PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Offensive Coordinator Candidates

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Offensive Coordinator Candidates

Postby hpfan » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:44 am

whoever is selected needs to have the stones to not get trampled by the head coach every week. On this staff the only one like that is Fello.
hpfan
Junior Varsity

Postby dandyfan » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:06 am

boy, no kidding mike damone. leach at tech and briles at houston have had the hardest time picking up this college coaching thing. give em a few more years though.
dandyfan

Postby PortlandPonys » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:08 am

Scott Maxfield at Blinn looks like a good possibility to me. He has really turned their program around and it has a very potent offense. He might also be able to bring King and possibly the big OL who was at Duke.

If not Maxfield then possibly Gary Nord from UTEP
PortlandPonys
Recruit

Postby Football Fan » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:20 am

yeah, dandyfan and the only 2 on this staff that have had a lot of success where they have have been are the 2 high school coaches....neither of them have ever gone 0-12, that's for sure.....
Football Fan
Recruit

Postby FWMustang » Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:12 am

What about Turner Gill? He is apparently not happy that he is not being considered for the Nebraska job. He has local ties (Arlington Heights in FW)

He would be a great mentor for the type of QB Phillips is. And it has to be said: he's a black coach.
Go RED! Go BLUE! Go MUSTANGS! S-M-U!!
FWMustang
Varsity

Postby woodsnwater » Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:21 am

Flanigan. We would be stupid not to offer him. He calls all the plays at UNT and has the leading rusher and scorer in the country.

Plus, he is a young guy who could communicate with the players.

He would be the perfect play caller for Phillips.

Pretty good recruiter also, recruited Brandon Kennedy out of Terrell, who is now an All-American.
woodsnwater
Recruit

Postby Stallion » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:08 pm

Turner Gill is my No. 1 Choice-BUT can we afford him?
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby JasonB » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:09 pm

I love the idea of flannigan, but we need to make sure we pull in someone who will draw offensive recruits. Flannigan isn't a well known name.

My preference would be to grab someone with expereince and recruiting ties. That could be Gary Nord. After that, I would definately prefer Flannigan over a high school coach.
JasonB

Postby FWMustang » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:37 pm

Can we or Bennett afford not to get him?

I was also talking to my brother-in-law who is a big UT fan. I mentioned Cale Gundy; he agreed that he would be a good choice but that he might be looking for HC position.

<small>[ 12-02-2003, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: FWMustang ]</small>
Go RED! Go BLUE! Go MUSTANGS! S-M-U!!
FWMustang
Varsity

Postby EastStang » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:41 pm

Maybe Bennett could lure Tubby Raymond out of retirement. Bennett would probably like to run the single wing.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby cowboypony » Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:10 pm

Todd Dodge gets my vote.
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby Dement-ed » Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:21 pm

Originally posted by Bergermeister:
.... Keep the name Kyle Geller in mind, too, as D-1s lock-on to offensive genius....
OK, I've got his name in mind. Now .... who is he?

Originally posted by Dooby:
Maybe it is too early in the morning to be thinking straight, but what about Scott Maxfield, teh head coach of Blinn Junior College. He could bring Dane King, Bobby Chase, Kurt faulke, etc. with him.
Isn't Faulke the 6'6" 320 OL? I'd almost got with Maxfield just to get that kid here. What kind of offense does he run down there at Blinn?

Originally posted by FWMustang:
What about Turner Gill? He is apparently not happy that he is not being considered for the Nebraska job. He has local ties (Arlington Heights in FW)

He would be a great mentor for the type of QB Phillips is. And it has to be said: he's a black coach.
Now there's a name I hadn't considered. I'd love to see Coach Gill back at SMU. I had read where he was upset to not get consideration for the Nebraska job, and he also has a very close relationship with Coach Solich -- I bet watching Solich get canned had to hurt Gill. But I worry that Stallion might be right in his concern about the finances involved. Gill is a young, successful, highly-regarded coach. He might command a bigger paycheck than SMU is willing to dish out.

Also, can he coach a multiple offense? That option thing won't fly here. Bennett has said countless times that we will have a better passing offense next year. So that makes Gill a question mark to me. But based on his reputation, I'd love to see him back in Dallas.

Is he OC or a position coach at Nebraska? What's he like as a recruiter?
HOORAY, BEER!
Dement-ed
All-American

Postby Dooby » Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:41 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dement-ed:

Isn't Faulke the 6'6" 320 OL? I'd almost got with Maxfield just to get that kid here. What kind of offense does he run down there at Blinn?[QUOTE]

Here's a little blurb on the Blinn JC website:

Scott Maxfield has brought his "air raid" no-huddle offensive attack to Blinn College and has high hopes for the Buccaneers in 2003.
The former Offensive Coordinator of the Year comes to Blinn after a one-year stint as head football coach at Pearl River Community College in Mississippi.
At Pearl River, Maxfield -- a native of Tyler, Texas -- led the Wildcats to a 7-2 finish, the first winning season for the school since 1995. The offense finished first in the National Junior College Athletic Association in total team offense, averaging 460.5 yards per game, and was also first in passing offense, averaging 315.8 yards per game.
His previous five seasons were spent with Northwest Mississippi Community College in Senatobia where he was the offensive coordinator. In 2000, the team finished 10-0 and was first in the NJCAA in passing offense and total offense. In 1999 his team was 11-1, first in total offense and led the country in scoring with an average 42.2 points per game.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CoxSMU » Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:48 pm

Any idea the time frame that Bennett is giving as to when he will make the hire?
Geaux Ponies and Geaux LSU!
CoxSMU
Junior Varsity

Postby Dement-ed » Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:50 pm

Originally posted by Dooby:
Originally posted by Dement-ed:

Isn't Faulke the 6'6" 320 OL? I'd almost got with Maxfield just to get that kid here. What kind of offense does he run down there at Blinn?

Here's a little blurb on the Blinn JC website:

Scott Maxfield has brought his "air raid" no-huddle offensive attack to Blinn College and has high hopes for the Buccaneers in 2003.
The former Offensive Coordinator of the Year comes to Blinn after a one-year stint as head football coach at Pearl River Community College in Mississippi.
At Pearl River, Maxfield -- a native of Tyler, Texas -- led the Wildcats to a 7-2 finish, the first winning season for the school since 1995. The offense finished first in the National Junior College Athletic Association in total team offense, averaging 460.5 yards per game, and was also first in passing offense, averaging 315.8 yards per game.
His previous five seasons were spent with Northwest Mississippi Community College in Senatobia where he was the offensive coordinator. In 2000, the team finished 10-0 and was first in the NJCAA in passing offense and total offense. In 1999 his team was 11-1, first in total offense and led the country in scoring with an average 42.2 points per game.
Hire the man.
Immediately.
HOORAY, BEER!
Dement-ed
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Football