PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Who Are these guys?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Who Are these guys?

Postby cowboypony » Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:53 am

And you name me one head coach who is trying to bring a team back from the Death Penalty and and 0-12 record.
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Tue Dec 23, 2003 10:01 am

Well, we don't need 2 years for a HS Coach to learn the nuances of the college game, we just wen through 2 years of a coordinator learning how to head coach.

The correct thing to do was find a quality offensive coordinator that has experience.

I was intrigued by Dodge, but that's just a big risk as well.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Tue Dec 23, 2003 10:22 am

Originally posted by Stallion:
if its not an experiment then name me one Head Coach that has had the balls to do it-seriously its simply not EVER done.
The HC at UNT, 5A HC to Div-1AA HC (but, there you go, not Div1A).

Dennis Parker: http://www.teachingtochangelives.com/mshs/developers.html
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby SMUguy » Tue Dec 23, 2003 10:41 am

Originally posted by Cheesesteak:
If these men join the SMU staff, their knowledge of CUSA will be an asset, as EastStang suggests.

Coach Bennett surely has specific hiring criteria most of which are unknown to anyone but him and his closest advisors.

Let's close ranks and support whoever he hires.

In part, his future as a HC will depend on the assistants he selects.
Right, right, right and right.
Well said, Cheese!
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby cowboypony » Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:17 am

GRGB, I totally agree that we should hire a quality college OC with experience. My question is, and will continue to be until I see tangible evidence, did we hire that guy? Also, you guys are putting way too much stock in talking about the nuances of the college game, etc. As far as offensive and defensive schemes go, there's virtually no difference in the systems being run by 5A high schools and those in D1. True, the personnel is bigger, stronger and faster, but it's that way across the board. To me, the much bigger risk is elevating a former OC with no head coaching experience to become a first time head coach. Happy holidays to all of you and here's hoping that Phil made a good quality hire.
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby EastStang » Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:17 am

The guy does have experience with Division I programs like Georgia Tech and Wyoming when they were winning the WAC. Apparently his offenses have flourished at both Cincy and Wyoming. I'll take a guy who knows how to x and o anyday. As for recruiting in Ohio, if you read my post Cowboy, you'd have seen that I used the term "Big Uglies". I'm referring to cornfed big strong lineman that we really need. We need to get those guys wherever we can find them, Texas, Ohio, Guam, anywhere we can. You know, they grow big kids outside of Texas, too, and we claim to be a National University.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby cowboypony » Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:27 am

Eaststang, you and I agree on the big uglies. I'll take Miami of Ohio's O-Line any day of the week. I'm merely concerned, and have been, about getting a career assistant who has floated around year after year. Also, I can't help but imagine the headline in today's DMN, and around the State, if we'd hired Dodge. It would have been on the front page of the Sports section instead of buried back in a by-line. What a recruiting boost it would have been.
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby MizterTea » Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:56 am

Originally posted by cowboypony:
It would have been on the front page of the Sports section instead of buried back in a by-line. What a recruiting boost it would have been.
you don't know what you are talking about.
First name \"Mister\"
Middle name \"Period\"
Last name.... \"T\"
MizterTea
Varsity

Postby cowboypony » Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:17 pm

I think it's pretty safe to assume that the hiring of Dodge from Southlake would have been on the front page of sports section of both the DMN and Star Telegram. And, yes, I do know what I'm talking about when I suggest that it would have been a recruiting boost. Let's see, a formers starting QB at Texas, successful head coach at one of the premier 5A high schools in the State, and, last but certainly not least, he's from the metroplex. By the way, Johnny Ringo, who was recently fired, was responsible for the signing of 7 high school players last year - the tops among assistant coaches. Anyone wonder why Tulsa and others are seemingly kicking our tails in recruiting in DFW this year?
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:06 pm

I think it's pretty safe to assume that the hiring of Dodge from Southlake would have been on the front page of sports section of both the DMN and Star Telegram. And, yes, I do know what I'm talking about when I suggest that it would have been a recruiting boost. Let's see, a formers starting QB at Texas, successful head coach at one of the premier 5A high schools in the State, and, last but certainly not least, he's from the metroplex. By the way, Johnny Ringo, who was recently fired, was responsible for the signing of 7 high school players last year - the tops among assistant coaches. Anyone wonder why Tulsa and others are seemingly kicking our tails in recruiting in DFW this year?
We are still neck and neck with TCU in recruiting, and there's includes 5 JUCOs, and ahead of TULSA...let's judge that one in February, though I am not saying that we will get the remaining good guys we want, but we might.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby SMUguy » Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:31 pm

Originally posted by GoRedGoBlue:
...let's judge that one in February ....
.... or in 2005, when this class will be on the field.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby MizterTea » Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:47 pm

I think it's pretty safe to assume that the hiring of Dodge from Southlake would have been on the front page of sports section of both the DMN and Star Telegram. And, yes, I do know what I'm talking about when I suggest that it would have been a recruiting boost. Let's see, a formers starting QB at Texas, successful head coach at one of the premier 5A high schools in the State, and, last but certainly not least, he's from the metroplex.
well.. considering BOTH 5A state champs came from the Houston area, I guess the football world does NOT begin and end in Dallas.

Just because YOU haven't heard of someone does not mean that they suck (and,conversely, just because you HAVE heard of someone, doesn't mean they are good)

Just because a coordinator hasn't jumped into a head coaching position after six months, does not mean they suck either. Some people are BETTER coordinators than coaches.

...and for the record - ANYTHING & EVERYTHING is a recruiting boost right now
First name \"Mister\"
Middle name \"Period\"
Last name.... \"T\"
MizterTea
Varsity

Postby MrMustang1965 » Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:00 pm

Cincy hires Ohio State's former defensive coordinator as its HC.

CINCINNATI (AP) -- Mark Dantonio was hired as Cincinnati's football coach Tuesday after helping Ohio State build one of the nation's top defenses.

Dantonio, the Buckeyes' defensive coordinator, replaces Rick Minter.

Minter was fired Dec. 1 after a decade on the job. He was dismissed three days after the Bearcats (5-7) ended their season with a 43-40 loss to Louisville. He finished with a 53-63-1 record over 10 seasons and had the most wins and losses in school history.

Dantonio won't have to wait long to face his former school and longtime friend and boss, Jim Tressel. The Bearcats open the 2004 season at Ohio State on Sept. 4.

The Buckeyes spent most of the past season as the No. 1 defense against the run in all of Division I-A. The Buckeyes (10-2) play Kansas State in the Fiesta Bowl on Jan. 3.

Ohio State, keyed by its defense, won the 2002 national championship, beating top-ranked Miami 31-24 in the Fiesta Bowl.

<small>[ 12-23-2003, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: MrMustang1965 ]</small>
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Boston Pony » Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:03 pm

I'm impressed with the hires for the following reasons: Cincy's offense has been solid for a number of years. It is a spread O that is balanced. The coach stayed through a coaching change which is very good. Coach Murphy (former UC HC, now at Harvard) is very good and did the initial hire, which shows he was very well thought of. Finally, it is difficult to hire an assistant in the middle of a tough time. We got a solid OC from a peer school, which runs an offense that the HC wants to run. Best success at turning around the offense.
Boston Pony
Varsity

Postby Eddie P » Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:06 pm

The only thing that is annoying me that is being posted here (well, not the only thing) is this talk about "career assistants." Dammit! There are a lot more good, even great assistants in college AND the NFL then there are good or great HEAD COACHES. It's those "career assistances" who usually run the shows we see every saturday and sunday. And the vast majority of those "career assistants" will NEVER be a head coach at any level. That does not make them any less of a coach.

Being a head coach is not in any way, shape or form a defining characteristic of a good offensive or defensive coordinator. Dave Campo was not a very good head coach, but he is widely regarded as a good defensive coordinator. He did not wait long to find work in the NFL once he was fired from the Cowboys. Consequently, Bruce Coslet was a longtime head coach in the NFL and look at the disaster he created in Dallas last year when he came in to be offensive coordinator. Where is Coslet working now? Where is the "career assistant" Dave Campo?

I'm sorry, but I just take issue with this mythology that in this age of specialization in college and pro football, that someone must have head coaching experience to be a good coordinator. In fact, the opposite tends to be more accurate.
So please, enough with the Ramon Flannigan and High School coach nonsense. This is not a shot at any of the fairy tale candidates being hailed on this board. But it has gone beyond ridiculous.

Lastly,

Some of us down in "214" Dallas a.k.a. south of LBJ, would not find anything about the University of Texas or Southlake Carrol to be front page news.

<small>[ 12-23-2003, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: Eddie P ]</small>

PreviousNext

Return to Football