PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Guess who's a finalist for the UGA AD job?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Guess who's a finalist for the UGA AD job?

Postby Frog81 » Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:05 pm

Hyman has taken himself out as well.
Frog81
Recruit

Postby StangEsq » Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:12 pm

Originally posted by Frog81:
Hyman has taken himself out as well.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dallas/sports/topstories/stories/121903dnspotcubrief.b61e31f4.html

"To be considered for a position like that is a direct reflection on what we've accomplished at TCU, and speaks volumes for the efforts and achievements our administration, coaches and student-athletes have made," Hyman said in the statement. "This is a reflection of the high regard in which TCU is held nationally."

Interpretation: TCU higher-ups have incriminating photos of him stored in a downtown Foat Wuth bank, to be released if he leaves the school for a better job.

:hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby NavyCrimson » Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:34 pm

he probably took himself out of the running since he knew he wasn't being selected anyways - & of course he wanted the job or he wouldn't have never applied in the first place...

i have a feeling he wanted to save face & make it look like he was turning them down instead of the other way around.......LOL LOL LOL
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby DallasFrog » Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:42 pm

This is really working you guys up, hope you enjoy losing...

And by the way, why don't you try winning a game before you starting bashing what bowl game we're playing in, mind you the 6th one in a row now...
DallasFrog
Scout Team

Postby StangEsq » Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:19 pm

Originally posted by DallasFrog:
This is really working you guys up, hope you enjoy losing...

And by the way, why don't you try winning a game before you starting bashing what bowl game we're playing in, mind you the 6th one in a row now...
TCU enjoyed losing for 50 years... we have a long way to go to feel your pain.

Happy about the Fort Worth Bowl? About not winning your conference? What did TCU win this year? Barely beat bunch of bad teams. Not one good win on the schedule. You're enjoying mediocrity.

<small>[ 12-18-2003, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: StangEsq ]</small>
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby PurpleBacker » Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:12 am

Happy about the Fort Worth Bowl? About not winning your conference? What did TCU win this year? Barely beat bunch of bad teams. Not one good win on the schedule. You're enjoying mediocrity. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Then it must truly suck for you to even dream of mediocrity...
PurpleBacker

Postby Horseshoe » Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:34 am

Originally posted by PurpleBacker:
.... Then it must truly suck for you to even dream of mediocrity...
Careful, you're also ripping your own team there, since your beloved lizards barely slithered out of Dallas with a win. I'm not saying we were the better team -- the scoreboard said TCU won, so .... congratulations, I guess. But tell us you walked out of Ford Stadium thinking "hell yes - that's an 11-1 team." Didn't think so.

There isn't a PonyFan alive who didn't swallow a little pride this year. But if you're sticking your chest out over the lizards' performance at the end of the year, frankly, that's a little sad. You'll much more reason to crow if you beat Boise State, because they're a damn good team.
Horseshoe
All-American

Postby Frog81 » Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:51 am

Originally posted by Horseshoe:
[b] .... Then it must truly suck for you to even dream of mediocrity...
Careful, you're also ripping your own team there, since your beloved lizards barely slithered out of Dallas with a win. I'm not saying we were the better team -- the scoreboard said TCU won, so .... congratulations, I guess. But tell us you walked out of Ford Stadium thinking "hell yes - that's an 11-1 team." Didn't think so.

There isn't a PonyFan alive who didn't swallow a little pride this year. But if you're sticking your chest out over the lizards' performance at the end of the year, frankly, that's a little sad. You'll much more reason to crow if you beat Boise State, because they're a damn good team. [/b]
Give me a break. TCU came out completely uninspired in a completely meaningless game, and SMU played as well as they have all season. And TCU still won. If you can't see the large disparity between the two teams, you're delusional. And if Hyman really wanted the job in Georgia, he could have had it. Just like he could have had the Kansas job, which he turned down, and just like he could have had the Tennessee job, which he turned down.
Frog81
Recruit

Postby PurpleBacker » Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:05 am

There isn't a PonyFan alive who didn't swallow a little pride this year. But if you're sticking your chest out over the lizards' performance at the end of the year, frankly, that's a little sad. You'll much more reason to crow if you beat Boise State, because they're a damn good team. [/QB][/QUOTE]

No, actually I'm not ripping my own team. I'm simply pointing out the hypocrisy of a team that is 19-49 over the past 6 seasons calling a team that is 52-20 with 6 bowl appearances in a row "mediocre". And its disingenuous to try to criticize the quality of the wins. How many times did I see on this board your plantive cries of "if only this, or if only that" we could have won. Fact: we won our games and you didn't. Our wins weren't always pretty, but we did what we had to do 11 times this year. Yep, we fell short against USM - NOBODY was perfect this year, not even the great Oklahoma.

So you can try to belittle our team and our program by calling us Lizards, Horned Frauds, TCWho, or whatever makes you feel better about yourselves. I hope your coach is successful in bringing the Ponies back - it would be a lot more fun playing a consistently competitive SMU team. But trying to minimize TCU's accomplishments only smacks of the proverbial sour grapes.
PurpleBacker

Postby Horseshoe » Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:12 am

Give me a break. TCU came out completely uninspired in a completely meaningless game, and SMU played as well as they have all season. And TCU still won. If you can't see the large disparity between the two teams, you're delusional. And if Hyman really wanted the job in Georgia, he could have had it. Just like he could have had the Kansas job, which he turned down, and just like he could have had the Tennessee job, which he turned down. [/QUOTE]

Look, it's very common for a candidate to "withdraw from consideration" for a position upon learning that the job is going to be offered elsewhere. I'm not slamming Hyman at all - he's done some good things at TCU, especially on the financial side of things, raising the capital for Amon Carter renovations, building the baseball field that I gather is pretty first-rate, the new gym that's on the way for the basketball team. However ....

"If you can't see the large disparity between the two teams, you're delusional."
Huh? If there's any delusion going on, it's affecting those who can't see how close the teams were in talent. Yes, TCU has more talent -- nobody has argued that. And yes, the lizards had an exceptional record this year. And yes, we had an awful year -- one of those years in which anything that could go wrong, from injuries, funny bounces, the sun rising on the wrong side of the earth on game day -- did. But the fact remains that they slithered out of Ford by the scaly skin of their teeth, just like they did in all those other "meaningless" games: Arizona, South Florida, etc. Was Cincinnati the only "meaningful game" on TCU's schedule this year?

"And if Hyman really wanted the job in Georgia, he could have had it. Just like he could have had the Kansas job, which he turned down, and just like he could have had the Tennessee job, which he turned down."
Stop before you make yourself look even sillier. Hyman has done a very good job for you at TCU. Enjoy that, and be glad you're keeping him. But don't ever overlook the fact that no matter how much someone loves a place, most folks have their price. Georgia, Tennessee and Kansas operate on SEC and Big 12 budgets. Their bowl money and TV revenue dwarfs the dollars handed out to Conference USA schools (which in turn is more than what's handed out to teams in the WAC, hence our move.) If any of those schools wanted Hyman, they'd have him now. How hard do you really think it would be to go to the legions of big-money alums at one of those schools and sell them on the idea that for a slight bump in their donations, Good Ol' Alma Mater could have the best AD in the country who's going to accomplish great things at their school? Hell, Tennessee could raise the money to meet his asking price in a single afternoon at Neyland Stadium. I'm sure Hyman is very happy at TCU, and he should be. Nice gig, I guess. And Frogland seems happy with him. But don't insult everyone -- Ponies or Frogs -- by suggesting that Hyman withdrew from the chance to oversee a top-shelf athletic department like Georgia (or Teneesee or Kansas .... or Notre Dame or Nebraska or USC or Miami or LSU or Michigan or any other place he "could have had the job") because he likes to wear purple, enjoys spending his afternoons at the Fort Worth Botanical Gardens, or because he likes eating each Friday at Joe T. Garcia's. Nobody in either camp is dumb enough to believe that. And deep down, I bet you don't believe that, either.

If you want to, send Hyman a card telling him how thrilled you are that he's staying. That should add to the warm, fuzzy "TCU is my home" thoughts that governed his decision, don't you think? Look, Hyman clearly is a very savvy AD who runs a good athletic program and knows how to get things done, including raising money. Whether he's one of the last two or the last 10 for a job like the Georgia post, take it as a compliment. He's a very good AD. If that's something to brag about, go nuts. Nobody's arguing with you.

<small>[ 12-18-2003, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: Horseshoe ]</small>
Horseshoe
All-American

Postby PurpleBacker » Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:16 am

Originally posted by StangEsq:
[/qb]
TCU enjoyed losing for 50 years... we have a long way to go to feel your pain.[/QUOTE]

Guess you probably don't know the comparitive W/L records of SMU and TCU for the past 50 years...
so just to enlighten you:

SMU - 227-291-13
TCU - 237-305-15

Not such a stretch to "feel our pain" huh?
PurpleBacker

Postby Horseshoe » Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:22 am

SMU - 227-291-13
TCU - 237-305-15

Not such a stretch to "feel our pain" huh?
So by the numbers PurpleBacker has provided, SMU has an all-time winning percentage of 42.75, and TCU has an all-time winning percentage of 42.55.

Someone get Copeland and Turner on the phone. We're too good to be in the same conference with these guys.

(See how inane that argument sounds?)

<small>[ 12-18-2003, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: Horseshoe ]</small>
Horseshoe
All-American

Postby PurpleBacker » Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:31 am

Uh, no Horeshoe. You didn't hear me make any argument that TCU was too good to be in a conference with SMU. In fact, should you read my previous post, I said I hope Bennett brings you guys back because it would be more fun to play a consistently competitive SMU team.

The truly inane argument was from Stangesq who was trying to say that somehow TCU was such a loser for the last 50 years and that SMU was so much better that you had a long way to go to "feel our pain". My point was that you have no basis to feel so superior with a .2% advantage in W/L.

Just the facts ...
PurpleBacker

Postby Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex » Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:42 am

And if Hyman really wanted the job in Georgia, he could have had it. Just like he could have had the Kansas job, which he turned down, and just like he could have had the Tennessee job, which he turned down.
Um, ok. If you say so.
Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex
Hall of Famer

Postby Hilltopper » Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:57 am

Uh, no Horeshoe. You didn't hear me make any argument that TCU was too good to be in a conference with SMU. In fact, should you read my previous post, I said I hope Bennett brings you guys back because it would be more fun to play a consistently competitive SMU team.

The truly inane argument was from Stangesq who was trying to say that somehow TCU was such a loser for the last 50 years and that SMU was so much better that you had a long way to go to "feel our pain". My point was that you have no basis to feel so superior with a .2% advantage in W/L.

Just the facts ...
Not to get mired in details, but I didn't take Horseshoe's comment as saying YOU had said TCU was too good to be in the same conference with us. But we have heard numerous other TCU fans make such claims. Based on your statements, I wouldn't expect you to say such a thing, whether or not you believe it to be true. You make some good points.
Hilltopper
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Football