PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

DMN: Chad Morris is rebuilding SMU by recruiting in state

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: DMN: Chad Morris is rebuilding SMU by recruiting in stat

Postby sbsmith » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:42 pm

SMUalum85 wrote:I'll be the first to admit that I absolutely love what Coach Morris and his staff are doing recruiting wise, but let's not get too ahead of ourselves. Coach Jones and his staff were extremely less dedicated in terms of recruiting, but they did put us back on the map. Had we hired someone other than Coach Jones, we might be looking at 30+ year without a bowl game. Don't forget that.

Had we hired someone other than Coach Jones, we might be a Top 25 program right now. June's seven years were ultimately a waste because he dragged us back down into the gutter.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:50 pm

That guy doesn't understand what really allowed SMU to improve the program. Sorry June was a waste of time. Almost every school in Texas and our conference opponents accomplished more DURING his tenure. June jones simply rode the wave of administration changes in our model that were handed to him from DAY 1. . I'm serious every single Head Coach since the Death Penalty could have won 7 regular season games multiple times if they were allowed to admit the kids June Jones did-his predecessor were handcuffed
Last edited by Stallion on Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Puckhead48E » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:55 pm

Hey, we all still need that time to come to grips with what happened before we move on. Everyone grieves at their own pace. Just remember:

Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:40 pm

Glad this is not the case anymore.

“Because, in my years of coaching, there’s not been a SMU guy return a phone call,” Leisz said.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby SMUalum85 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:21 pm

sbsmith wrote:
SMUalum85 wrote:I'll be the first to admit that I absolutely love what Coach Morris and his staff are doing recruiting wise, but let's not get too ahead of ourselves. Coach Jones and his staff were extremely less dedicated in terms of recruiting, but they did put us back on the map. Had we hired someone other than Coach Jones, we might be looking at 30+ year without a bowl game. Don't forget that.

Had we hired someone other than Coach Jones, we might be a Top 25 program right now. June's seven years were ultimately a waste because he dragged us back down into the gutter.

I agree with some of that. Had we hired Jerry Kill, Kevin Sumlin, David Cutcliffe, Art Briles, or any other viable options that year - who knows where we could be. I'm also aware of the fact that we could have hired someone to go 1-11 for 7 straight seasons too. I'm extremely thankful to have gone to 4 bowl games (3 wins), a conference championship game, and have countless contributors in the NFL thanks to Coach Jones too.

Stallion wrote:That guy doesn't understand what really allowed SMU to improve the program. Sorry June was a waste of time. Almost every school in Texas and our conference opponents accomplished more DURING his tenure. June jones simply rode the wave of administration changes in our model that were handed to him from DAY 1. . I'm serious every single Head Coach since the Death Penalty could have won 7 regular season games multiple times if they were allowed to admit the kids June Jones did-his predecessor were handcuffed

So Coach Jones had nothing to do with reaching our first bowl game in 25 years? I'm sorry, I am completely disappointed in he & his staff's recruiting efforts, this past season, etc. but I'm not willing to say anyone could have done that.

And if I'm not mistaken, weren't there a few big time recruits not admitted into SMU while Coach Jones was here? I didn't think he could just get whoever he wanted into school, but maybe I'm wrong.
SMUalum85

Postby mustangxc » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:37 pm

As has been stated many different times, the recruits he was not able to get into school were not able to get into school anywhere.
mustangxc

Postby sbsmith » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:04 pm

SMUalum85 wrote:I agree with some of that. Had we hired Jerry Kill, Kevin Sumlin, David Cutcliffe, Art Briles, or any other viable options that year - who knows where we could be. I'm also aware of the fact that we could have hired someone to go 1-11 for 7 straight seasons too. I'm extremely thankful to have gone to 4 bowl games (3 wins), a conference championship game, and have countless contributors in the NFL thanks to Coach Jones too.

At the end of the day what did all those mediocre bowls and NFL role players amount to? June was hired to do much more that and instead he brought us right back to the gutter that he found us in.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby Stallion » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:12 pm

Casual fan buying the myth that SMU has high academic standards for admission of student athletes. No they don't. Casual fans are Ok but this has been thoroughly debunked.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby StallionsModelT » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:36 pm

Thinking that mediocrity is somehow something to be celebrated is sickening. We are done high fiving over 6 win seasons. Coach Morris certainly won't go around beating his own drum like June did saying that our "turnaround" was "nothing short of a miracle." Yeah that miracle produced no conference championships, no weeks in the Top 25, and the offense was never anywhere as effective as it was in Hawaii.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby SMUalum85 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:52 pm

sbsmith wrote:
SMUalum85 wrote:I agree with some of that. Had we hired Jerry Kill, Kevin Sumlin, David Cutcliffe, Art Briles, or any other viable options that year - who knows where we could be. I'm also aware of the fact that we could have hired someone to go 1-11 for 7 straight seasons too. I'm extremely thankful to have gone to 4 bowl games (3 wins), a conference championship game, and have countless contributors in the NFL thanks to Coach Jones too.

At the end of the day what did all those mediocre bowls and NFL role players amount to? June was hired to do much more that and instead he brought us right back to the gutter that he found us in.

You're right, I never said he didn't leave the place in shambles. I simply stated it's nice to have been to 4 bowl games, a conference championship, and to be able to watch Ponies play on Sundays. Something that I haven't been able to enjoy for a very, very long time.

Stallion wrote:Casual fan buying the myth that SMU has high academic standards for admission of student athletes. No they don't. Casual fans are Ok but this has been thoroughly debunked.

Please do not refer to me as a casual fan. You don't have a clue. I never said that SMU has an academic issue for admitting students. I simply responded to your post asking if it truly is that easy, as I know of several players who were not admitted.

StallionsModelT wrote:Thinking that mediocrity is somehow something to be celebrated is sickening. We are done high fiving over 6 win seasons. Coach Morris certainly won't go around beating his own drum like June did saying that our "turnaround" was "nothing short of a miracle." Yeah that miracle produced no conference championships, no weeks in the Top 25, and the offense was never anywhere as effective as it was in Hawaii.

When you haven't had a winning season in 25 years, then you go to 4 straight bowls, that is something to be proud of. Am I happy with how things have gone since then? Not the slightest. I have my fair share of complaints, but the comment about any average Joe being able to take SMU to bowl games (from the state we were in) is disrespectful to the game & coaches everywhere.
SMUalum85

Postby smusic 00 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:48 pm

June was average, accept it. We were never better than mediocre when we were sold on being great. We benefitted from an inflated bowl system and low expectations.
smusic 00

Postby PonyKai » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:37 pm

Article was a damning indictment of him as a head football coach. He'll never work in the college ranks again.
PonyKai

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:49 pm

smusic 00 wrote:June was average, accept it. We were never better than mediocre when we were sold on being great. We benefitted from an inflated bowl system and low expectations.

Bingo.
Mustangs35SMU

Postby PoconoPony » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:53 am

Mustangs35SMU wrote:
smusic 00 wrote:June was average, accept it. We were never better than mediocre when we were sold on being great. We benefitted from an inflated bowl system and low expectations.

Bingo.

We also drank the Kool Aid, were not honest about the product, made excuses defending the program and looked through rose colored glasses. It was only after the ASU fiasco that people started to critically look at matters and get the big picture. We also got tubed by the AD for those ridiculous contract extensions and his failure to grasp the issues with the lack of talent and failure of recruiting. This whole thing was prolonged at least 2 years beyond what it should have been. As EJ pointed out in an article reference cited above in this thread, more than half the current roster had NO FBS offers.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Johnny Utah » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:08 pm

All talk. Tell me one recruiting battle he has won?
Johnny Utah
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Football