PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sunday's DMN: SMU Craves an Early Win

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby LonghornFan68 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:58 pm

Mustangs35SMU wrote:
Stallion wrote:I personally don't understand why that wouldn't make any REAL SMU fan want to PUKE.

We have fake SMU fans? I thought those were only at UT and A&M?

Ouch.

I've probably been to more SMU games in the last 2 years than most of your alumni.
Official Cult of Chris Phillips Member
LonghornFan68
Heisman

Postby Sic_em » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:47 pm

Agree with the observation on playing 1-AA teams. Baylor rolled over a couple of 1-AA teams in recent years, Southern Illinois and Samford, but had very lackluster performances against Sam Houston and Texas State. The latter two programs can cause some problems for 1-A teams because they both get their share of 1-A transfers, plus they get good athletes that are 1-A quality but have to go 1-AA because of academics.
Sic_em
Junior Varsity

Postby LonghornFan68 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:49 pm

/\ Yes, but should SMU beat those teams and have a winning record, those games cannot be counted toward bowl eligibilty. I never condone playing teams outside of your division, at least when your talking about playing someone lower than yourself.
LonghornFan68
Heisman

Postby TxSt06 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:26 pm

You must be one of those T-shirt Longhorns that are so abundant. If you knew anything about college football you would know that any games against I-AA teams count towards bowl eligibility now. Why do you think so many lower I-A teams would schedule I-AA teams? They are trying to get a win anywhere they can. The problem is that most I-A schools know absolutely nothing about the I-AA teams they are playing (as in picking a random I-AA team just because they are I-AA, not knowng how good that I-AA is) and they lose (as SMU will to Texas State and Sam Houston). Then those losses look even worse, because the rest of the country knows jack [deleted] about I-AA. At least in I-AA we play for the game, and not for the money.

Oh and Sic'em, your observation is true about the talent, but most of the athletes do not go I-AA because of academics. Alot of I-AA schools have very good academics (the Ivy League plays I-AA football). JMU, Delaware, Colgate, etc. all have better academics then 1/2 of I-A schools. Hell even Texas State's admission standards are in the Top 5 in Texas. Public schools of course.
Texas State- The Finest Place in Texas
TxSt06

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:35 pm

...looks like this guy's bucking to take MeanGreenGem's place on www.ponyfans.com.
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby TxSt02 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:36 am

MrMustang1965 wrote:...looks like this guy's bucking to take MeanGreenGem's place on www.ponyfans.com.

Because he speaks the truth? Is this Nazi Germany?
TxSt02

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:03 am

MrMustang1965 wrote:...looks like this guy's bucking to take MeanGreenGem's place on www.ponyfans.com.

Is that possible? :o

Question to whoever ^ is...why are you even on this board? We dont play you guys anytime soon...
Mustangs35SMU
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU Football Blog » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:11 am

TxSt06 wrote:You must be one of those T-shirt Longhorns that are so abundant. If you knew anything about college football you would know that any games against I-AA teams count towards bowl eligibility now. Why do you think so many lower I-A teams would schedule I-AA teams? They are trying to get a win anywhere they can. The problem is that most I-A schools know absolutely nothing about the I-AA teams they are playing (as in picking a random I-AA team just because they are I-AA, not knowng how good that I-AA is) and they lose (as SMU will to Texas State and Sam Houston). Then those losses look even worse, because the rest of the country knows jack [deleted] about I-AA. At least in I-AA we play for the game, and not for the money.

86% and rising. Last year, two I-AA teams got legitimate wins against I-A teams.

<<shudder>>
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SouthernMustang » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:06 am

Smack from fans from Texas State- SAN MARCOS?? If you look up their official name, they can only keep the "Texas State" by itself until the "system" adds another campus.

I have no problems with schools like Texas State, Sam Houston -- they're similar to schools like Univ. of Southern Alabama, etc. They're not as hard to get into, not as expensive, usually good teaching and nursing programs which are important to have, and they give more people the chance to get educated... but why the hell you would come to an SMU board and start talking smack is ridiculous.

Y'all lost 72-8 to New Mexico. That's not a discrepancy in the levels of D1 and D1AA? Your claim to how close y'all are is a 7 point loss to ... Baylor. Guess what, in our school's worst year ever, we only lost by 3. So I guess we know that we're at least 4 points better than you. Y'all haven't had a winning season in D-1AA since at least 2001 (ESPN doesn't go back that far). SMU has won 10 games against D1 competition since 2001. Pathetic? Yes. How many has TX State won? 0 ... let me repeat that. Z-E-R-O. We've beat Tulsa 3 out of the last 4 years -- you got bushwacked by them the one time you played them.

Would I want SMU to play William & Mary or Delaware? No. Those teams scare even the big(ger) boys sometimes. But, Texas State? SMU will win by at least 17 points. And that's sad that it could possibly be that close from SMU's standpoint.

Didn't y'all just get put on probation by the NCAA?? That'll really help y'all out.

Question, you say you're 25 and making all of this $ ... but your little name on here is TxState06. I'm thinking that's the year you graduate. But certainly you weren't that foolish to claim your making the big bucks and putting your graduating year on your screen name?
SouthernMustang
Scout Team

Postby SMU Football Blog » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:17 am

Texas State likes to mix in a winning season in I-AA every decade or so. They went 7-4 in 2000 and in 1991, but we all remember the glory days of 1977-84 when they had 7 winning seasons in a row, don't we?
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby LonghornFan68 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:48 pm

TxSt06 wrote:You must be one of those T-shirt Longhorns that are so abundant. If you knew anything about college football you would know that any games against I-AA teams count towards bowl eligibility now. Why do you think so many lower I-A teams would schedule I-AA teams? They are trying to get a win anywhere they can. The problem is that most I-A schools know absolutely nothing about the I-AA teams they are playing (as in picking a random I-AA team just because they are I-AA, not knowng how good that I-AA is) and they lose (as SMU will to Texas State and Sam Houston). Then those losses look even worse, because the rest of the country knows jack [deleted] about I-AA. At least in I-AA we play for the game, and not for the money.

Oh and Sic'em, your observation is true about the talent, but most of the athletes do not go I-AA because of academics. Alot of I-AA schools have very good academics (the Ivy League plays I-AA football). JMU, Delaware, Colgate, etc. all have better academics then 1/2 of I-A schools. Hell even Texas State's admission standards are in the Top 5 in Texas. Public schools of course.

Well, I wasn't aware of that. :o However, you don't know anything about me so don't pretend like you do. I haven't missed a single UT home game since I began attending in 1997. I have also traveled to many out-of-town games as well. You, however, seem to get off on trolling internet BBS's and pretending how you're so much smarter than everyone forgetting the fact that your belong to a second-rate school that doesn't belong in the same breath as SMU or UT. Go find another sandbox to play in.
LonghornFan68
Heisman

Previous

Return to Football