PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Baylor Player Says They Will Win First Two Games

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby D » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:28 am

BleedingRed+Blue wrote:I thought it was Anthony Scotti. Not sure.

It was Scotti. That was not a fun game to watch besides getting to see the great Mark Humble lead the Ponies on a scoring drive during garbage time.
D
Varsity

Postby MattofUAB » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:27 am

Yeah, Baylor said the same thing about us last year, that we were their early win that was going to get their season off on the right foot. I liked all the Baylor fans I met, and really felt bad for their team because you could feel how bad they wanted to win; but when things started going bad (we scored 21 points in the first six minutes of the game) they just imploded, you could see in their eyes a look of "here we go again." They accepted that they were losing as a matter of course and seemed to give up.
MattofUAB

Postby El Cid » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:37 am

They accepted that they were losing as a matter of course and seemed to give up.

Not really, but if it makes you feel better, I'll let it slide.

The players were ticked at the new Juco QB that had thrown two interceptions. So much so that they basically wouldn't hang out with him and the dude felt so unwelcome that he transferred. Though true, there were some guys that needed to graduate.

Matt, if you're going to talk smack, you need to mention 2003's game, where a fluke play gave you a win.

Until then, you need to go help Watson Brown fix his hairpiece.
Forget you, sucka.
El Cid

Postby jtstang » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:10 am

El Cid wrote:[Not really, but if it makes you feel better, I'll let it slide.

The players were ticked at the new Juco QB that had thrown two interceptions. So much so that they basically wouldn't hang out with him and the dude felt so unwelcome that he transferred.

God that is such a better explanation than what the UAB guy said. You must've been really proud of your team that day.
jtstang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:17 am

yeah I'm ticked at the QB-I'm out of here! Can't wait to play a team that will quit because one guy made a mistake. "There I was-standing all alone in the end zone- and Jimmie Joe won't throw the ball to me because...."
Stallion

Postby MattofUAB » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:04 pm

I was on the sidelines and the Baylor players, most of them, looked like someone had just ran over their puppy when they got down early. They lost their edge. Some of the Defensive players would get people pumped up for a few plays, but for the most part they seemed to just be going through the motions once they got down. Every team will lose games, but strong teams never get defeated, the Baylor players looked defeated. And I am not saying that We arent above it because the same thing happend to us last year when we were 5-1 and went down to Tulane. They scored every posetion the first half, our offense kept up with them but the defensive guys, you could tell by looking at them that they didnt even want to go back on the field... they were defeated. We lost the game 59-55. After the game, and during most of the next week there was a whole lot of finger pointing over the loss. We had lost a game, but worse that that, we were defeated. It held over the next week and we lost to a BAD south florida team at home in one of the lowest points I have been associated with at UAB. After those two games we sort of got things back on track, but we never were quite the same. For that three week period we were a defeated football team, And it's not a fun thing to experience.
MattofUAB

Postby El Cid » Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:19 pm

Every team will lose games, but strong teams never get defeated, the Baylor players looked defeated

I said the same thing when you guys played Florida State.

Am I the only one working here?

My answer was a bit brief, sorry.

We brought in a bigshot juco QB last year.. But it just killed the team chemistry. Dude threw a good deep ball, but he just didn't get along with the rest of the team. My guess: they didn't like an outsider and he didnt't really care.

Is that a wuss reason? Definitely. It reflects poorly on the team. And yeah, they gave up against UAB that night, no doubt. But they gave up because this dude threw two Int's.

Our team was far worse in 2003 and it took a few bad calls and a fluke play for UAB to beat us.
Forget you, sucka.
El Cid

Postby BrianTinBigD » Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:29 pm

This board is getting rather pathetic when UAB and Baylor fans are talking smack to each other.
Class of '91
BrianTinBigD
Heisman

Postby El Cid » Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:33 pm

Point being, you can't take that performance without looking at the victory over A&M(A team that took Zero U to the wire) and the strong showings against Tech and Big 12 north champ ISU.

We all agree that neither team merits any chest thumping, but singling out any specific game is a half answer at best.
Forget you, sucka.
El Cid

Postby El Cid » Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:36 pm

C'mon Brian, you know you like it. :)

I'm just doing it because we get A&M and UT fans arguing with each other on the Baylor site.

Of course, this is the intellectual equivalent of a Hee Haw rerun, but hey, it's good for site traffic.
Forget you, sucka.
El Cid

Postby MattofUAB » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:04 pm

Our team was far worse in 2003 and it took a few bad calls and a fluke play for UAB to beat us.

We were up by a couple of scores and had the game in hand. We muffed a punt that gave yall a touchdown, then had our all-american QB get knocked out the game for a few series by a late hit, allowing yall to controll the ball and take the lead back. Our QB came back and dissected you on a 2 play 70 yard TD "drive" First play was for 30 yards, second was for 40. Both passes were caught by recievers being covered by the same slow DB who didnt belong on the same field with either of them. One of those recievers was a first round draft pick. The other reciever will probably be a draft pick next year, and the QB has some scouts talking top 10 pick.
MattofUAB

Postby jtstang » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:24 pm

Jesus, stop the UAB/Baylor talk already, I'm tired enough this afternoon as it is.
jtstang

Previous

Return to Football