PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Realignment Update

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Realignment Update

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:12 pm

Or could SMU actually win an AAC football championship in the next 2 years?
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mtrout » Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:47 pm

In another year the Pac12 will be fractured. This is not a game. The Pac12 is losing credibility and respect month by month. Almost a year of 0 communication is a bad sign. NDA, yeah…
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUstang » Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:23 pm

Charleston Pony is right. It is more important that SMU gains credibility than the PAC. Will the PAC or anybody else think that SMU deserves to be in a P5 conference if they cannot at least win a G5 football championship.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby mtrout » Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:33 pm

It’s not being good. It’s being Dallas.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby panhandle_pony » Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:38 pm

But to be Dallas, must be good
panhandle_pony
All-American

Postby Dukie » Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:53 pm

SMUstang wrote:Charleston Pony is right. It is more important that SMU gains credibility than the PAC. Will the PAC or anybody else think that SMU deserves to be in a P5 conference if they cannot at least win a G5 football championship.

I don’t think you *are* a troll, but goodness you do a convincing impression a lot of the time.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby SMUstang » Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:13 pm

How does what I said make me look like a troll? I don't understand. I'm trying to be honest and objective as is CP.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:04 pm

SMUstang wrote:How does what I said make me look like a troll? I don't understand. I'm trying to be honest and objective as is CP.

I don't understand either. I suppose the truth hurts
Charleston Pony

Postby EastStang » Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:20 am

I’ve been saying that we have to win and kick the door in. Nothing wrong with that sentiment. It starts this season. We have a coach, we have talent, and we have a made to order schedule. Go 10-2 or I hope 12-0, win the AAC, and the world will notice. No excuses, just win.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:26 am

EastStang wrote:I’ve been saying that we have to win and kick the door in. Nothing wrong with that sentiment. It starts this season. We have a coach, we have talent, and we have a made to order schedule. Go 10-2 or I hope 12-0, win the AAC, and the world will notice. No excuses, just win.

Couldn't agree more. For all the talk of this "weak conference" we play in, there are at least 5-6 very capable football programs that will compete for this year's AAC Championship

Speaking of our coach, I was watching SEC Stories last night and the story about Auburn's turnaround "miracle" season in 2013 (when they returned a missed FG 109 yards to win the Iron Bowl game) and forgot that Lashlee was Malzahn's OC that year. Sure would be nice to have that kind of miracle season as HC at SMU. Beat OU!
Charleston Pony

Postby peruna81 » Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:27 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
EastStang wrote:I’ve been saying that we have to win and kick the door in. Nothing wrong with that sentiment. It starts this season. We have a coach, we have talent, and we have a made to order schedule. Go 10-2 or I hope 12-0, win the AAC, and the world will notice. No excuses, just win.

Couldn't agree more. For all the talk of this "weak conference" we play in, there are at least 5-6 very capable football programs that will compete for this year's AAC Championship

Speaking of our coach, I was watching SEC Stories last night and the story about Auburn's turnaround "miracle" season in 2013 (when they returned a missed FG 109 yards to win the Iron Bowl game) and forgot that Lashlee was Malzahn's OC that year. Sure would be nice to have that kind of miracle season as HC at SMU. Beat OU!

Easy there, CP...let's just beat La Tech first, THEN set the sights on Norman. We aren't good enough (per our past performances) to count anything as a given.

But I do agree...a Bluebonnet Bowl-type-of-win would be most excellent.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PlanoStang » Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:29 am

PAC 12 media deals worth 250 million now will expire 7-1-24. I don't think anybody is in a panic to
rush into anything right now especially the media. They're just maneuvering around for bargaining
position. Hopefully schools won't leave for a few million more destroying rivalries, and creating
travel problems which will gobble up a huge chunk of the new money.

So it looks more like the fall of 2025 for a first season in the PAC 12 if we receive an invite along
with SDSU. Fall 2024 will be the first season with the expanded "real" football playoffs. AAC gives
us a better chance of making the top 25, and getting into the playoffs for now.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:54 am

PlanoStang wrote:PAC 12 media deals worth 250 million now will expire 7-1-24. I don't think anybody is in a panic to
rush into anything right now especially the media. They're just maneuvering around for bargaining
position. Hopefully schools won't leave for a few million more destroying rivalries, and creating
travel problems which will gobble up a huge chunk of the new money.

So it looks more like the fall of 2025 for a first season in the PAC 12 if we receive an invite along
with SDSU. Fall 2024 will be the first season with the expanded "real" football playoffs. AAC gives
us a better chance of making the top 25, and getting into the playoffs for now.

Great sensible post, thank you.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:36 am

peruna81 wrote:Easy there, CP...let's just beat La Tech first, THEN set the sights on Norman. We aren't good enough (per our past performances) to count anything as a given.

Good point. I have to remind myself that "potential" just means we haven't accomplished anything yet. I do recall how lucky we were to escape Ruston with a "W" in Sonny's homecoming game there. Beat La Tech!
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:39 am

PlanoStang wrote: Fall 2024 will be the first season with the expanded "real" football playoffs. AAC gives us a better chance of making the top 25, and getting into the playoffs for now.

A great goal for this program is to be one of the initial participants in the expanded playoffs and the majority of our AAC conference mates will probably have that same goal
Charleston Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Football