PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Survey: best SMU memoribilia?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Survey: best SMU memoribilia?

Postby Dement-ed » Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:31 am

In the game room at my house, we have a bar with three kegs on tap -- and all three keg taps are small Mustangs wearing miniature SMU uniforms. Somehow makes the beer go down colder and smoother.
HOORAY, BEER!
Dement-ed
All-American

Postby NavyCrimson » Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:03 am

PlanoStang - i did the same thing...including those mcclanahan cartoons for those yrs as well...it's really neat - isn't it?!
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:30 pm

Got a set of drink "koozies" shaped like little SMU helmets, complete with facemasks and earholes. (Old white helmet style).

Postby Sewanee Stang » Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:58 pm

Program from the 1982 SMU-A&M Game autographed by Eric Dickerson, Lance McIlhenny, Craig James, Russell Carter, Michael Carter and others. We won 47-9.
Sewanee Stang
Varsity

Postby Ikus » Mon Sep 15, 2003 4:04 pm

WOW!

I hope you have that thing framed and displayed proudly.
Ikus
Heisman

Postby PlanoStang » Mon Sep 15, 2003 4:28 pm

Hey Crimson&Navy, here's a page with LeVias, and a McClanahan cartoon after the last second win against A$M in 67. Remember watching it on TV with my Dad, and brothers.
When they scored the winning TD, we yelled so loud it scared my 1 year old brother to death. It took us 15 minutes to get him to stop crying. Hope I can get the image to show up with this like Mizter Tea does.

May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby NavyCrimson » Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:00 pm

OH MY GOD - OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I SEE IT - I SEE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'M NOW HAVING MY HEART ATTACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MEMORIES MEMORIES MEMORIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANX - I LOVE IT!!!! I REMEMBER THAT GAME, TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby ponyte » Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:05 pm

I have three home jerseys. One form 1953 (red) one form 1976 (red) and one form 1980 (blue). Also, a woolen pennant from the early 50s with a determined appearing mustang mascot on it. Also game films from SMU-Rice in 1953 and SMU-ND in '51. Both are great to watch.
ponyte
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Corso » Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:11 pm

I have a polyester/rayon coaches' golf shirt from the Collins era that is absolutely classic. At least I hope it is, because it's really ugly. It's red with a stitched "SMU" on the left side, and has lapels that reach almost to the tips of my shoulders. It's a nice piece of history, I guess, but it doesn't get dusted off often. Or ever, if Mrs. Corso is around.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby Dark Horse » Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:24 pm

My pool table is set up like a football field -- actual white stripes of felt inlaid in cutouts of the green felt, an SMU helmet at "midfield" and the word MUSTANGS written in each "end zone." If you hit the ball slowly enough, there will be a small skip around one of the 35-yard lines, and the felt is a little worn in the corner of one end zone, from cleaning up a few spilled beers, so sometimes the ball's path isn't always that true. And the sides of the table have "SMU bench" and "Visitors bench" written on them. And needless to say, nobody is allowed to "scoop" the cue ball to make it jump.
Dark Horse
All-American

Postby BornRed&Blue » Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:54 pm

My parents attended SMU 1946-50. Their senior annual is a precious possession of mine, they graduated with Doak, Kyle, and Bobby. That annual is a wonderful record of that era and SMU football.
If you can't be a Mustang, marry one !
BornRed&Blue
Junior Varsity

Postby PlanoStang » Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:10 pm

My Dad graudated in 50, and has the 49 and 50 Rotunda. When I was a kid I had to get them out to read up on Doak, Kyle Rote, etc. Especially after hearing about that great game with Notre Dame. Got a few Rotundas msyself as I graduated in 76.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby BornRed&Blue » Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:56 am

Planostang-
Oh my, our parents might have been friends, and I graduated in '78. I remember my freshman year, Homecoming was "The House that Doak Built" and I had to explain to all those Chicago kids who Doak was ?!?!?!? Now we're gonna get to see his grandson play, woo hoo!
If you can't be a Mustang, marry one !
BornRed&Blue
Junior Varsity

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:08 am

Nine Rotundas from the 30s and 40s, Cotton Bowl blankets (green with the chenile cotton boll), game programs from all home and away games played in 1947 and 1948, including the Cotton Bowl Classics of 1948 and 1949, Doak Walker game jersey (crimson with the tackle twill numbers), 2 Cotton Bowl watches and 1 Southwest Conference Championship diamond ring - diamond in the "M", felt pennants, souvenir cowboy hat presented at Los Angeles airport when 'stangs played in the coliseum, playbooks, original "typed" stat sheets, 40s era letter sweater, letter jacket, Cotton Bowl pocket watch, 3' x 5' Laughead photo of 1948 starting 11, post-game (locker room photos) of Matty Bell, Doc Hays, '48 team members (you know who they are), photos of Cotton Bowl trophy presentation, etc.
Bergermeister

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:28 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bergermeister:
<B>Nine Rotundas from the 30s and 40s, Cotton Bowl blankets (green with the chenile cotton boll), game programs from all home and away games played in 1947 and 1948, including the Cotton Bowl Classics of 1948 and 1949, Doak Walker game jersey (crimson with the tackle twill numbers), 2 Cotton Bowl watches and 1 Southwest Conference Championship diamond ring - diamond in the "M", felt pennants, souvenir cowboy hat presented at Los Angeles airport when 'stangs played in the coliseum, playbooks, original "typed" stat sheets, 40s era letter sweater, letter jacket, Cotton Bowl pocket watch, 3' x 5' Laughead photo of 1948 starting 11, post-game (locker room photos) of Matty Bell, Doc Hays, '48 team members (you know who they are), photos of Cotton Bowl trophy presentation, etc.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SWEET CHRISTMAS! That's a museum! Heritage Hall doesn't have that much memorabilia!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

PreviousNext

Return to Football