PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

possible PAC12-little 8 merger

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: possible PAC12-little 8 merger

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:30 pm

redpony wrote:CP- read that as well. Of course 'following the money' might mean ESPN subtly dictates what could occur.

Clearly ESPN & FOX will ultimately drive decisions but I've said all along that if I was Big XII Commish, my 1st move would be to expand my market into the eastern time zone by inviting Cincy & UCF. I figured UCF was out there marketing themselves and do believe they are the sleeping giant in college football. With over 60k undergrads and with them competing for championships year after year in CUSA and now the AAC, IMO they are the most attractive program among the G5 although as the write suggests, BYU is another attractive option although relatively isolated (like West Virginia is today).
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUstang » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:02 am

I think that the Pac will at most add two Texas schools, but that is not guaranteed. Likely the two would be Tech and TCU.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:16 pm

SMUstang wrote:I think that the Pac will at most add two Texas schools, but that is not guaranteed. Likely the two would be Tech and TCU.

If the PAC added 2 Texas schools, I would not be shocked to see Texas Tech and Houston invited simply for their larger student and alumni numbers
Charleston Pony

Postby Water Pony » Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:07 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
SMUstang wrote:I think that the Pac will at most add two Texas schools, but that is not guaranteed. Likely the two would be Tech and TCU.

If the PAC added 2 Texas schools, I would not be shocked to see Texas Tech and Houston invited simply for their larger student and alumni numbers

Not a bad option, but here are other possible scenarios:

#1 Only two large Big 12 schools: Oklahoma State and Texas Tech. However, PAC schools won't be crazy about these two schools.

#2 Two DFW and Houston Market Schools only: Houston and TCU

#3 Only pick four current Big 12 schools: Baylor, Oklahoma State, TCU and Texas Tech, which keeps current TX schools together. However, PAC schools won't like including Baylor.

#4 Maximize DFW / Houston market concentration: Houston, Rice, SMU and TCU

#5 Four Texas only schools: Houston, SMU, Texas Tech and TCU

#6 My unlikely, but favorite: Houston, Oklahoma State, SMU and TCU. Big media markets, plus competitive OSU.

#7 PIck 6 schools: Baylor, Houston, Oklahoma State, SMU, TCU, and Texas Tech

#8 A likely option: Houston, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, and TCU
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby redpony » Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:10 pm

of course both of those schools are very substandard academically to the Stanfords, USC's etc. of the pac-12. Do those school presidents want that dead weight?
redpony

Postby smuaustin1971 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:21 pm

For what it's worth [and certainly my opinion may have little if any value], SMU is/should be the most attractive school in Texas to the Pac-12. We have a better academic reputation than any of the leftover Big[???] 12; we are in Dallas, and we have the Iron Skillet...I don't quite understand why just because you are a "P5" now, makes you anymore attractive in the next round of realignment than someone out of the "G5" who has been successful. I can't see Stanford, Cal, USC, UCLA... thinking Tech, Baylor, OSU, K-State... are good additions??? But of course I am highly prejudice...
smuaustin1971
Scout Team

Postby CA Mustang » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:22 pm

CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:31 am

CA Mustang wrote:https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/08/03/pac-12-stock-report-big-12-finances-kliavkoffs-strong-start-possible-cfp-expansion-delay-and-rolovichs-vaccination-stance/

Have to agree it's hard to see any "value added" when it comes to PAC-12 considering BIG XII schools. I really do think this is going to become a Big XII vs AAC to compete for the better deal with the networks when the current contracts expire. The PAC-12 and ACC will fall in behind the SEC and Big 10 and I don't see any way that anything changes that.
Charleston Pony

Postby Topper » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:49 am

If I read the numbers correctly CFB on television gets about 1.8M viewers per game. The Baylor-Kansas game as an example drew a little over 300K. Unless the Big 12 TV game involved OU or Texas very few watched. Why on earth would the PAC 12 want to share revenue with these leftover schools?
Baylor, especially, needs to get over itself and realize that it will need to find ways to cut costs because the Big 12 money is gone for good.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby Water Pony » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:18 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
CA Mustang wrote:https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/08/03/pac-12-stock-report-big-12-finances-kliavkoffs-strong-start-possible-cfp-expansion-delay-and-rolovichs-vaccination-stance/

Have to agree it's hard to see any "value added" when it comes to PAC-12 considering BIG XII schools. I really do think this is going to become a Big XII vs AAC to compete for the better deal with the networks when the current contracts expire. The PAC-12 and ACC will fall in behind the SEC and Big 10 and I don't see any way that anything changes that.

To the point of the Mercury News article, if PAC 12 values academic standing and wants access in the Central Time Zone, especially in the large media market of DFW and Houston, they should pursue no Big 12 schools.

Two real universities that do meet the above requirements are Rice and SMU. Rice has a big stadium and we can add 12K to Ford. In essence, a PAC 12/14 with the Owls and Mustangs achieves much of what they want. Granted, both schools are not P5 now; but our brands and the badge of being in a PAC 12 university we raise our performances and give PAC quality entry into Texas media and recruiting markets.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby ponyboy » Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:34 pm

Would Rice pony up in terms of facilities improvements? They seem to have gone the Ken Pye route of late.
ponyboy

Postby Topper » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:05 am

Of all the scenarios I have heard mentioned the idea of the PAC 12 adding SMU and Rice is the nuttiest. And how is the Central Time Zone really that important to the West Coast schools? Most of their viewers are on the coast. An 11:00 a.m. kickoff in Dallas is a 9:00 a.m. game for them. If they don't want their games airing at 11:00 pm on the East Coast then start them earlier. Just continue starting the Arizona school home games later. As far as the Big 12 leftovers, none of them are big TV draws. The PAC 12 would just dilute their payout if they add any of them.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby redpony » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:03 am

Topper wrote: The PAC 12 would just dilute their payout if they add any of them.

totally agree. plus none of the other P5 conferences would gain revenue wise by adding any of them. IMO the best solution is for the AAC to pick up some of the B-left overs and become a P5 conference. If most of the B-left overs leave then the conference would collapse and open the window for the AAC to fill that gap.
redpony

Postby EastStang » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:05 pm

Would TT and UH create "must carry" on Texas cable networks for a Pac-12 network (UH would clearly be a Houston must carry not sure if Sand Aggies bring whole state due to their state school status)? Thus add to the value of the TV contract so that other PAC-12 schools have to have their games carried throughout Texas. If that is so, then they might be tempted. Otherwise, they'd probably go no way.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:24 pm

EastStang wrote:Would TT and UH create "must carry" on Texas cable networks for a Pac-12 network (UH would clearly be a Houston must carry not sure if Sand Aggies bring whole state due to their state school status)? Thus add to the value of the TV contract so that other PAC-12 schools have to have their games carried throughout Texas. If that is so, then they might be tempted. Otherwise, they'd probably go no way.

What percentage of Texas Tech grads live in Lubbock vs DFW and elsewhere? I know when I lived in Charleston, I attended a Tech vs SMU game watching party at a popular watering hole and most of those watching were Tech fans. Law of large(r) numbers
Charleston Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Football