PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

why won't hart and/or Turner

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: why won't hart and/or Turner

Postby stc9 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:16 pm

Puckhead,

That seems to be a constant refrain. I believe it was Mrydel who said (paraphrasing here), "SMU is run like a secret society". (Mrydel- please correct me if I'm putting words in your mouth). I'm all for more openness. I was a fan of Orsini's Top 25 in all we do. Sadly that has become a punch line, but I really like the idea of having a shared strategic intent.
Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall
stc9
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:40 am

Must have been someone else, or at least I do not recall a statement to that effect. But what I have said is that I do not understand why some believe we as posters on a little chat site think that we should be part of every detail taking place in back rooms. We have people to do that. We have to trust those that have been hired to do that and live with the results.

I am sure there is a mission statement. Go find it. I am sure there is a plan. Watch it unfold. If you need to be a part of the process I am sure for an "entry fee" you can be right at the top. Most of us here are just low rungs on the ladder.

I for one plan to keep "Turnering" the pages as they go on and put my "Hart" into supporting them.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Arkpony » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:21 am

I'm with Mrydel...er, well, about 10 miles from him actually.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby Puckhead48E » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:19 pm

Well, shockingly, I disagree. I think Turner has never had any interest in supporting this team. When the boosters footed the JJ bill, he was more than happy to open another major up because that worked for him. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't see that as Turner being all in for the program. Back in the 90's, SMU was consistently in the top 20 for overall athletic program rankings (now called the Capitol One Cup). In 2014, we were 72nd. The football program is just one of the athletic programs that has taken a serious beating from where we were when Turner arrived. Without a few "minor" sports, where would we have been the last 2 decades?

So pardon me if I want to see a smidge more transparency in this modern corporate model of NCAA athletic programs, especially when our version is a very mediocre example run by a man who has shown at ever turn that he could care less about the athletic arena and the many things it brings to the school. Anyone can say they are all in for a successful program. Until Turner and Hart put a number behind that (I expect this program to be a consistent 9 win team within the next 5 years), the only championship I believe they are reaching for is to be the best at promising nothing while speaking vaguely with undefined terms that lack any measuring stick.

And please don't reference the basketball team in anything involving the football team. There are practically 0 similarities between the programs, from their size to the impact of a few players to the ability of a few big wins to draw more fans.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby redpony » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:31 pm

IMO the MC is a primary funding agent of SMU athletics. Why should they be kept in the dark about a strategy plan etc., etc.? I would think the admin would want to be as open with them as possible to encourage more donations and interest in our programs.
redpony

Postby PonyCat » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:52 pm

Hart posted at least part of the Strategic Plan in one of his columns...

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/smu/genrel/auto_pdf/2012-13/misc_non_event/MissionVisionValuesGoals.pdf
PonyCat
Junior Varsity

Postby mrydel » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:53 pm

People complain about wasting time in how to line up for an extra point yet you think you deserve for the president and AD to personally keep you updated on their day to day work. How entitled are you guys? Donate $1,000,000 and they will probably invite you to the table.
mrydel

Postby Big12Mustang » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 pm

mrydel wrote:People complain about wasting time in how to line up for an extra point yet you think you deserve for the president and AD to personally keep you updated on their day to day work. How entitled are you guys? Donate $1,000,000 and they will probably invite you to the table.

I would tend to agree with you mrydel, but when you have a battered fanbase that is looking for leadership, you would want them to open up about what the real goals are. If they just want to get a coach in to be a mediocre midmajor like the previous hires have been, get ready for a lot of fans to throw the towel.
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby redpony » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:24 pm

As many have already stated- if we don't have major success this time we have no chance of becoming a major player. At that point we will just have to accept dropping down to DII or even lower.
Personally, I wish RGT were out of the picture and we had a president that truly cared about our athletic programs.
redpony

Postby mrydel » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:43 pm

Do not confuse my belief that we as fans do not need to know every little tidbit as an RGT endorsement. I would say the same thing regardless of leadership.
mrydel

Postby redpony » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:00 pm

mrydel- I agree- we don't need to know all of the bloody details. However, as fans I think we should know the strategy and general direction that the admin plans to take. IMO this should be a written document and not just 'hot air' propaganda as has so often been stated.
redpony

Postby mrydel » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:14 pm

I disagree. They have a lot more to do than pacifying Ponyfans posters. I have read what they want to do and know I just want them to do it.
mrydel

Postby lwjr » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:17 pm

If the admin was to come out and say, we are happy having a football team go 6-6 every year, donations to the MC would drop 75%. I'm not saying that is what they believe but we will continue to hear what we are hearing until further notice
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby SMUstangs22 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:51 pm

Troops, this is the time for change. Every great leader was questioned until victory. Every horrible leader was also questioned the same until defeat. The only difference was the outcome. That part has yet to unfold. I, for one, am excited to see how these pages are written. I also hope for the best.

We have little idea what happened during the JJ tenure. Let us see how this unfolds.
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby Puckhead48E » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:47 pm

I agree and apologize. I will now follow the herd and listen to basically the same thing we have been told for the past 20+ years and expect a different outcome.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football