PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Realignment Update

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Realignment Update

Postby smuaustin1971 » Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:37 pm

THANK YOU DAVID!!!
smuaustin1971
Scout Team

Postby mtrout » Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:22 pm

Dude can’t even use proper grammar in his article subtitle.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Water Pony » Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:29 pm

Not a fan of Paul. I dislike cynics, who want to dance on the grave of a P5 Conference. Let’s prove him wrong as SDSU and SMU value add to the PAC-12.
Last edited by Water Pony on Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:28 am

While Finebaum might be a SEC homer, there's no doubt in my mind the PAC is the most vulnerable of the P5 conferences. The Big 10 and PAC have a long history together and if necessary to keep USC and UCLA in the fold, I could easily see the Big 10 inviting Oregon & Washington to help balance their pacific time zone members and reduce those schools' travel burden. You have to wonder how the Oregon & Washington legislatures would respond knowing how much that would hurt OSU & WSU. The simple truth (and we all know it) is that the Big 10 and SEC pretty much control what might happen in terms of "power conferences" as those two can take their pick of any schools from the PAC, ACC or Big 12, not that they would be interested in any of the remaining Big 12 schools at this point.
Charleston Pony

Postby SMUstang » Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:22 am

Just an aside, I wonder how UT and OU are going to fit in to the SEC. Surely UT and A&M won't be in the same division. And where will the Longhorn Network end up?
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby SMUstang » Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:42 am

Charleston Pony wrote:While Finebaum might be a SEC homer, there's no doubt in my mind the PAC is the most vulnerable of the P5 conferences. The Big 10 and PAC have a long history together and if necessary to keep USC and UCLA in the fold, I could easily see the Big 10 inviting Oregon & Washington to help balance their pacific time zone members and reduce those schools' travel burden. You have to wonder how the Oregon & Washington legislatures would respond knowing how much that would hurt OSU & WSU. The simple truth (and we all know it) is that the Big 10 and SEC pretty much control what might happen in terms of "power conferences" as those two can take their pick of any schools from the PAC, ACC or Big 12, not that they would be interested in any of the remaining Big 12 schools at this point.

The Big 10 and SEC can afford to wait until around 2030 to raid the PAC and/or the ACC. And if they do, the PAC, ACC and Big 12 remainers would be tweeners.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:51 am

SMU just needs to get strong and stay strong so our programs can compete successfully against the "best of the rest" if and when the Big 10 and SEC decimate what's left of today's P5 group
Charleston Pony

Postby dickey1331 » Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:16 am

SMUstang wrote:Just an aside, I wonder how UT and OU are going to fit in to the SEC. Surely UT and A&M won't be in the same division. And where will the Longhorn Network end up?
The SEC got rid of divisions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
dickey1331
Junior Varsity

Postby Water Pony » Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:44 am

Sport Business Journal
June 21, 2023

While the Pac-12 has not extended a formal offer to San Diego State or SMU, both universities are “acting like they know an invitation is coming,” according to sources cited by sports writer John Canzano. The Pac-12’s media-rights deal “needs the football and men’s basketball inventory that adding two schools brings.”

Also, the conference “needs television households to replace” the 5.7 million L.A.-area homes lost when USC and UCLA defected to the Big Ten. Canzano noted San Diego adds 1.16 million TV households and “keep[s] the conference in Southern California.” Dallas-Fort Worth adds 2.96 million television homes and would “immediately become the Pac-12’s largest media market.”

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/D ... tions.aspx
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby SMUstang » Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:37 pm

it is possible that the conference could “crumble in response to a subpar deal.” Predictions of where the ultimate deal will land have been “all over the map” and no one outside Kliavkoff’s inner circle “knows how negotiations are going.” But the longer the talks drag on, and the “more that informal deadlines are missed, the more concerning it becomes” (SEATTLE TIMES, 6/20).

Let's hope not
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:54 pm

If they Big Ten doesn't want UW and OR, they have two options (1) Big XII or (2) PAC 12 expanded. Independent gets them nothing and no spot in the College Football Playoff. I don't see them going to the Big XII because the Big XII with more mouths gives them even less than a watered down Pac 12. AZ and CO, same deal. Their only other hope is to merge with the ACC or Big XII to form some Super Conference. I don't see that happening, either, until the ACC gets pillaged by the SEC and Big Ten. If there is a merger with the ACC leftovers, having a school in the central time zone is a bonus. But we need to win this year.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby MustangStealth » Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:53 pm

Charleston Pony wrote: there's no doubt in my mind the PAC is the most vulnerable of the P5 conferences.

Reality is that anyone outside of the SEC and B1G are one realignment away from collapse. A move up is a move up, we just have to keep an eye out for the future.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:11 am

MustangStealth wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote: there's no doubt in my mind the PAC is the most vulnerable of the P5 conferences.

Reality is that anyone outside of the SEC and B1G are one realignment away from collapse. A move up is a move up, we just have to keep an eye out for the future.

This is a correct statement.

One thing I have wondered, however, is how long it will take for the big programs that drive even the SEC and the Big 10 to decide that they could do better without some of the dead weight in their respective conferences. Schools like Vandy, Northwestern, etc, etc bring nothing to the table but reap all of the rewards of being on one of the big two conferences. Maybe it never happens, but I have wondered if some day the Alabamas, Ohio States, etc might decide they could do better with a different arrangement. Are even those conferences as stable as they currently seem? Pure speculation on my part, but. . .
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby SMUstang » Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:40 am

You may be onto something there. After all the Texas' and Texas A&M' and Arkansas' thought they could do better without Rice, Houston, TCU, SMU, Tech and Baylor. in the SWC. Any other conference could do the same thing.
SMUstang
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football