU football is a viable product that merits their donation toward what is now the nicest (if not the biggest) stadium in Dallas.

* Hired a nationally respected football coach who once won the national award for being the nation's top assistant coach and has the endorsement of coaches nationwide and who has improved recruiting exponentially.

* Maintained a commitment to the "other" (non-revenue) sports through moves such as keeping Schellas Hyndman when he had offers from other schools (with much larger athletic budgets) and MLS, and by convincing top coaches (John Cossaboon) to come to SMU.

* Managed to increase corporate sponsorship and private donations to the athletic department every year.

All of those factors, and more, will play into the decision by any conference when deciding whether to offer a spot in another league. I'd say Copeland has done a hell of a lot.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:25 pm

From the "Things You'll Never See from Stallion" department

*Hey, you know you're right

*I hadn't thought of that

*I could be wrong

*Good point

*I may not know all there is to know about every subject on earth
I’m coming home
I’m coming home
Tell the World I’m coming home
ponyboy

Postby Stallion » Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:38 pm

Show me the Bottom Line then if I'm wrong-remember we have a COMMITMENT to winning and therefore will fire coaches and presumable ADs for ineffectiveness. How about ZERO Football Championships, ZERO Basketball Championships, ZERO Bowl Games, ZERO NCAA Tournament appearances and ZERO Top 25 appearances by the Football & Basketball Team or upsets of Top 25 teams in how many years. Show me a school that has accomplished less in Division 1A. HINT: there is none in Texas.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby Mike Damone » Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:43 pm

Can we count the championships I've won on NCAA Football 2002 and 2003?

Easy on the trigger finger Stallion. One post is plenty.

-Me
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby WorldStang » Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:54 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stallion:
<B> Show me the Bottom Line then if I'm wrong-remember we have a COMMITMENT to winning and therefore will fire coaches and presumable ADs for ineffectiveness. How about ZERO Football Championships, ZERO Basketball Championships, ZERO Bowl Games, ZERO NCAA Tournament appearances and ZERO Top 25 appearances by the Football & Basketball Team or upsets of Top 25 teams in how many years. Show me a school that has accomplished less in Division 1A. HINT: there is none in Texas.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Baylor, UTEP, Houston, Rice.. all of which are in Texas if I remember.. and none have produced anything you suggested. Granted, the football team and basketball team has not won at the level any of us had hoped.. but last I checked the commitment was in the 2nd or 3rd year, our football coach in his second year with 2 sophomore QBs and a slew of freshman. Our basketball team wins.. but can't get into any tourneys.. and underachieves in most big games, but we have one of the best recruits ever come to SMU and is now in his second year. A new football stadium has been built on-campus.. that many, including a friend of mine from USC, called one of the best in the country. There are discussions of revamping Moody, the campus has more enrolled than ever before and SMU's reputation continues to excel academically.

So where are we going.. looks like up to me. We have a chance in a conference that sees a pro-active administration who wants to win and is doing everthing they can to win.

Associate Atheletic Directors have called and met with 10 of my friends and myself this past week to drum up support.. not money.. but asking what more they can do. Explaining their vision and trying to change with the times.. as other teams are being snatched from conference to conference.

These people want our help not criticism.. so help us out Stallion. With all these beefs you seem to have.. throw in some solutions or tell me where things are wrong besides the obvious that I've already stated. This isn't a blast at you or your post.. just want to know what more can be done besides joining a stronger conference and other things that are on the table?

[This message has been edited by WorldStang (edited 09-24-2003).]
What we obtain too cheap.. we esteem too lightly. It is persistence alone that gives everything its value.
WorldStang
All-American

Postby Eddie P » Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:56 pm

Stallion-

Do you work at all during the day or do you just wait until an opportune time arises to pen your usual spiel on this web page? Does your computer beep everytime a new post appears on this board or do you just push refresh every 30 seconds or so? Just curious.

But again, thanks for your wonderful insight into everything.

Postby Eddie P » Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:59 pm

Worldstang-

Stallion is a coward. Stallion has been contacted before by people supporting the athletic department and has simply ignored their queries. Unless they have incorrect contact info on Stallion, which I do not believe they do. Therefore, I consider someone a COWARD if all they do is rant and rave on a web board but then refuse to speak to anyone who could possibly change anything. Your retort, Stallion???????

[This message has been edited by Eddie P (edited 09-24-2003).]

Postby Stallion » Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:03 pm

UTEP(bowl game), Baylor(several bowl games), Rice(SWC Co-Championship),Houston(CUSA Championship and several bowl games) all since SMU has. Throw in NTSU too with their multiple bowl games and Sun Belt Championships. Hey if we are going to fire each and every coach that is hired perhaps we need to start moving up the food-chain until we get someone with the balls to tell the administration that they don't know what the hell they are doing.

[This message has been edited by Stallion (edited 09-24-2003).]

Stallion

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:06 pm

Riddle me this, why would the athletic dept possibly know who Stallion is? Did the webmaster of this site give an email address out or something? Whats up with that?
Hoop Fan

Next

Return to Football