PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Hey, at least we aren't Idaho

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Hey, at least we aren't Idaho

Postby Fresno Mustang » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:43 pm

smupony94 wrote:
Fresno Mustang wrote:is the whipping boy for the Mwc. Don't deserve to be in the fbs. They fit the big sky profile way better

Like us and Big 12 teams?

Not at all. We actually have potential as a program and alumni that care enough to try and make it work
SMU Class of 2014
Fresno Mustang
All-American

Postby footballdad » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:50 pm

Fresno Mustang wrote:
smupony94 wrote:
Fresno Mustang wrote:is the whipping boy for the Mwc. Don't deserve to be in the fbs. They fit the big sky profile way better

Not at all. We actually have potential as a program and alumni that care enough to try and make it work

Chad Morris is the beginning and end of that potential. The 1800 and attendance say otherwise, when it comes to alumni 'caring'.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony Boss » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:19 pm

shadowman wrote:I remember several years ago when SMU paid all that money for an independent study to provide athletic recommendations and when the report finally was done, one of the top items was that SMU should move down to FCS in football.

They may have really been on to something. Think of all the wasted money and effort over the last few years trying to get SMU relevant again with only mild/little/no success.

Pathetic
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby PerunasHoof » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:21 pm

footballdad wrote:
Fresno Mustang wrote:
smupony94 wrote:

Chad Morris is the beginning and end of that potential. The 1800 and attendance say otherwise, when it comes to alumni 'caring'.

If we get to 10/11 wins (including beating a TCU/Baylor/etc) and our attendance still sucks I will grant you that point. Until then, there hasn't been much of a reason for anyone other than the 1800 to watch...
PerunasHoof
All-American

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:26 pm

smupony94 wrote:

If it's any consolation we've gone toe to toe with 2 top 10 fcs programs in the past 3 seasons..
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby PonySnob » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:32 pm

vielsiehorsepower wrote:
smupony94 wrote:

If it's any consolation we've gone toe to toe with 2 top 10 fcs programs in the past 3 seasons..

For part of the game..............
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smupony94 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:55 pm

vielsiehorsepower wrote:
smupony94 wrote:

Ok sucky day and that totally cracked me up
smupony94

Postby Fresno Mustang » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:59 pm

vielsiehorsepower wrote:
smupony94 wrote:

For real though... that Montana game was exciting...
SMU Class of 2014
Fresno Mustang
All-American

Postby footballdad » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:11 pm

Not at all. We actually have potential as a program and alumni that care enough to try and make it work[/quote]

Chad Morris is the beginning and end of that potential. The 1800 and attendance say otherwise, when it comes to alumni 'caring'.[/quote]

If we get to 10/11 wins (including beating a TCU/Baylor/etc) and our attendance still sucks I will grant you that point. Until then, there hasn't been much of a reason for anyone other than the 1800 to watch...[/quote]

:lol:
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:24 pm

If SMU ever won 10-11 games they still wouldn't average more than about 23-25,000 max. First 3 games SMU fans would be deciding whether to go-attendance would increase if we got to 5-1 or 6-0 but then it would be too cold and/or Thanksgiving break would limit attendance. Book it. I've seen SMU play for a SWC Co-Championship in final game against a huge draw Arkansas in Dallas after having the winningest team in the Country and 2 SWC Championships and draw 28,000
Last edited by Stallion on Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby One Trick Pony » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:26 pm

In 1982 attendance jumped from 23000 to nearly 50,000
One Trick Pony

Postby mrydel » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:29 pm

They were not SMU fans. Other schools brought more. I do not know but my guess is we played A&M, Texas, and Arkansas at home in 82 if we drew that well.
Last edited by mrydel on Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Stallion » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:29 pm

Wrong years and they were largely free sponsored tickets. Attendance actually spiked in 1978-1979 with Mustang Mania. Then Bob Hitch came in and pretty much ended free give-aways

As I've always pointed out, Mustang Mania and increased attendance CAME BEFORE winning which made Ron Meyer's job infinitely easier on the recruiting trail. We ain't doing Chad Morris any favors in recruiting
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby RGV Pony » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:54 pm

Yeah. It all stinks like yesterday's diapers.
RGV Pony

Postby One Trick Pony » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:01 pm

Stallion wrote:Wrong years and they were largely free sponsored tickets. Attendance actually spiked in 1978-1979 with Mustang Mania. Then Bob Hitch came in and pretty much ended free give-aways

As I've always pointed out, Mustang Mania and increased attendance CAME BEFORE winning which made Ron Meyer's job infinitely easier on the recruiting trail. We ain't doing Chad Morris any favors in recruiting

I saw it on the Internet it has to be true

One Trick Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Football