PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Football Dominates 7 0n 7 tournament

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby jtstang » Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:23 pm

And let's not forget he lost his starting spot because of an injury--or so we were told...
jtstang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby huntnfish » Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:26 pm

What I have noticed about Phillips is he is a gamer when the lights come on. Everyone always talks how he doesn't practice well and doesn't throw a pretty ball. Hogwash! When it comes to Saturdays he seems to step it up and I believe he gives this team the best chance to win.
huntnfish
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:29 pm

oh let's also not forget that he made the STUPID COMMENT about possibly moving him to TE. I seriously doubt TE is in Phillips's plans.
Stallion

Postby Billy Joe » Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:30 pm

Who says Phillips is transferring? Let's hope not. What is more difficult for SMU football? 1) Recruiting quality Division 1-A players?, or 2) Keeping the players in school for their four years of eligibility? As a fan and alumni, I am getting sick and tired of players continually quiting and/or transferring. Not a good sign for Bennett and Company if Phillips transfers.
Billy Joe
All-American

Postby Mustangunner » Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:26 pm

why is it a concern that a kid may transfer who puts nothing into the program? Just because your benched because you can't throw a ball or read a defensive coverage...doesn't mean you have to just give up...But who needs him if the kid decides to quit on the team after he gets benched...some leader...some D1 QB
Mustangunner
Varsity

Postby davidsmu94 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:36 pm

Cause he's the best we got!

Red Wins Scrimmage, 26-14
Mustangs Show Improvement

Phillips Throws For 129 Yards

DALLAS (SMU) - The Red defeated the Blue, 26-14, in a spirited performance in the 2005 Red-Blue Spring Scrimmage at Gerald J. Ford Stadium on Saturday, April 9. The Mustangs showed improvements from 2004 in a number of areas, including quarterback play, the running game and defensive pressure.

Chris Phillips had the best numbers of the three signal callers, connecting on 15 of 19 passes for 129 yards and a score. The two-year starter looked comfortable in the offense and also ran for 15 yards on three carries. Jerad Romo was 10-of-16 for 75 yards while Tony Eckert threw for 87 yards on 13-of-19 passing. All three quarterbacks showed the type of play SMU will need in 2005 from the position and will likely continue their competition for the starting spot into the fall.
davidsmu94
Heisman

Postby PlanoStang » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:55 pm

Stallion wrote:Coach already told him he didn't have a chance of starting even after having by far the best performance of all the QBs at the Red/Blue Game. Why bother? Stupid comment-much more stupid than Cavan benching McClown after 8 Turnovers in 2 games. I'd be surprised if he came back.

7 on 7 tournaments during the summer are quite popular with HS players for several years. Passing is featured heavily. Tyler Lee won the 7 on 7 last year before winning one of the 5A state championships. I guess college 7 on 7 is only a year o 2 old?

Let's see, this is Eckert's SENIOR YEAR, and Phillips SOPHOMORE year with the med redshirt?? Maybe if Phillips isn't spoiled like you, he'll work hard to START next year at a DIV IA school. Hmmm, there's also being second string to come in like Mike Livingston did when Mac White gets hurt a few times during our 66 SWC Championship.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby giacfsp » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:38 am

Stallion wrote:oh let's also not forget that he made the STUPID COMMENT about possibly moving him to TE. I seriously doubt TE is in Phillips's plans.
Actually, I've heard that quote attributed to Coach Bennett, not Phillips. I highly doubt players announce their own position moves.
Let's not jump on the "Phillips to transfer" bandwagon, folks. I see no smoke to indicate the presence of fire, so there's no need to bring the gas can and matches.
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby jtstang » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:36 am

giacfsp wrote:Actually, I've heard that quote attributed to Coach Bennett, not Phillips. I highly doubt players announce their own position moves.

I think Stallion was referring to Bennett. He'll likely transfer. After all, he's a QB on the SMU roster, and there's precedent here.
jtstang

Postby KnuckleStang » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:40 pm

Well if he does transfer, he's a freaking p*ssy. Somebody put a big, fat bow in this guy's hair and send him home to mom. Instead of moping around about lack of PT behind 2 seniors, perhaps he should consider putting away the twinkies? And showing up to a voluntary workout? Or even the weight room, I'm not picky. I didn't hear Romo complaining much about lining up a few snaps at receiver last year. (And unlike Phillips, he's PLAYED in a couple of games that we've actually WON.)

This guy will/would have 2 full years of eligibility after Eckert/Romo are gone--that is, if he's not too fat to play by then. People are too quick to judge the coach in this kind of situation, when the player by all accounts is not holding up his end of the deal. All the accounts I've heard, anyway. Somebody give me some good news about Phillips. I haven't heard any.
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby RGV Pony » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:56 pm

Good POV, Knuckle Stang. I think you said what most of us think. There's dozens of players in predicaments just like Phillips who are better athletes, more skilled and were more highly recruited all across the country. Matt Flynn at LSU comes to mind.
RGV Pony

Postby jtstang » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:00 pm

My biggest problem here is that you're not supposed to lose your starting job because of injury, and that's what has apparently happened here. Or to go out in public and say your moving your starting QB to a different position after he comes back from the injury. Not a good sign to potential QB recruits.
jtstang

Postby SMU Football Blog » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:14 pm

jtstang wrote:My biggest problem here is that you're not supposed to lose your starting job because of injury, and that's what has apparently happened here. Or to go out in public and say your moving your starting QB to a different position after he comes back from the injury. Not a good sign to potential QB recruits.

Still not convinced there was a real injury.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponydawg » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:30 pm

This whole topic is being spawn by a funny comment that Jstang made saying "He'll be transferring soon, like all of our QB's ultimately do." Which i took as jstang being humorious and sarcastic due to our record of losing qb's.

Is this a statement that someone has actually heard or is everyone getting their thongs in a wad over a funny statement?

ihatetcu
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby jtstang » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:42 pm

ponydawg wrote:This whole topic is being spawn by a funny comment that Jstang made saying "He'll be transferring soon, like all of our QB's ultimately do."

That was only half-joking, based on our record with QBs. But half-serious, based on his statement about switching positions. As I recall, that's what sent the Tater packing.
jtstang

PreviousNext

Return to Football