PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

IF Chad leaves...who's on the list for our next HC?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: IF Chad leaves...who's on the list for our next HC?

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:46 am

Lebanese4Life wrote:don't understand all the speculation. haven't seen a single source that says HCCM is gone.

Why I think he's staying put:

1) The job is not finished. He always speaks about 'sticking to the process' and 'take it one day at a time' and his commitment to getting this thing turned around. We've improved, but we're not there yet.

2) Leaving the program would be devastating to his players, especially the ones he recruited last couple of years. He strikes me as a loyal guy and i'd hope he wouldn't want to ditch his players / staff.

3) Read on here that his son is a star QB at HPHS. Would suck to uproot his family, especially to frickin' Waco.

4) He's got a good thing going on here at SMU. We've seen glimpses of extraordinary play. We could make some real noise nationally in the next couple of years.

Just my 2 cents and trying to stay positive. If anyone has any reliable sources to share, please do. The constant speculating is driving me nuts!

Those are excellent points that I have yet to hear anyone provide a rebuttal. Also, Baylor is a ticking time bomb, who knows (not to get political but..) what the liberal NCAA will do to a somewhat conservative Baptist school. I would find that to be a deadly risk especially if it hits scholarship and chances to convince players to come to Baylor. He also has a wonderful chance to go 10-2 next season with the OOC schedule ready for frying, and that would be his exit season.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby jpe747 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:19 am

Lebanese4Life wrote:don't understand all the speculation. haven't seen a single source that says HCCM is gone.

1) The job is not finished. He always speaks about 'sticking to the process' and 'take it one day at a time' and his commitment to getting this thing turned around. We've improved, but we're not there yet.

2) Leaving the program would be devastating to his players, especially the ones he recruited last couple of years. He strikes me as a loyal guy and i'd hope he wouldn't want to ditch his players / staff.

3) Read on here that his son is a star QB at HPHS. Would suck to uproot his family, especially to frickin' Waco.

4) He's got a good thing going on here at SMU. We've seen glimpses of extraordinary play. We could make some real noise nationally in the next couple of years.

Just my 2 cents and trying to stay positive. If anyone has any reliable sources to share, please do. The constant speculating is driving me nuts!

Agreed with the above...Baylor doesn't make sense to me either. I could see him leaving for UT or A&M. Otherwise, it just doesn't seem like CM to me.
jpe747
Heisman

Postby ponyfan37 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:21 am

If he wants A&M it makes mores sense to stay. It's more impressive to rebuild SMU program than to follow Art Brile's on-field success at Baylor. Baylor is currently a better job, due to their recent success and new facilities. However, I do not understand going there as another stepping stone job.
Pony up!
ponyfan37
Varsity

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:26 am

My 1A and 1B would be Dykes and Beaty
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyfan37 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:33 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:My 1A and 1B would be Dykes and Beaty

Meant to put Dykes on my list. Beaty would be interesting. He would recruit really well, but I'm not sure if he would be the best coach. It's just hard to tell off of his track record. He was only a coordinator for one season and that was when he was co-OC at KU in 2011. He went straight from being a position coach to HC. It's too early to tell from his work at KU. He may have come into an even bigger mess than Morris, plus his competition is tougher. I do think SMU is a better job than KU. Especially for someone who recruits Texas.
Pony up!
ponyfan37
Varsity

Postby Comet » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:58 am

I still think if Chad is eyeing the A&M job he has a much better shot of having a winning record here next year and then transitioning to College Station. But whatever he decides I will wish him luck.
Comet
Hall of Famer

Postby StallionsModelT » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am

TemptoTalk was very telling last night for those of us in attendance. There will be an announcement made on Sunday/Monday.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby Pony Boss » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:18 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:TemptoTalk was very telling last night for those of us in attendance. There will be an announcement made on Sunday/Monday.

Kurt, are they announcing that he is leaving or are they announcing that SMU has zeroed in on a new HC?
When should we know we have hired a new HC?
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby smupony94 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:22 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:My 1A and 1B would be Dykes and Beaty

You have always liked Dykes
smupony94

Postby leopold » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:27 pm

Does anybody know if Dave Aranda, the LSU defensive coordinator who was stolen from Wisconsin last season, can recruit? He's going to be a HC soon and has a monster of a defense.
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:01 pm

A guy at work told me that if Chad leaves we'd
be crazy to not go after the old ball coach Steve Spurrier.
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby StallionsModelT » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:04 pm

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:A guy at work told me that if Chad leaves we'd

LOL.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby ponyfan37 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:06 pm

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:A guy at work told me that if Chad leaves we'd

That would honestly be awesome. Dude is a badass.
Pony up!
ponyfan37
Varsity

Postby Smulaw90 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:13 pm

Holy crap I just saw George Siefert at Love Field. Now that the Cowboys are on a roll, his only reason for being in town is (1) the SMU job; (2) Baylor job; or (3) any other valid reason a person might find themselves in Dallas in November.

(tongue in cheek post)
Smulaw90
Junior Varsity

Postby Mustang11 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:03 pm

jpe747 wrote:

Agreed with the above...Baylor doesn't make sense to me either. I could see him leaving for UT or A&M. Otherwise, it just doesn't seem like CM to me.

I think $25 million guaranteed may help plus new facilities, better crowd, etc...hoped we could get one more year from him but all signs point to him being gone. Must be frustrating for the boosters, Rick Hart and company. Worked hard to get Chad and I for one will be really sad to see him gone.
Mustang11
Junior Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Football