PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Attendance

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Attendance

Postby mrydel » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:36 am

How about "Not just another dumb jock."
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby FriscoChuck » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:50 am

Basketball to football not a good comparison. In football we run out of fans because they were never developed until June Jones years. 3 bowl wins under June certainly gained the program more interest. It's gonna take HCCM much bigger wins or attendance will be the same.
FriscoChuck
All-American

Postby TidePony » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:39 am

June has been tweeting his propaganda again, I unfollowed him on the Tweet monster. His arrogant stupidity jaded everyone but hardcore fans (and finally them too in the end). Winning and a likeable coach will do wonders!
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyKai » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:22 am

June blocked me on Twitter lol
PonyKai

Postby Pony Boss » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:07 pm

FriscoChuck wrote:Basketball to football not a good comparison. In football we run out of fans because they were never developed until June Jones years. 3 bowl wins under June certainly gained the program more interest. It's gonna take HCCM much bigger wins or attendance will be the same.

4-38 vs teams with winning records in 6 years does not generate interest for any program. We have had more fans at our games than we deserved. Go 38-4 in the HCCM era and see how Ford will not be enough.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby GiddyUp » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:34 pm

Stlhockeyguy02 wrote:June blocked me on Twitter lol

Pretty soon people won't even listen to what he says. I don't see any propoganda on twitter but noticed he has been on some radio programs.
GiddyUp

Postby FriscoChuck » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:22 pm

Pony Boss wrote:4-38 vs teams with winning records in 6 years does not generate interest for any program. We have had more fans at our games than we deserved. Go 38-4 in the HCCM era and see how Ford will not be enough.

Yep, let's get it done.
FriscoChuck
All-American

Postby Treadway21 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:26 pm

My hope is to see the same progression as hoops. The LB first year was a lot of tire kickers. LBs teams were fun to watch combined with the good recruiting and the tire kickers not only came back but brought friends. LB rewarded them with a great team and steady success. HCCM can use the same formula.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby StallionsModelT » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:45 pm

The team has a great opportunity to engage the fans with a strong performance against Baylor. If we are competitive (keep it close in the first half and not get blown out) and put up some points I can see some people coming back. Attendance next season isn't going to be great, but it is what it is. The main thing I want to see is an exciting and modern brand of football. We never had that under June. Our offense was largely inept, slow, and dreadfully painful to watch at times. I want to see the offense we are all expecting to get with the Morris hire. If we can play an exciting style and make it fun and start to win some games I can see Ford averaging 22-23K in year two.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby GreenbeltPony » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:11 pm

Recruiting the DFW area will certainly help get a few more families and friends into the seats.
"Greenbelt Pony is right" - PonyPride
GreenbeltPony
Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:34 pm

I predict we are not going to get nearly as many fans as we might hope until we start winning. See Garland in basketball. And see Spring Game.
ponyboy

Postby WordUpBU » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:32 pm

Questions from regular attendees about how many usually show up.

1- How many students typically show? Of their sections how many do they fill up and do they fill up both the red seats below and the blue seats up high?

2- What percentage of the remaining SMU fans are alumni, casual dallas fans, or family of players?

SMU has roughly 40k alumni in DFW so the potential is there to sell out with good product on the field. Obviously some are women and/or disinterested alums but the guys and their families as well as the student body alone could likely do it with enough team momentum paving the way.
WordUpBU
All-American

Postby SMU Section F » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:04 pm

WordUpBU wrote:Questions from regular attendees about how many usually show up.

1- How many students typically show? Of their sections how many do they fill up and do they fill up both the red seats below and the blue seats up high?

2- What percentage of the remaining SMU fans are alumni, casual dallas fans, or family of players?

SMU has roughly 40k alumni in DFW so the potential is there to sell out with good product on the field. Obviously some are women and/or disinterested alums but the guys and their families as well as the student body alone could likely do it with enough team momentum paving the way.

My recent observations:

1) A few hundred in the first half; a few dozen in the second half. Almost never a need for students to be in the upper section, but some choose to sit up there away from the "crowd".

2) 85% / 5% / 10%

I'm hoping that next year shows some improvement due to excitement over the new "regime", but I think it's unlikely that we see any significant improvement until the team wins a few meaningful games.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby skyscraper » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:33 pm

Honestly I'd be happy if the season ticket holders just showed up all season. By the middle to end of last year even the west side was pretty empty for games. We have to start knocking off some big names to get the casual fan to show up.
skyscraper

Postby SMU Section F » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:40 am

skyscraper wrote:Honestly I'd be happy if the season ticket holders just showed up all season. By the middle to end of last year even the west side was pretty empty for games. We have to start knocking off some big names to get the casual fan to show up.

No kidding. I have seats with a few of my friends (and their families), but for at least half of the games last year my wife and I had the section to ourselves. The year before wasn't much better.
SMU Section F
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football