PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

TCU "pausing" series with SMU -- 2025 last game on schedule

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: TCU "pausing" series with SMU -- 2025 last game on sched

Postby BaylorHistory » Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:43 pm

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:TCU & Baylor continue to do everything possible to keep us where we are.

A 101 game series and an 87 games series that aren't played. College football is stupid.
BaylorHistory
Junior Varsity

Postby 35straight II » Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:56 pm

As far as historic football rivalries go, SMU vs. tcu is closer to 50/50 than most. Unfortunately for college football, people have short memories.

Clemson South Carolina Tie Clemson
18 10 1 64.00%
USC UCLA Tie USC
50 33 7 59.00%
Utah BYU Tie Utah
62 35 4 63.00%
Texas OU Tie Texas
63 50 5 56.00%
Texas A&M Tie Texas
76 37 5 67.00%
tcu SMU Tie tcu
52 42 7 55.00%
35straight II
Scout Team

Postby shadowman » Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:01 pm

Surprisingly,

Over on the toad's message board (killer frogs), most are upset by the news and think it is stupid. Many of the ones had posted in the past that the rivalry should stop because it only helped SMU, but now it is a reality, they are gonna miss it!

Maybe we can weasel our way into the Big 12 one day and make em play us again.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyME » Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:26 pm

Disappointing, but plenty of opportunities here. Re-start the rivalry with Arkansas (Lashlee connections) so the Hogs have a game in Dallas each year (the other being vs A&M?). We’ve elevated our program enough now that Arkansas hopefully wouldn’t view it as a ‘no win’ situation for them. Or Houston. Or OK St.
PonyME
Scout Team

Postby FroggieFever » Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:56 pm

shadowman wrote:Surprisingly,

Over on the toad's message board (killer frogs), most are upset by the news and think it is stupid. Many of the ones had posted in the past that the rivalry should stop because it only helped SMU, but now it is a reality, they are gonna miss it!

Maybe we can weasel our way into the Big 12 one day and make em play us again.

In my mind, it makes sense for the two unis to keep the series alive. I think the threat of SMU being a competitive going-concern threat is what spiked this. (So, in a weird way, a pat on SMU's back.)
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

Postby PonyME » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:35 pm

To clarify, the ‘threat’ that tcu may lose to a competitive SMU team after 2025 is what’s driving this decision? Great bulletin board material going forward for both the current team and future recruits. Per ‘A highly placed tcu booster who is frequently in the room with the decision makers’…tcu sees what’s coming. And I really enjoy your posts Froggie, but I’m pretty sure the tcu home game 2 yrs ago was your highest in terms of attendance. Even over Texas…maybe I’m misremembering. And poof…gone. Ok. Hopefully we can be in position to re evaluate that 2025 meeting in FT Worth, otherwise tcu is essentially forcing us into a 2 for 1.
Last edited by PonyME on Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PonyME
Scout Team

Postby Dukie » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:53 pm

35straight II wrote:As far as historic football rivalries go, SMU vs. tcu is closer to 50/50 than most. Unfortunately for college football, people have short memories.

Clemson South Carolina Tie Clemson
18 10 1 64.00%
USC UCLA Tie USC
50 33 7 59.00%
Utah BYU Tie Utah
62 35 4 63.00%
Texas OU Tie Texas
63 50 5 56.00%
Texas A&M Tie Texas
76 37 5 67.00%
tcu SMU Tie tcu
52 42 7 55.00%

I realize I’m going off topic but haven’t Klempson and The Other USC played a lot more than 20 times? They’re an in-state rivalry game *and* were in an 8-team ACC together for 25 years.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby fan » Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:13 pm

"I'm speaking more to the similarities in terms of what kind of kids go to each school. I suppose there are more California kids that go to TCU and more east coast kids that go to SMU, but it's more or less the same demographic.

To the point, I don't think they count attendance any differently than we do. Theirs is overstated (relative to how many people are actually at the game), so is ours. Ours is obviously higher because we've had more success and we play in a better conference against schools that attract more fans."

This was a reasonable response on Killerfrogs from someone who seems to get it.
fan
Varsity

Postby rodrod5 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:15 pm

Wow I did not realize that 2006 was the only skipped year other than the death penalty years I thought there was another pause for a couple of years when TCU first entered the Big 12. I find it impossible that the Big 12 goes to a 10 game schedule they might as well go to the G5 if they do that because it will be a disaster the conference will fall to garbage. I see about zero chance that SMU is added to the Big 12 unless they lose at least one and probably two Texas teams. People talking about that are people that do not understand what killed the SWC.

Both have plenty of room on their future schedules perhaps they will get things worked out. I suppose it does make me a bit nervous with both having room on the schedule that the Big 12 would be stupid enough to go to a 10 game schedule. What a totally idiotic idea.
rodrod5
Junior Varsity

Postby mrydel » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:49 pm

deepellumfrog wrote:This makes me sad. Always look forward to the game. Hopefully we can keep playing you in basketball
I believe you guys already backed out of that
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:53 pm

This is not surprising to me. The Toads are afraid of competing with us, even they will admit it. They see it as a nail in their coffin to their bowl aspirations if they lose to us, and probably don't feel they gain much when they win. That has probably been true when we were not very good, and right now it's all about watering down your OOC schedule with weak schools. Tradition of rivalries be damned. This is probably our best football team in a long time, and they know it, and we are only trending up. NIL is a great equalizer when we can compete for talent against schools that don't traditionally recruit at the top levels consistently, and yes, that includes the toads.

What really gets me is the hypocrisy of their fans who boast that they are so much better, but the reality is that over the last three or four years it has been very even, and it will continue to be the case until the series is cancelled (I laugh at their use of the word "paused") in 2025. Their fans also love to state that this is our Super Bowl, while the reality is that it's the toads that usually take two weeks to prepare before they face us. So whose Super Bowl is it? They also make fun about our program and facilities, but they were the ones that took our coach. The irony of it all...

Frankly, the toads and the pervs in Baylor are afraid of having SMU compete on equal footing, and they have blackballed us into the B12, and they will continue to do anything and everything they can to hurt our chances. But, the reality is, we don't need them. We just need to win our conference and show well, and we will land in a good spot. When that happens and we have our own comparable conference to compete in, I'll be glad to never have to talk about that sh**ty program and school every again. Good riddance.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby deepellumfrog » Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:01 am

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:This is not surprising to me. The Toads are afraid of competing with us, even they will admit it. They see it as a nail in their coffin to their bowl aspirations if they lose to us, and probably don't feel they gain much when they win. That has probably been true when we were not very good, and right now it's all about watering down your OOC schedule with weak schools. Tradition of rivalries be damned. This is probably our best football team in a long time, and they know it, and we are only trending up. NIL is a great equalizer when we can compete for talent against schools that don't traditionally recruit at the top levels consistently, and yes, that includes the toads.

What really gets me is the hypocrisy of their fans who boast that they are so much better, but the reality is that over the last three or four years it has been very even, and it will continue to be the case until the series is cancelled (I laugh at their use of the word "paused") in 2025. Their fans also love to state that this is our Super Bowl, while the reality is that it's the toads that usually take two weeks to prepare before they face us. So whose Super Bowl is it? They also make fun about our program and facilities, but they were the ones that took our coach. The irony of it all...

Frankly, the toads and the pervs in Baylor are afraid of having SMU compete on equal footing, and they have blackballed us into the B12, and they will continue to do anything and everything they can to hurt our chances. But, the reality is, we don't need them. We just need to win our conference and show well, and we will land in a good spot. When that happens and we have our own comparable conference to compete in, I'll be glad to never have to talk about that sh**ty program and school every again. Good riddance.

Yeah that or maybe we just wanted the .revenue a 7th home game.brings. enjoy your ascribing nefarious purposes to a wholly financial decision tho
deepellumfrog
All-American

Postby redpony » Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:50 am

[quote="deepellumfrog"
Yeah that or maybe we just wanted the .revenue a 7th home game.brings. enjoy your ascribing nefarious purposes to a wholly financial decision tho[/quote]

Gee, we never realized that froggie high was so destitute financially. Sad they want to sacrifice an age old rivaly for just a few extra dollars. Perhaps a few of our alums could loan your poor school some money.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby FroggieFever » Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:09 am

fan wrote:"I'm speaking more to the similarities in terms of what kind of kids go to each school. I suppose there are more California kids that go to TCU and more east coast kids that go to SMU, but it's more or less the same demographic.

To the point, I don't think they count attendance any differently than we do. Theirs is overstated (relative to how many people are actually at the game), so is ours. Ours is obviously higher because we've had more success and we play in a better conference against schools that attract more fans."

This was a reasonable response on Killerfrogs from someone who seems to get it.

He is a reputable poster arguing with the fmr Asst. Head of Advancement at TCU.
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

Postby FroggieFever » Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:17 am

PonyME wrote:To clarify, the ‘threat’ that tcu may lose to a competitive SMU team after 2025 is what’s driving this decision? Great bulletin board material going forward for both the current team and future recruits. Per ‘A highly placed tcu booster who is frequently in the room with the decision makers’…tcu sees what’s coming. And I really enjoy your posts Froggie, but I’m pretty sure the tcu home game 2 yrs ago was your highest in terms of attendance. Even over Texas…maybe I’m misremembering. And poof…gone. Ok. Hopefully we can be in position to re evaluate that 2025 meeting in FT Worth, otherwise tcu is essentially forcing us into a 2 for 1.

Yeah, like I mentioned, there are not too many of us that were happy w/ this but what Sonny and Jeremiah want, they get, and it is a difficult push against. I love the series but I am not old enough to remember the "good ole' days."

Many doubted Jeremiah when he was hired (remember, prior to TCU/WY, he was Leigh Steinberg's protegee). He has since screwed up very little, proving most wrong. I am not suggesting anything further than the attitude on the boards is more of "oh well, he must be right ... again."

The guise of it in Athletics is that extra home game (which is true, being home is nice and that does add value - those Club Seats, Loge Boxes and Suites for an extra game are not cheap, nor concession rev), but we all know the root.
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football