PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Opinons on attending SMU

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Opinons on attending SMU

Postby NavyCrimson » Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:09 pm

hey florida:

your statement: "All my friends at SMU seemed so shallow and concerned with their image, even if those people normally weren't like that. There is so little diversity.. its just not the ideal university setting for me."

is too bad...yeah, i met quite a few like that @ smu but it was 50/50 or so...i just didn't hang around with them that much & took it as grain of salt...i'd be willing to bet u could find that @ any private u. in the world & many of your bigger state schools...hell, i can see that at my son's elementary school. blow it off & get on with life!!! glad u removed the chip, too! now let's all make a million bucks & the sky's the limit!!!!
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:50 pm

Went to UT and SMU. Fit in at both. Thoroughly enjoyed both. Two totally different environments. Unless your son is a total freak destined to be in a cult for life, he should choose between The Hilltop and The Forty Acres.
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby MustangDieHard2005 » Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:53 pm

I realize this isn't a football topic, but this board gets the most traffic.
I wanted to get some honest opinions from some of you regarding SMU.
My son is deciding between attending SMU, UT, or TAMU.
He wants to major in civil engineering and has been accepted to all 3 universities.
He is a middle class kid from Allen. We are not rich in any way. He can get enough scholarship money from SMU to even the tuition out.
My question is this: Is it true a majority of SMU students are rich? Would a middle-class kid have trouble fitting in?
I would love to hear everyone's opinion.
SMU is an awesome place to go. I'm a junior and not looking forward to having to leave this place; it's an awesome little bubble to live in for 4 years. I, too, looked at UT, as well as Vandy, Washington & Lee, and Ole Miss. I'm stoked I made the decision I made. I dont think there's a better place.

Greek life is huge here, there is no avoiding that. SMU ranked #5 in the "Major Fraternity and Sorority Scene" category in Princeton Review this year. Roughly 40% are Greek in the fall (before Spring/Freshman Recruitment). The # ups to about 50% of the population after rush in the spring. The undergrad enrollment is 6,000 (4000 grad students ) so 3,000 of them are Greek which is a huge chunk. But don't think of that as a bad thing, our Greek system is awesome. My best friends have come from my fraternity ... it is not buying friends, don't ever let anyone tell you your son is buying friends if he decides to pledge a fraternity at SMU. It's an awesome experience where you can get the most out of your college experience. You can get involved in your chapter, as well as on greek councils. Most of the leaders in programs such as Student Senate, Student Foundation, and other organizations are Greek- it's just an awesome way to get involved and plugged into campus. Great leadership opportunity, you'll meet some of your best friends, and you'll have an awesome time doing it.

As far as kids being rich here, there are a lot of them here. But it is a LOT different than TCU or Baylor. When I visited TCU and Baylor I felt like everyone was trying to prove who had more money than the other. It's not like that at SMU at all. Some people it's probably b/c they have so much they don't know life any other way haha but really people are very friendly. As long as he doesn't mind being around nice things and feels pressured to buy them, he'll be just fine. With guys, you really can't tell who has the most money. Most just wear polos and khakis- it's the girls who flaunt the Gucci and stuff around on a daily basis. And hey, if he catches one of those girls- he's set for life haha.

As far as engineering, I know they built a brand new building so the program is definitely on the upswing. I have a few friends who are majoring in that and they think it's really really challenging. I would assume that means its a good program.

Well, sorry to ramble but I would recommend SMU over UT and aTm anyday. It's by far the best place to be in Texas, and one of the finest in the South as well. Best of luck with the whole admissions process- it can be a major pain.

GO STANGS.
MustangDieHard2005

Postby XmustangXdeathX » Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:29 am

I'm graduating in a semester and all this is making me sad.

:(
Oh you gotta love it. The horns, the drums, the noise! It's all for the love of music, for the love of the game.
XmustangXdeathX
Scout Team

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:10 am

SMU is much more diverse than TCU or Baylor, although that's not saying much. I think our school has done a great job of bring in a more diverse student body over the past few years.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Spaz » Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:27 pm

Originally posted by Barbara Ann:
I'm graduating in a semester and all this is making me sad.

:(
That's why I'm overstaying my welcome here! Nothing like multiple senior years!
WHERE'S MY KETCHUP?!?!?!
Spaz
Varsity

Postby Greenwich Pony » Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:57 pm

I wouldn't worry about SMU's rich kid image. I came from an affulent background, but most of my friends didn't and it didn't seem to make any difference really; I just bought more often.

As to the education: the B-school and Meadows get most of the ink in the media, but Dedman is very good- the personalized attention and the opportunities that SMU offers to students, if they are willing to take advantage of them is on par with any other school in the country. It is a matter of what will your son or daughter do with the tools.

I live and work in the NY area, and the SMU grads I know up here are all pretty successful in their fields against the best their industries can muster. I also teach occasional at two local Ivy League schools. The primary difference is the overall quality of the student body, SMU has virtually all of the toys and the good professors, but still it seems we don't quite get the students yet.

I'm not knocking A&M engineering, but depending on what you're child wants to do, SMU will make them better rounded if they plan to work in the private sector.
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Postby methodistmustang » Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:44 am

THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ADVICE!!!!
If you cannot afford to let him live on campus send him to UT or A&M. I commuted my first year and I am just now in the middle of my second year finding my niche on campus. Whether you are rich or poor, theist or atheist, you can find your niche on the SMU campus and you will have many friends if you come with a good attitude. People that say SMU is a bunch of snobs don't give SMU the time of day. That decision is made before they arrive on campus. I could not afford to live on campus my first year, however, I love the school too much to pass on the degree. A&M came in a close second, but once I visited both I couldn't go to A&M. The class size was also a big draw for me. Having thousands of people in my class like my cousin did at A&M did not appeal to me. I rarely have over 80 in my classes now and my professors are always available. Another plus to SMU is just the respect you get from others. I always hear about my family bragging about me because I go to SMU. Some don't think SMU still has that affect...it does my friend. One more thing...let your son make the decision.
SMU-THE University of Texas
methodistmustang
Scout Team

Postby PonySnob » Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:07 am

As the t-shirt says:

"We're not snobs, we're just better than you!"
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby Mexmustang » Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:17 am

I went to SMU (MWF) and worked 38 hours (TTS)a week, graduated with honors, had a ball (of course we won the SWC championship), and got my only two jobs in my career as a result of my two best friends at SMU. I retired at 55! Enough said.
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Postby EdWiz » Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:37 pm

What does your son want. Does he want to be surrounded by lots of people just like himself or just a few. If he attends SMU, it is no secret that he will definitely be the minority by economic standards. Because he is not an athlete, it will be hard for him to establish a really close friendship with some of the guys that are, due to the fact that 50% of their time is dedicated to their respective sport. Greek is the alternative. Is he the type that would like that kind of thing. If he is not, then he may have some trouble fitting in. Most, but not all of the people that werent involved with anything didnt seem to enjoy their decision of attending at SMU. If he is a middle class kid who likes to be around a lot of people with similar values then i would advise going to a state school.
EdWiz

Postby couch 'em » Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:08 pm

Does he play an instrument? Most of us in the band have no money.... Heh, maybe that is why the band as an organization also has no money...hmm...

Anyway, we'd love to have him if he can play something (or learn).
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby FloridaMustang » Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:14 pm

EdWiz - great advice!
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby ts5641 » Mon Nov 24, 2003 2:07 pm

I'd love to hear more about everyone's personal experiences at SMU. Especially if any of you have attended SMU and UT or A&M.
I appreciate what I've heard so far. Everyone seems pretty passionate about SMU. That's a good sign.
ts5641

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:19 pm

All I can tell you seeing as I dont go to SMU is that when Im up there at SMU it feels like another home! I try and be at SMU as much as possible because its like once your there you're taken in for who you are and you make so many friends *atleast most the times* really fast. My Cousin goes there now and shes loving it. Half my street here in Longview has gone there and goes there now. Everyone I personally know that went to SMU loves it. My whole mom's side of the family has gone to SMU and I do know a lot about the University. Ive been around the Unversity my whole life and love it to death. I would do anything for SMU! Go Mustangs!
Mustangs35SMU

Previous

Return to Football