PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Thoughts on Pony Excess

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Thoughts on Pony Excess

Postby PerunaPunch » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:11 pm

I believe the problem most SMU alumni have with Craig is that he could (and should) figure prominently among the pantheon of great sports heroes who have walked upon The Hilltop. However, rather than stick up for the program (ala Forrest Gregg and ED), he chose to continually demean the program.

As has been pointed out, Craig was not "pay to play". He came though the program squeaky clean. He could have EASILY used his status and influence to be part of the solution (again, like Gregg, Dickerson and others) rather than another voice keeping the program down.

To my knowledge, Craig's testing of the political waters to speak at a Libertarian-party sponsored event at SMU was probably the first time he's been on campus in 25 years. And even then, I think he went to A&M as the first stop on his college tour. He should have started at SMU. Whoever handles his PR is a nitwit.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUPhil » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:11 pm

Several years back, I read "A Payroll to Meet", and I recall that even back under Ron Meyer, (at least according to the book) their intention was to "buy" a few prized recruits, and then slowly come off of that as the winning picked up. It sounded like they figured once they were a top 10 team, big wins, bowl games, etc, they could recruit without having to do the dirty work.

According to the film, once Meyer left (was this a big surprise, as was depicted in the movie?), the boosters felt THEY were in control, not Collins or his staff. They were committed to keep going around the country and buying up those blue chip players.

The book mentions that Collins was scared to death because the players were all super relaxed in practices and didnt appear focused, but at the first game "a switch was flipped" and the players did what they had to do to get the job done.

If you get a chance, you should check out the book, it was a great read.
Sent from my Motorola brick.
SMUPhil
All-American

Postby SMUPhil » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:15 pm

PerunaPunch,

I do remember Craig being on campus when it was announced that SMU was moving to CUSA from the WAC. He was the MC of the event, the one making the big announcement, but it was obvious he was paid/invited to do it. It was in the atrium of Hughes-Trigg (lame), and Craig was wearing a leather jacket and pants, not even a suit or tie. So rinky-dink, and this was with the beautiful Ford Stadium already sitting on campus.
Sent from my Motorola brick.
SMUPhil
All-American

Postby EastStang » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:15 pm

Even though Collins didn't talk in the film, I remember him telling me that these guys were recruiting players that he didn't really want. Stoppervich was a clear example.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:17 pm

Actually Craig James came out in support of the program by serving as Color Analyst on SMU's Radio Broadcast team after his retirement from football-a fact often conveniently forgotten. Since then he has had a Day Job on Saturdays. You can't divorce the criticism Dickerson and James have had about SMU. They were both right to criticize the university and the program and Copeland and his legion of backstabbers were wrong.
Last edited by Stallion on Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby NickSMU17 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:17 pm

CJ = [deleted]
NickSMU17

Postby ponyboy » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:19 pm

Don't sprain a hamstring jumping to conclusions as you're wont to do, Nick. It seems to me likely that James was innocent, never took money and yet was lumped in with the rest of the players SMU made clear for two decades weren't welcome on campus. How would you react?
ponyboy

Postby NickSMU17 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:21 pm

I wouldn't cut them down on national tv 25 years after the fact....I would react just like Dickerson...get pissed off and do something about it....

CJ is a politician of the highest order...he has no balls...
NickSMU17

Postby ponyboy » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:22 pm

Hope throwing those stones doesn't end up badly for you in life, Nick.
ponyboy

Postby NickSMU17 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:25 pm

I don't live in a glass house, so I am not that worried...

The guy is a [deleted]...and I am 10 years away from being a man, and understand the repercussions of my actions, CJ would be wise to do the same...

Hope it doesn't bite him in the butt when he runs for office...
NickSMU17

Postby NickSMU17 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:28 pm

ponyboy wrote:Don't sprain a hamstring jumping to conclusions as you're wont to do, Nick. It seems to me likely that James was innocent, never took money and yet was lumped in with the rest of the players SMU made clear for two decades weren't welcome on campus. How would you react?

Stallion just said he was welcome to do the play by play before ESPN made him a big star...

He also had a daughter go to SMU recently, he must not have felt slighted by the university that much to spend 45k a year on his daughter attending...

Guy has had numerous opportunities to simply say the past is the past, lets move on and embrace my alma mater...
NickSMU17

Postby couch 'em » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:46 pm

ponyboy wrote:Don't sprain a hamstring jumping to conclusions as you're wont to do, Nick. It seems to me likely that James was innocent, never took money and yet was lumped in with the rest of the players SMU made clear for two decades weren't welcome on campus. How would you react?

You guys are crazy if you think James didn't get any money. I don't hold this against him as everyone was getting paid, and the final decision to come to SMU may have been based off his girlfriend and not the cash, but I'm sure someone offered him cash during recruiting, and he'd be a fool not to at least ask SMU to match the offer.

Why would a top recruit not at least want to get paid market rate for his services?
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby NickSMU17 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:49 pm

Wasn't CJ living in an amazing UP home or something like that>? Don't know just always remember hearing the stories..
NickSMU17

Postby PerunaPunch » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:50 pm

Stallion wrote:Actually Craig James came out in support of the program by serving as Color Analyst on SMU's Radio Broadcast team after his retirement from football-a fact often conveniently forgotten. Since then he has had a Day Job on Saturdays. You can't divorce the criticism Dickerson and James have had about SMU. They were both right to criticize the university and the program and Copeland and his legion of backstabbers were wrong.

#1 Collecting a paycheck doesn't really count as supporting the program. Nor does using a color analyst gig on the SMU Radio Network as a stepping stone to get to ESPN.

Legion of backstabbers.... Wow. Get off Copeland's back. He was far from perfect, but he did a lot for the program and he did it under very adverse conditions. I think I can successfully make the argument that Copeland is the best AD we've had in the last 30 years.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby mr. pony » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:53 pm

PerunaPunch wrote:.... As an aside, does anyone find it odd that the lead NCAA investigator (a.k.a. UT's hatchet man) is now the Big XII Conference commissioner? I wonder what kind of salary comes along with that gig?

Yeah, Beebe's a smirking turd. What, he thinks the Big 12's not involved in the Blue Chip Sweepstakes?
:evil:
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football