PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Rick Hart statement re: Chad Morris, football coach position

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Rick Hart statement re: Chad Morris, football coach posi

Postby JoeKidd » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:32 am

So I have now moved onto the emotional stage of Acceptance (took longer than I thought given we all knew Chad had to leave as soon as Jimbo signed up with the Ags). All I want is to start hearing more chatter about all of the good candidates we're interviewing. Orlando and Graham are good starts....who else (Sumlin and Kiffin are not realistic choices....although I would love to think we could somehow get Sumlin here) and then I want to know how we're going to keep our recruiting class together and I'll be fine and put the whole #PonyUpTempo thing behind me.
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Postby Greenwich Pony » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:13 am

Yes, I'm not seeing anything on the IPF on SMUMustangs facilities.

I was okay with https://www.smu.edu/News/2016/athletics ... 26july2016. It seemed nice, but by no means a "grand dame" IPF. No explanation why we're not doing this other than something about not being able to also build a soccer stadium. (Really? We seem to have a nice Lacrosse stadium but no varsity Lacrosse team, AND a soccer field is only a few yards wider than a Lacrosse field- we can't use that stadium for soccer too without some improvements that must be cheaper than building a whole new stadium?). AND we're tearing up Barr (and presumably not replacing that either) to build an "okay" facility that continues or "Meh" football tradition. I am glad that we are moving forward with an IPF but I am disturbed by the "Bait and switch" and the fact that it is greatly reduced, which will probably negate the point of having it in the first place. I don't want to waste other people's money. I give what I can every year and that's the point. If we can't really afford to do things right, maybe we need to refocus our energies.
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Postby Nacho » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:20 am

We got left behind. We're trying to get back in. Its hard. We will die a withering death if we don't get back in pretty soon. Did i leave out anything.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:29 am

Greenwich Pony wrote:Yes, I'm not seeing anything on the IPF on SMUMustangs facilities.

I was okay with https://www.smu.edu/News/2016/athletics ... 26july2016. It seemed nice, but by no means a "grand dame" IPF. No explanation why we're not doing this other than something about not being able to also build a soccer stadium. (Really? We seem to have a nice Lacrosse stadium but no varsity Lacrosse team, AND a soccer field is only a few yards wider than a Lacrosse field- we can't use that stadium for soccer too without some improvements that must be cheaper than building a whole new stadium?). AND we're tearing up Barr (and presumably not replacing that either) to build an "okay" facility that continues or "Meh" football tradition. I am glad that we are moving forward with an IPF but I am disturbed by the "Bait and switch" and the fact that it is greatly reduced, which will probably negate the point of having it in the first place. I don't want to waste other people's money. I give what I can every year and that's the point. If we can't really afford to do things right, maybe we need to refocus our energies.

http://smumustangs.com/galleries/?gallery=396
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby smusic 00 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:32 am

None of what is posted online will be built.

BOT is having their meetings this week where the next moves are being approved.
smusic 00

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:33 am

Stallion wrote:
Greenwich Pony wrote:Yes, I'm not seeing anything on the IPF on SMUMustangs facilities.

http://smumustangs.com/galleries/?gallery=396

Right that's the same 2016 rendering. People are claiming they're breaking ground by the old natatorium off of Abbott which this rendering is not next to. This rendering is putting the IPF between Ford & Binkley Garage.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smusic 00 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:38 am

That rendering is moot. The soccer stadium is not moving. The practice field is not moving. Everything posted about Perkins/Barr is correct.
smusic 00

Postby Bergermeister » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:40 am

I hate fake renderings. :wink:
Bergermeister

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:57 am

smusic 00 wrote:That rendering is moot. The soccer stadium is not moving. The practice field is not moving. Everything posted about Perkins/Barr is correct.

I hope this isn't true. The rendering actually makes us look like we want to be a P5 school. If we are doing a dinky tent setup in a park, why bother?
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Greenwich Pony » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:01 pm

My point exactly. Badly sited, too small. It's a long-term waste of out resources if we don't do this the right way.

I know we now have facility funding rules, but this is essentially crossroads. If the school does not put proper support and commitment into the football program now, we really should seriously reconsider our future in the sport. AND the soccer program, once a regular top-flight program hasn't seen any love in years- the soccer stadium is inadequate as well. I know we don't get P5 money, but if there was ever a strategic time to invest a little as if we did, this is it. Right now.

And to reiterate, I would happily trade it all to see SMU a top 20-30 academic institution, but that doesn't seem to be happening. I'm not a football first advocate by anyone's stretch of the imagination but if we are going to continue to swim along with the big boys, then we need to pony up like a big boy program this time. If we're not going to do that, I'd rather spend the money on the library, endowed professorships, financial aid programs and some upper class housing. It's a better investment for the school long term.
Last edited by Greenwich Pony on Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Postby RGV Pony » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:03 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:
smusic 00 wrote:That rendering is moot. The soccer stadium is not moving. The practice field is not moving. Everything posted about Perkins/Barr is correct.

I hope this isn't true. The rendering actually makes us look like we want to be a P5 school. If we are doing a dinky tent setup in a park, why bother?
We aren't doing a dinky tent setup
RGV Pony

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:08 pm

Well I'll stop being negative once I see a new rendering but it just feels like we are going to half-ass this thing.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RGV Pony » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:10 pm

SMU isn't about to put a quonset hut at the corner of main & main
RGV Pony

Postby ericdickerson4life » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:15 pm

Since when does SMU half [deleted] a building on campus?
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby Greenwich Pony » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:19 pm

I don't think anyone is seriously thinking Quonset hut, but even a "nice but comparable" IPF does not get it done. and is wasting our money and resources.

We had a good plan that doesn't seem unreasonable but was not a "grand dame" plan, and we're backing off it for something even less than that. It's killing the program with a thousand paper cuts and damning it with faint praise. If we can't afford the earlier rendering, then we really should reassess our priorities.
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Football