PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU/ Coach Morris

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU/ Coach Morris

Postby Donnell88 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:44 am

leopold wrote:
Stallion wrote:too late-he just got a Gold Chip QB tonite -ready to go in 2017-the Defense just has too many holes for 2016. He has the kids on campus to turn this around-and its only going to get better. We get to watch one of the great turnarounds in the SMU History-from the foundation up

I watched Stallion call it like it was for years, and it was always negative. Now that he's nothing but sunshine-and-rainbows, everybody needs to wake up and get on board.

Nobody cares more about SMU football than Stallion. He speaks what's on his mind, and for several years, he was critical of the previous regime's lack of commitment to recruiting. (And he wasn't the only one). He's also very knowledgeable - that's why I read all his posts.
Donnell88
All-American

Postby Pony Boss » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:19 am

OLEJACKETFAN wrote:He wont leave till he fixes it. Im sure of that. Also if anyone knows his History, he will not go to Baylor. Im sure of that! If the Offense can stay as good and reduce the mistakes, D can reduce a TD or 2. SMU will win a couple shootouts this way!

Hi Coach Morris! Hopefully you stay long after it is fixed, Gary Patterson is a good example of earning big school money at a small school.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby JasonB » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:51 am

Stallion wrote:too late-he just got a Gold Chip QB tonite -ready to go in 2017-the Defense just has too many holes for 2016. He has the kids on campus to turn this around-and its only going to get better. We get to watch one of the great turnarounds in the SMU History-from the foundation up

We are all scared to death of LB. But I think we will be significantly better (and deeper) at DL, corner and safety. The defense won't be spectacular this year, but don't write off an improvement and a bigger step forward in 2016 than we all originally anticipated.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponynut » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:55 am

Morris will bring us back! Yea! What I love the most is he has made recruiting fun again. Love it!
ponynut
Varsity

Postby PoconoPony » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:30 pm

This absolute crime in this situation is the fact that Morris had to start building a foundation. I still hold Hart responsible for the last 2 years of the JJ debacle when it was clear he had given up and had stopped recruiting.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Comet » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:28 pm

If Chad Morris and Herman would have switched coaching gigs from the beginning Morris would be the super hot commodity and we'd all be talking about how Herman might not have been the guy. I honestly hold both coaches to similar high esteem, if anything knowing Morris a bit better makes me favor him. The thing is that Houston was tuned up and ready to go for the most part when Herman took over. SMU was a gigantic cluster and even then Morris STILL scared TCU and Baylor last year. Morris is the real deal, we have to support him.
Comet
Hall of Famer

Postby skyscraper » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:40 pm

Does anyone on this board NOT support Chad?
I think everyone on here believes he's the guy to make it happen.
Quibbles over future scheduling happen no matter who the coach is and I don't think it's a reflection on a belief in Chad as coach.
skyscraper

Postby OLEJACKETFAN » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:10 pm

The Talent is getting a lot better at Running Back, Wide Receiver & the QB position has gotten deeper since I started this Post yesterday. Now Chad has to convince a couple of these guys that have slipped on the depth chart to move over to the D-Side. Maybe this can help the LB situation & depth at DBs
OLEJACKETFAN
Scout Team

Postby Stallion » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:52 pm

not much moving of players left to do. We moved numerous kids and a long list of underproductive players have left the program. The turnover is just about complete on offense although I could name 3-4 that won't get a 5th year or will be encouraged to graduate this year. Those remaining from June's tenure will either contribute or have left.

The Defense is 1 year behind the Offense. Although many of June's recruits have already left the program, there are still a bunch of unproductive players on Defense who are about to lose their jobs. More true and redshirt Freshman will play this year than on any SMU Defense since the DP. Bunch of the defensive roster has already been turn-overed as well but since the emerging defensive replacements have one less year of experience (ie zero) than many on the Offense this will be a little more painful on Defense. The Offense is about to take off although those OLM injuries have tempered my expectations a tad. The Defense will struggle-although I'd like to think the Defensive Line has enough depth to improve. Chad won't tell you but true and redshirt freshman are going to be expected to contribute because SMU is projected to compete for a Bowl in 2017-not 2016
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Pony^ » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:26 pm

Pony^
All-American

Postby smusic 00 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:27 pm

I believe we will have 10-12 true freshmen playing significant minutes. That will go down next year, and that is a great thing. This thing is moving as fast as a football program can.
smusic 00

Postby leopold » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:50 am

BTW, practically every major college football media source has both Kevin Sumlin on the hotseat, not to mention Les Miles, Gus Malzahn, and even Beliema in some circles. If our team improves as expected Morris is going to get a call from some major program. A&M ain't Baylor, and NOBODY is going to blame him for going to the Southeastern Conference, I don't care what the conditions

Point is, I am about to start rooting hard for any SEC West school not named 'Alabama.'

KEEP KEVIN!
KEEP KEVIN!
KEEP KEVIN!
KEEP KEVIN!
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony Boss » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:00 am

leopold wrote:BTW, practically every major college football media source has both Kevin Sumlin on the hotseat, not to mention Les Miles, Gus Malzahn, and even Beliema in some circles. If our team improves as expected Morris is going to get a call from some major program. A&M ain't Baylor, and NOBODY is going to blame him for going to the Southeastern Conference, I don't care what the conditions

Point is, I am about to start rooting hard for any SEC West school not named 'Alabama.'

KEEP KEVIN!
KEEP KEVIN!
KEEP KEVIN!
KEEP KEVIN!

I think they go after Herman and the other coaches in the AAC before Morris gets a call. And SEC coaches are always in that hot seat according to the fans so that aint news...Malzahn and Sumlin are not getting fired folks.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby PerunaPunch » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:22 am

PoconoPony wrote:

This absolute crime in this situation is the fact that Morris had to start building a foundation. I still hold Hart responsible for the last 2 years of the JJ debacle when it was clear he had given up and had stopped recruiting.

I hear you, but if Hart fired a head coach who had taken a moribund SMU program to 3 bowls in 4 years, nobody in their right mind would have taken the job (no job security). We can't be too critical of the process seeing as how the situation played out in the best possible way. Like the Brown/Jank hire, way better than any on this board could have predicted.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Water Pony » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:22 am

I believe in Chad Morris and share Pocono view that we let JJ stay after ASU fiasco. June had checked out, especially on recruiting, on practically all elements of being competitive.

I am excited about our future and hope Chad sees that rebuilding and staying will be as rewarding as seeking better alternatives after 2017, when we can start making withdrawals (8-10 win season and bowl invitation).

The one thing Chad, the team, P5 Conferences, media and alums need is fans in the seats, 25-30k at kick-off, who are there in the 4th quarter. We need MOB mentality at Ford Stadium. The future needs game day excitement.

I love the Boulevard, but get to the game early and stay. That will be a bigger and more important statement to Chad and all others mentioned above.

Texas Tough!
Pony Up
Water Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Football