PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OU president: BIGXII should have 12 members

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: OU president: BIGXII should have 12 members

Postby mrydel » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:38 pm

ReedFrawg is good people.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony Boss » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:55 am

mrydel wrote:ReedFrawg is good people.

He is well liked. TCU still sucks.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony Grey Hair » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:06 am

Why did Boren make this statement at a news conference where all sports media in OK would be present? He is taking his first shot to get OU in a position to leave the Big 12. He knows there are no viable candidates to take the two open spots. Texas has ruined the BIg 12 from OU's perspective as UT drove out Nebraska, Missouri, Colorado, and A&M. OU is not a happy camper. Boren doesn't trust the new UT AD and doesn't know the new UT President. The UT Network is a big thorn in Boren's side. OU is not going to let UT get out in front of them this time as they did last time with PAC 12 talk. OU will look out for itself this time around. Boren may be the only Big 12 Pres who wants to add two but he carries a big stick. He wanted Louisville and not WVU added. He has had his fill of UT like all the rest of us. OU fans want out of the Big 12 so look for OU to move on to another P5 conference.
Pony Grey Hair
Scout Team

Postby Dukie » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:13 am

Pony Grey Hair wrote:Why did Boren make this statement at a news conference where all sports media in OK would be present? He is taking his first shot to get OU in a position to leave the Big 12. He knows there are no viable candidates to take the two open spots. Texas has ruined the BIg 12 from OU's perspective as UT drove out Nebraska, Missouri, Colorado, and A&M. OU is not a happy camper. Boren doesn't trust the new UT AD and doesn't know the new UT President. The UT Network is a big thorn in Boren's side. OU is not going to let UT get out in front of them this time as they did last time with PAC 12 talk. OU will look out for itself this time around. Boren may be the only Big 12 Pres who wants to add two but he carries a big stick. He wanted Louisville and not WVU added. He has had his fill of UT like all the rest of us. OU fans want out of the Big 12 so look for OU to move on to another P5 conference.

This makes a lot of sense to me. I've never rooted for OU, but when I try to imagine looking at the Big XII-IV+II from their perspective, here's what I get:

Big 8:
* Longtime peer Nebraska is gone to a more stable and lucrative situation;
* Longtime lesser programs Colorado and Missouri are also gone to a more stable and lucrative situation; and
* OU is now left with the Kansas schools, Iowa State, and Okie State--all of which are vastly inferior and unattractive programs in OU's eyes.

From the SWC marriage:
* Texas A&M is gone to a more stable and lucrative situation;
* Texas Tech fits with the five Big 8 leftovers above--vastly inferior and unattractive;
* Baylor and TCU are thriving, but being in Texas are as much threats to OU recruiting Texas as anything else; and
* UT is the biggest threat of all--the LHN, the risk of UT dragging them somewhere they don't want to go (PAC) or, worse, leaving them behind.

I could see OU trying to figure out a way to get themselves into the B1G or the SEC. Will their lege tie them to Okie State tho?
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Pony Grey Hair » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:39 am

Totally agree with Dukie.
Pony Grey Hair
Scout Team

Postby Pony Boss » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:46 am

OU would dump Okie State in a sec. Don't be fooled by the urban legends that say they are tied down. I can see OU moving to the SEC or B1G as well.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby Dukie » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:59 am

I also forgot to mention West Virginia. I'm sure OU is thrilled to have them as a conference peer.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:34 pm

i think you guys nailed the dynamics but i think OU is stuck. This sounds funny to say, but they are too good and too powerful to join the SEC or Big. Those conferences don't need anymore strength at the top or they will be out of balance. So it's unattractive from both sides when it comes right down to it. Boren is kicking himself because A&M beat him to the punch. He knows it, but more importantly UT knows it. So now, Boren is left to posture publicly in the media to keep UT honest which is what he is doing, to minimal effect i think personally. TCU and Baylor are the main beneficiaries of all this.
Hoop Fan

Postby Pony81 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:00 pm

I agree with Dukie. Borden doesn't go this public with his desire to add 2 teams unless he has an end game in mind.
Likely that since the Big 12 won't expand it leaves OU no choice but to join the SEC. OU won't stay with the current Big 12 long nor will it let UT determine the timing to leave. Dukie is spot on with his analysis.
While the SEC certainly doesn't need more strong teams - OU would bring some serious clout to their league. I don't see the Big 10 because of their academic snobbery.
This Boren statement leads one to believe something is in the works and he is doing a little PR to soften the " we're leaving" announcement.
Question: if OU leaves before UT - will (can) UT cancel the annual game as they did A&M. No OU game and no A&M game would seriously dent the UT franchise.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:23 pm

Hoop Fan wrote:i think you guys nailed the dynamics but i think OU is stuck. This sounds funny to say, but they are too good and too powerful to join the SEC or Big. Those conferences don't need anymore strength at the top or they will be out of balance. So it's unattractive from both sides when it comes right down to it.

Good insight Hoop & something I've wondered as well.

Is OU simply too good for the SEC.

Question for our Arky-Pony fans, would the Razorbacks really welcome OU to the SEC West with open arms?
SoCal_Pony

Postby mrydel » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:47 pm

Don't think it has anything to do with Arkansas. SEC does not need anymore right now.

But when they do, their current policy is only 1 team per state (exceptions for founding members) so Oklahoma would be a viable option.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Pony Boss » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:50 pm

Then finish up with one of Virginia Tech, UNC or NC St., SEC becomes first 16 team superconference.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby gostangs » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:17 pm

I think OU fits pretty well in the SEC, would provide a good travel buddy with Missouri and A&M. I can definitely see them jumping. also agree with the OSU deal - at this point they can say they tried but we have to do what we have to do.
gostangs

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:18 pm

mrydel wrote:Don't think it has anything to do with Arkansas. SEC does not need anymore right now.

But when they do, their current policy is only 1 team per state (exceptions for founding members) so Oklahoma would be a viable option.

I guess my point (and I think Hoop's as well) is that where this is all headed is an NFL-style playoff system that would generate significant $$$.

That requires more uniformity among the conferences in terms of size & structure. Between conference championship games & let's say an 8-team playoff, I don't see a pathway for a 2nd place team within a division within a conference making it to the playoffs.

So SEC West becomes conceivably too loaded with Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Arky, Aggies and now OU.

Question becomes would any of the existing schools really want OU.
SoCal_Pony

Postby peruna81 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:41 pm

OU will stick around for OSU's sake like A&M stuck around for UT's.

The day of conference (or rivalry) loyalty are passed. OU is positioning to look out for its own interests exclusively. We should as well.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football