PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Who Are these guys?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Who Are these guys?

Postby MizterTea » Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:13 pm

Originally posted by Eddie P:

Some of us down in "214" Dallas a.k.a. south of LBJ, would not find anything about the University of Texas or Southlake Carrol to be front page news.
WORD !

Eddie P is in the hiz-zouce
First name \"Mister\"
Middle name \"Period\"
Last name.... \"T\"
MizterTea
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:33 pm

GoRedGoBlue---I can tell you right now if you want to continue to mislead the cheerleaders on this board about our great recruiting class you better start changing your methodology if want to use the recruiting service ratings as proof that this SMU class is anything other than average. You have pathetically argued that the 2002 was some outstanding class despite the fact it had only 1 3 star rating-and its score was inflated because SMU signed 25. Using your methodology of counting total points this year, there is no way in hell SMU finishes in the Top 85 on Rivals this year. Can't wait until you turn the argument around to argue that average rating per recruit is more important.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby cowboypony » Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:34 pm

I hope you guys are right.
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby PK » Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:42 pm

Before everyone gets their undies in a knot, remember that to this point neither of the offers has been accepted yet. At least not officially or publicly.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby cowboypony » Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:56 pm

which does make me wonder why this would have been communicated by SMU unless the deal was done.
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:05 pm

Originally posted by Stallion:
GoRedGoBlue---I can tell you right now if you want to continue to mislead the cheerleaders on this board about our great recruiting class you better start changing your methodology if want to use the recruiting service ratings as proof that this SMU class is anything other than average. You have pathetically argued that the 2002 was some outstanding class despite the fact it had only 1 3 star rating-and its score was inflated because SMU signed 25. Using your methodology of counting total points this year, there is no way in hell SMU finishes in the Top 85 on Rivals this year. Can't wait until you turn the argument around to argue that average rating per recruit is more important.
I am not misleading ANYONE. The Rivals rankings are what they are...one ranking services rankings. Now, if you don't prefer how they rank them, then say so and tell all why. That is your prerogative.

However, they use the same methodology for every school. So, while you just argued that SMUs class was NOT that good because the signed 25 players in 2002, then you must then turn around and argue that SMUs current class is much better than TCUs because Rivals has us rated a few spots below TCU, and TCU has 15 recruits versus SMUs 6-7.

I look at Rivals rankings over the long term as a trend. I do not and have not said that our 2002 class was 'outstanding', rather, it was ranked by rivals better than TCUs, as was the 2003 class. At some point, over time, that pays off to have a higher ranked class. Now, quit putting words into my mouth, because I dare you mutha ****a to find where I said at any point that our 2002 class was outstanding.

Moreover, if I state here, on this forum, that our class was in the 50s, does that somehow mean OUTSTANDING to you? Did I mislead you? 50 out of 117 is slightly above average you old man.

<small>[ 12-23-2003, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: GoRedGoBlue ]</small>
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:13 pm

Nope-SMU's class is rated well below both Tulsa's and TCU's class in both total points and average points-now how are you going to spin it?

<small>[ 12-23-2003, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: Stallion ]</small>
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Mike Damone » Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:14 pm

Just for the record:

Norm Chow: "career assistant coach"

He's not doing too bad.

Also, I like this potential hire. Cincy has always put up points. Hell, they won C-USA last year. Or tied with TCU and beat them. When a head coach is fired, almost always so is the staff, no matter how successful they were on that side of the ball. If these guys do come in, they already have a solid working relationship and neither is being promoted to a new and untested position.

As far as the high school coach thing, we've already got a bunch of players that are having trouble adjusting to the speed of college football. I don't want a coach that has to as well. Think of Dodge as the Steve Spurrier of high school football-his offense may be successful at one level but maybe not at the next. Why take that risk?

<small>[ 12-23-2003, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: Mike Damone ]</small>
The attitude dictates that you don't care whether she comes, stays, lays, or prays. I mean whatever happens, your toes are still tappin'. Now when you got that, then you have the attitude.

-Me
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby PK » Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:35 pm

Originally posted by cowboypony:
which does make me wonder why this would have been communicated by SMU unless the deal was done.
Possibly it was a leak and not an announcement by SMU as the article did say that Bennett would not comment.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby Mike Damone » Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:09 pm

Quote from a Cincy fan on the two coaches from the C-USA board. Take it for what it's worth:

I know Rusty, he is a great person first of all. My belief is he was under
the Minter control so it is hard to judge his offense. He had some high powered offenses in the past. He was at UC two times and is very well
liked. I was hoping he might be able to stay on here? Shank did a great
job with the line and I know one of the parents of a lineman who thought
he was a huge improvement for us in that area since coming from ECU.
If they both go to SMU you should have two good ones.
The attitude dictates that you don't care whether she comes, stays, lays, or prays. I mean whatever happens, your toes are still tappin'. Now when you got that, then you have the attitude.

-Me
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:41 pm

Originally posted by Stallion:
Nope-SMU's class is rated well below both Tulsa's and TCU's class in both total points and average points-now how are you going to spin it?
Well, I guess it depends on what you mean "well below". Does 1 spot mean "well below" to you?

56 Tulsa 14 0 0 3 2.21 111
57 Georgia Tech 16 0 1 0 2.13 110
58 South Carolina 9 0 1 2 2.22 91
59 Texas Christian 16 0 1 4 2.38 77
60 Northern Illinois 8 0 0 1 2.13 55
SMU (tie)

GRGB: Full point knock down
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby FloridaMustang » Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:10 pm

Insane. I want these guys hired NOW. These guys are quality offensive assistants at programs when they were winning bowl games.

WTF is there not to like about them?
Oh wait, I'm sure the DMN would give us much more cred for hiring a high school coach.

Duh.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby cowboypony » Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:34 pm

Let me clarify one thing for all you people who can't seem to read. I've never had a problem with a "career assistant." My beef is hiring a career assistant who has never elevated himself to a major program and has no apparent ties to Texas recruiting. And for the record, my vote went to Gary Nord over Todd Dodge (good coach with Texas ties). I will continue in my belief that Dodge would have been a spectacular hire.
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby ProudPonyPa » Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:50 pm

If the decision makers of this program have Stallion's insecurities about recruiting classes, we will never get anywhere.

You seem to need "external validation" to prove to yourself who has the best recruiting class.

If a coach finds a gem of a player that meets his criteria, the choice is "not good" in your eyes until someone else wants him as well.

How wishy washy can you get.

I agree with the concept of waiting until the 2005 season before judging on recruiting class strength for this year. For that matter, Recruiting classes shouldn't even be ranked until the palyers that make up the class graduate.

Performance is the bottom line.. not potential.
ProudPonyPa
Varsity

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:47 pm

Originally posted by Javs:
If the decision makers of this program have Stallion's insecurities about recruiting classes, we will never get anywhere.

You seem to need "external validation" to prove to yourself who has the best recruiting class.

If a coach finds a gem of a player that meets his criteria, the choice is "not good" in your eyes until someone else wants him as well.

How wishy washy can you get.

I agree with the concept of waiting until the 2005 season before judging on recruiting class strength for this year. For that matter, Recruiting classes shouldn't even be ranked until the palyers that make up the class graduate.

Performance is the bottom line.. not potential.
Totally agree. Check out TCU's 1997 class.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football