PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Offensive Coordinator Candidates

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Offensive Coordinator Candidates

Postby Dooby » Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:02 pm

Originally posted by Dement-ed:
Hire the man.
Immediately.
I don't know if going from HC at a junior college to OC at a Div. 1 school is a good career move for a coach. I don't know if SMU has the right players or if the offense is just a gimmick that won't work in Div. 1. I also admit I don't know a damn thing other than what I have read.

But it sounds like a fun offense to watch, doesn't it?
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby OldPony » Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:09 pm

NO HIGH SCHOOL COACHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now that I got that out of my system, its time for the commitment to be heard. We might not be able to afford or attract a top name HC but if Bennett is the salesman I think he is and has some serious bucks for a top OC, I think he might attract a young and yet proven guy. There have to be a ton we haven't thought of. I like Ramon and I think he still likes SMU despite his differences with Cavan. He showed to be a first class team guy throughout that debacle. There may be better choices but no one has thrown one out there so far. Keep thinking guys. I have always thought that for SMU to compete that we need to throw the ball well so I would love to see someone from a high powered passing game like TT's. Some just know how to put a passing game together even when talent isn't necessarily the best. Is LaVelle Edwards still alive?
OldPony
Heisman

Postby PK » Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:08 pm

Originally posted by CoxSMU:
Any idea the time frame that Bennett is giving as to when he will make the hire?
According to the news release on smumustangs.com, Bennett would like to have his staff finalized by the end of the month.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby cowboypony » Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:58 pm

Generally speaking, I agree that no high school coach should jump to a coordinator position in D1. However, I will reiterate that Todd Dodge should be hired if possible (emphasis on the "if possible" part b/c I doubt we could lure him here). Coaches like Todd Dodge and Art Briles aren't your ordinary high school coaches. If anyone has spent as much time watching Southlake as I have they would realize just how spectacular this offense is. Southlake wins not on talent, but on discipline and knowledge of the system. The discipline on that team is beyond anything I've ever witnessed.

Having said that, I see this as a long shot and somewhat risky - at least conventionally speaking. Now, go out and hire Gary Nord!
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby Stallion » Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:09 pm

I noticed at lunch today that Iowa St fired Steve Brickey as its offensive coordinator. Is my mind playing tricks or wasn't he a candidate for the job when Bennett was hired. He's coached at half the schools in Texas just about including UT, TCU, Tech and North Texas.

<small>[ 12-03-2003, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: Stallion ]</small>
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Stallion » Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:20 pm

aha! the plot thickens-Brickey was on the same staff as Bob Fello and Bennett at TCU-you know the one that went 1-11.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:30 pm

Flanigan gets my vote.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Ikus » Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:55 pm

Originally posted by Stallion:
aha! the plot thickens-Brickey was on the same staff as Bob Fello and Bennett at TCU-you know the one that went 1-11.
Damn - SOMEONE does his homework.
Know anything about what kind of offense he runs? With the Texas connections, can we assume he's a strong recruiter?
Ikus
Heisman

Postby Dooby » Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:32 pm

Originally posted by Ikus:
Originally posted by Stallion:
[b] aha! the plot thickens-Brickey was on the same staff as Bob Fello and Bennett at TCU-you know the one that went 1-11.
Damn - SOMEONE does his homework.
Know anything about what kind of offense he runs? With the Texas connections, can we assume he's a strong recruiter? [/b]
18 texans on the Iowa State roster. Now, he may have recruited all, one or none of those.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby OldPony » Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:05 pm

Please no high school coaches. We had enough last year. I don't care how good you are in HS. Win every game for 15 years and I still don't want you. Learn the college gamne and come back later.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby PlanoStang » Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:01 pm

Read a little blurb in the DMN that Bennett stayed up until 1am on I guess Monday night phone interviewing both college and pro coaches. Wonder who the PRO coaches were?

Does Tom Rossley still have a house in HP? :hmm:
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Corby » Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:16 pm

Well, my request for an offensive coordinator is simple...get a coach with knowledge that will not be dictated by Bennett. It is really that simple. Go get an NFL guy that will tell Bennett the offense is his and to stay away. I don't claim to be an insider, but I do know the last OC had no real voice, something that has led to an impressive 3-21 start. Bennett, you made a career coaching defense, so please leave the offense alone.
Corby
Recruit

Postby PonyTales » Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:52 am

Interesting idea - bringing back Rossley. However, even with the struggles the Packers have had this year, here's why that would never happen.

1. Didn't SMU fire him?
2. Would he (or any NFL coordinator) leave an NFL coordinator position for a college coordinator position?
3. Would he want to be a coordinator where he was once head coach?
4. If you were an offensive coordinator/QB coach, would you walk away from coaching one of the greatest QBs of all time?

I think it would be fun to watch what he might do, but Rossley coming home would be a stunning development.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby cowboypony » Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:35 am

Just remember that I told you so in about 10 years when Todd Dodge is the head coach at UT and winning big time. No doubt that the rule should be NO HIGH SCHOOL COACHES. By the same token, just b/c you've coached in college doesn't mean you are ready to be a coordinator. Please, we must look a little deeper than that. As much as I like Flanigan, I challenge anyone to really produce any evidence that he has more experience in "running and coordinating an offense" than someone like Todd Dodge. Again, take a look at their respective backgrounds. Flanigan should not even be considered for a coordinator position. A position coach - definitely.
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby Dooby » Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:48 am

Cowboypony, Flanigan is already an offensive coordinator of a team that pummelled Baylor, which managed to hang and beat us in the same year.

I wish there was some way we could bet as to what will happen in ten years, but I seriously doubt Dodge will be the coach at UT. I am not opposed to a highschool coach, but try not to oversell.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football