PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The Bastardation of SMU History

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby MrMustang1965 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:25 pm

SmooBoy wrote:Speaking of which, is it a figment of my imagination or should we be listening to someone who has whined 3833 times (and counting) on a "fan" Web site? Come on Stal, I know you can mix in some positivity every thousand posts or so...
...or should you be listening to someone who has 'shined' 3017 times (and counting) on a "fan" Web site? :wink:
1982Express wrote:...lets find the moron who wrote this thing and beat him senseless!
Hate to tell ya this but it was done by committee. Better get some more bats.
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Lefty » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:38 pm

1982Express wrote: .... These moments are meant to educate the young, bring back good memories for the old, and maybe, just maybe, let us talk about the good things in SMU history and not always talk about how we have not done so well lately and how the death penalty hurt us....
A-FREAKIN'-MEN!
There have been a lot of amazing moments, accomplishments, players and coaches in SMU football, and it must pain the "sky is falling, but only on SMU" crowd to admit it. Beating Houston a few years after the Astrodome debacle was a great thing. Opening Ford Stadium with a win over Kansas was a great thing. Etc., etc., etc. Deal with it.
Lefty
All-American

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:10 pm

Actually Stallion, I counted 22. Include the ‘miracle’ and opening of Ford and you are at 24. During the past 16 years, when we've been arguably the WORST program in the nation, we have won 46 games, so you are correct, for every 2 wins, 1 of them has now become a ‘greatest moment’.

To put this in its proper perspective, we won more games during my 4 years at the Hilltop than over the past 16 years…after this season, you can probably say 17 years.

Anybody who tries to justify this list either has an axe to grind with the person who originated this thread or is simply a loon.

And PK, I have 100% more confidence in you than the person who generated this list.
SoCal_Pony

Postby PK » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:40 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:And PK, I have 100% more confidence in you than the person who generated this list.
I appreciate the vote of confidence, but I'm still glad it wasn't my job to put it together. Someone commented that it was probably a committee that did it and that is probably true. I do agree that the rankings for the most part are way off, but if you set the rankings aside, I think the majority of the "Moments" they have listed were each in their own way significant and I for one have enjoyed reading them.
PK

Postby MrMustang1965 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:54 pm

When I met with Shawn Heilbron several weeks ago, the subject of the 'Greatest Moments' came up. During the conversation, he said that the AD was quite aware that some (if not many) of the choices might not be popular with the Pony faithful. But the end result would be the same: it would get the Mustang Nation talking about its football program at SMU and it would generate more interest in this year's football season (and the years to come) while recalling the Mustangs' historic past.
MrMustang1965

Previous

Return to Football