PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

BS- Flanigan Not Even Being Interviewed

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: BS- Flanigan Not Even Being Interviewed

Postby Dooby » Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:43 am

Has anyone heard a name that is actually being considered for the OC job? I haven't heard any.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby woodsnwater » Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:14 am

GoRed,

Actually if you have watched or read about several of their games you would noticed that this year the offense has had to bail out the defense in several games when they have given up points late in the games. There defense has struggled some this year since they lost their defensive coordinator to UCLA last year.
Leading rusher and scorer in the nation seems like pretty good results to me. Why would we not hire a young coordinator with great results and someone who can identify with the players as well as recruit. Flanigan did recruit one of the best defensive lineman in the country in Brandon Kennedy, SMU didn't think he was big enough to play college ball. :hmm:
woodsnwater
Recruit

Postby Boston Pony » Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:44 pm

Look for Coach Bennett to go to the Annual Football Coaches Convention to interview & select his OC. You get every coach attending the meeting, which takes place just after the bowl games.
Boston Pony
Varsity

Postby HorsePower » Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:02 pm

That's where he found Coach Miller last year. A very full pool of candidates. Where's the meeting/convention this year?
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:26 pm

Hey Woodswater-for about the 10th time-you are passing inaccurate info-don't blame the former SMU coaches who were all-over Brandon Kennedy even though he was a midget- blame should be laid directly at the feet of SMU's administration because of their draconian recruiting restrictions and who did not admit Kennedy. I wonder if Kennedy might have helped the defense last year.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby woodsnwater » Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:59 pm

Hey Stallion, I mean Gelding,

What were the other 9 times and what was the other inaccurate info? And Brandon Kennedy was actually a pretty good student in high school. We need more midget linebackers like Viloria, Simonton and Swann. This was the first year in several we did not have a dominant middle linebacker or linebacker period, and it showed.
woodsnwater
Recruit

Postby SMUHouston » Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:10 am

Has anyone heard a name that is actually being considered for the OC job? I haven't heard any. [/QUOTE]

I heard Coach Bennett was having a hard time getting any interest from his "private list", rumour is his treatment and attitude towards his assistants has gotten out and interest is waning.
SMUHouston
Recruit

Postby BigEasyPony » Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:31 am

I doubt very seriously that you have a bunch of candidates that are staying away from the job b/c of Bennett. Bill Snyder of K. State and Nick Saban have always been known to be difficult coaches to work with and whenever there is an opening there are quality candidates. Now, Bennett is not close to the aforementioned coaches, but any able assistant who wants to move up is not going to stay away b/c they heard Bennett was difficult to work with. BTW, I would imagine that most coaches who go winless would be difficult to work with. Also, if coaches are staying away it probably has to do more with our program and its recruiting restrictions than Phil Bennett.
BigEasyPony
Junior Varsity

Postby PK » Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:29 pm

Originally posted by Bay Pony:
Look for Coach Bennett to go to the Annual Football Coaches Convention to interview & select his OC. You get every coach attending the meeting, which takes place just after the bowl games.
That would be rather late as Bennett has said he wants to have his staff complete by the end of the month (December).
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Previous

Return to Football