PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Thoughts on Pony Excess

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Thoughts on Pony Excess

Postby Longtime » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:57 pm

Guys, you just don't get it. Craig James is about Craig James. Period.

Once you accept that fact, it's easier to understand why he hasn't been leading the SMU parade.

Another thing you have to understand is that in his role as an ESPN analyst, he has to tell it like it is or else he loses all credibility. You want him to sing "Varsity" and flash the Pony Ears every week? He would become a cartoon.

The guy had his problems with the way SMU was being run, just like a lot of us have had problems with it. Yet you crucify him for it. Get real. I'd rather him be honest about his feelings toward a screwed-up SMU than falsely propping up the flawed approach we took for nearly 25 years. A few rah-rahs from Craig James on ESPN wouldn't have changed anything.

And where did this idea of James being clean all through SMU start? Just because he wasn't paid to sign his scholarship letter doesn't mean he didn't get a few goodies once he was in school. From what I've been told and have read, James was taken care of just like the other stars, he just didn't get the signing bonus.

One more thing - I understand how ignorant we were to shun the great players from the 80s for too long. They are right to be bitter about that. But when they start whining about not getting free tickets, my stomach turns. I think we should honor those guys at every opportunity, but I picture them calling up the day before the sold-out TCU game looking for freebies. You KNOW that kind of thing happens.

Should playing for SMU guarantee you free tickets whenever you want them? Is it that difficult or expensive to get SMU tickets? How about offering to appear at the next Mustang Club function? It just comes across as those guys still having their hands out.
Longtime
All-American

Postby couch 'em » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:57 pm

couch 'em wrote:
ponyboy wrote:Don't sprain a hamstring jumping to conclusions as you're wont to do, Nick. It seems to me likely that James was innocent, never took money and yet was lumped in with the rest of the players SMU made clear for two decades weren't welcome on campus. How would you react?

You guys are crazy if you think James didn't get any money. I don't hold this against him as everyone was getting paid, and the final decision to come to SMU may have been based off his girlfriend and not the cash, but I'm sure someone offered him cash during recruiting, and he'd be a fool not to at least ask SMU to match the offer.

Why would a top recruit not at least want to get paid market rate for his services?

Furthermore, wasn't Craig James' first agent the man himself, Sherwood Blount?
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyte » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:59 pm

NickSMU17 wrote:Wasn't CJ living in an amazing UP home or something like that>? Don't know just always remember hearing the stories..

Yes, it was a house in UP. They just recently tore down the House James lived in his Jr/Sr years, It was close to the old Kappa Alpha house on Yale. Very old and very modest. I stayed there several times with my old roommate that lived with James one year.

It was the type of housing a kid on scholarship could afford.

I don’t know for a fact whether James (or anyone else) got paid or not. But a fine house to dwell in for two years wasn’t what he had.
ponyte

Postby RednBlue11 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:00 pm

just bought it for 4.99 on iTunes in HD...gonna find a way to rip it now.
"There ain't nothing you can't solve with one more beer"
RednBlue11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby NickSMU17 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:05 pm

ponyte wrote:
NickSMU17 wrote:Wasn't CJ living in an amazing UP home or something like that>? Don't know just always remember hearing the stories..

Yes, it was a house in UP. They just recently tore down the House James lived in his Jr/Sr years, It was close to the old Kappa Alpha house on Yale. Very old and very modest. I stayed there several times with my old roommate that lived with James one year.

It was the type of housing a kid on scholarship could afford.

I don’t know for a fact whether James (or anyone else) got paid or not. But a fine house to dwell in for two years wasn’t what he had.

You seem to have the most credibility on the subject...I would love to know what you think....

My feeling about CJ is that he is all about himself and I think when they talk about SMU on ESPN he should give a pony ears or great for my alma mater...not say yeah right SMU wasn't favored in that game vs UCF. Holtz constantly ups ND, Mark May always talks about Pitt, Herb about OSU...its nice to have a little recognition....

Although now with CJ being the most hated guy on ESPN, I guess he should keep his mouth closed...
NickSMU17

Postby Longtime » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:24 pm

I think when they talk about SMU on ESPN he should give a pony ears or great for my alma mater...not say yeah right SMU wasn't favored in that game vs UCF. Holtz constantly ups ND, Mark May always talks about Pitt, Herb about OSU...its nice to have a little recognition....

OK, they don't "always" bring up their alma maters - it's usually someone else bringing it up. And those other schools are often part of the national conversation. SMU hasn't been worth talking about until recently.

And I have seen James give props to the Ponies when called for. It's not like he NEVER does it.
Longtime
All-American

Postby ReedFrawg » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:25 pm

Longtime wrote:They are right to be bitter about that. But when they start whining about not getting free tickets, my stomach turns. I think we should honor those guys at every opportunity, but I picture them calling up the day before the sold-out TCU game looking for freebies. You KNOW that kind of thing happens.

Should playing for SMU guarantee you free tickets whenever you want them? Is it that difficult or expensive to get SMU tickets? How about offering to appear at the next Mustang Club function? It just comes across as those guys still having their hands out.

I agree - I thought that was the most odd comment by ED. Just buy a freakin ticket! I played at TCU and I buy full-priced season tickets. At a school like TCU or SMU it isn't that difficult....and you know ED has the money (a hell of a lot more than I do). Why does he need a handout????
ReedFrawg
Heisman

Postby NickSMU17 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:26 pm

Longtime wrote:
I think when they talk about SMU on ESPN he should give a pony ears or great for my alma mater...not say yeah right SMU wasn't favored in that game vs UCF. Holtz constantly ups ND, Mark May always talks about Pitt, Herb about OSU...its nice to have a little recognition....

OK, they don't "always" bring up their alma maters - it's usually someone else bringing it up. And those other schools are often part of the national conversation. SMU hasn't been worth talking about until recently.

And I have seen James give props to the Ponies when called for. It's not like he NEVER does it.

I have never seen it...
NickSMU17

Postby Harry0569 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:29 pm

Longtime wrote:

May-day and company all call CJ, "Pony," so he is indirectly giving the school props.
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569

Postby Longtime » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:35 pm

One other thing people don't remember is how TCU played an indirect role in SMU getting the death penalty.

Remember, not long before SMU got the DP, TCU was hammered with what was probably the stiffest NCAA punishment up until that point. Jim Wacker, unlike Bobby Collins, arrived at TCU and discovered boosters were paying players. He suspended the players, TCU self-reported the infractions, laid itself before the NCAA altar -- and got slammed.

So what was SMU to do the next time but try to stall and obstruct the NCAA? Pony Excess makes several references to SMU's belligerent attitude toward the NCAA. Well, after TCU got whalloped for being honest, what were schools to do?

I remember A&M not being particularly helpful to the NCAA during that time. I don't remember the exact details, but the Aggies' self-investigation produced a 500-page report to the NCAA that included a bunch of nonsense like fire escape plans for campus buildings.

Nowadays, every school in trouble self-reports and (seemingly) opens its arms to the NCAA. The days of full cooperation with the NCAA in exchange for leniency had not yet arrived. Mostly because it didn't work back then.
Longtime
All-American

Postby ReedFrawg » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:46 pm

Was there ever any estimate (or confirmation) as to how many players got paid? Really just curious about the "payroll"...was it 5 players? 50?
ReedFrawg
Heisman

Postby couch 'em » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:48 pm

ReedFrawg wrote:I agree - I thought that was the most odd comment by ED. Just buy a freakin ticket! I played at TCU and I buy full-priced season tickets. At a school like TCU or SMU it isn't that difficult....and you know ED has the money (a hell of a lot more than I do). Why does he need a handout????

When you didn't get that christmas bonus at the office, suddenly the copy machine is a piece of junk and your boss is an ahole.

The guy was ranting and felt crapped on.
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby Boston Pony » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:59 pm

For what it is worth...when Craig James was playing for the Pats, he attended an alumni meeting in Boston. He talked up both the school and another alum Raymond Berry.
Boston Pony
Varsity

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:06 pm

This entire dirty little payton place story is starting to bust my balls
One Trick Pony

Postby ReedFrawg » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:09 pm

couch 'em wrote:When you didn't get that christmas bonus at the office, suddenly the copy machine is a piece of junk and your boss is an ahole.

The guy was ranting and felt crapped on.

Yea I guess so.
ReedFrawg
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football