PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

"TCU and Boise State headed to Mountain West" ...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: "TCU and Boise State headed to Mountain West" ...

Postby MizterTea » Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:19 pm

its all silly jibba jabba !
First name \"Mister\"
Middle name \"Period\"
Last name.... \"T\"
MizterTea
Varsity

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:26 pm

Don't be surprised if MWC take the winner of this game...especially if they only take one.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:32 pm

This is a wish list of sorts. I saw on the CUSA site someone mentioned Delaware moving up from 1-AA to be in CUSA. I've seen Delaware play, they have rich fans and they travel pretty well. Unless, Temple was added they would be an outpost at best. If adding a Delaware would get Temple or Navy in, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Dooby » Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:00 pm

Originally posted by GoRedGoBlue:
Don't be surprised if MWC take the winner of this game...especially if they only take one.
I thought about this, too. Darn stupid way of picking a member if they did. More likely, they are postponing announcing their decision because they (i) don't want to look stupid offering an invitation to one while snubbing the other only to have the chosen team get the snot beaten out of them; and (ii) don't want any announcement drowned out by the bowls anyway and will wait till February.

<small>[ 12-22-2003, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: Dooby ]</small>
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:53 pm

the MOST LIKELY reason is that there is no consensus on which team to add. Which school can get 6 votes when each member seems to have a favorite and can manipulate a VETO of every favorite.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby PortlandPonys » Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:28 pm

Right you are Stallion!! It takes six votes I believe, and the gang of 5 are rumored to support Boise while the other 3 want TCU. To be honest, I really don't see how they will ever get a consensus in that league. The gang of 5 wants to control everything, and does not want to see their power diminished by the likes of TCU, Fresno, or Hawaii. The logical choice would be to go to 12, picking 4 out of Boise, Hawaii, Fresno, Nevada, and UTEP keeping the conference in the Mountain and Pacific time zones. But that makes too much sense. My guess is they stay deadlocked at an 8 team league.
PortlandPonys
Recruit

Postby MizterTea » Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:47 pm

Originally posted by PortlandPonys:
Right you are Stallion!! It takes six votes I believe, and the gang of 5 are rumored to support Boise while the other 3 want TCU.
probably because Boise (their favs) would make them a gang of solid six and they could pass any referenda they wished. Wonder if those tcu foo's are getting played - and the other three schools are talkin' the frogs up b/c they want ANY oterh school invited so the balance of power back will shift to the middle.
First name \"Mister\"
Middle name \"Period\"
Last name.... \"T\"
MizterTea
Varsity

Postby PortlandPonys » Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:14 pm

Sounds really logical to me T. UNLV, SDSU, and UNM are the red headed step children of that league, and TCU will fall into that category as well if they elect to move west.
PortlandPonys
Recruit

Postby Southland » Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:46 pm

Originally posted by PortlandPonys:
Sounds really logical to me T. UNLV, SDSU, and UNM are the red headed step children of that league, and TCU will fall into that category as well if they elect to move west.
This may have changed in the past few months... in a September article in the Review Journal, Carol Harter and John Robinson both stated they are against expanding outside of the current MWC footprint. Robinson's comments were specifically directed at TCU.

Same article had New Mexico's President or AD (don't remember the name) supporting the inclusion of TCU. :hmm:
Southland
Varsity

Postby Sam I Am » Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:21 pm

The UNM AD is Rudy Davalos and he is the one who endorsed TCU. Rudy is an old San Antonio Edison high school classmate of mine (class of '56). You may remember that he left the UH Coogs because they were about the 5th choice of sports fans in Houston. We sometimes forget that SMU is not the only school with a problem competing against the pros for ticket sales. The UH problem is more dramatic because they have a larger alumni base and less competition for the football dollar since the Cowboys are a much stronger pull in Dallas against SMU than the old Oilers or the new Texans are for UH.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Dec 23, 2003 10:08 pm

after watching tonight's bowl game, the MWC would do themselves proud if they could lure both Boise and TCU from the WAC and CUSA. Those were two good teams putting on a very entertaining show tonight. Congrats to both. Hope we are of that same caliber soon.
Charleston Pony

Postby True Colors » Sat Dec 27, 2003 9:20 pm

TCU will be on a lonely island if it goes to the MWC. None of the other schools there have much(if anything) in common with them.

And you can be sure that if they do end up there, they will be playing all of their road games late at night. The opposing coaches will want to make it as hard as possible for the froggies to win, and what could be harder than winning in Boise in freezing cold weather in the dark?

TC
True Colors
Scout Team

Previous

Return to Football