PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

From ACC

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: From ACC

Postby Water Pony » Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:33 pm

Today's news has created enthusiasm for me that has been missing since the late eighties. The wandering in so many conferences since our SWC days, tempered what was possible and rewarding for SMU. In one glorious moment that has vanished.

One other comment is the recent criticism we have received by some national posters that SMU is buying its way into the ACC (or PAC-12). I reject those posts without hesitation. No schools was impacted so negatively by its transgressions that SMU. While we deserved penalties, the Death Penalty and its consequences exceeding anything reasonable.

Further, our former SWC mates piled on when the SWC disbanded and the subsequent, repeated expansions by BigXII's were denied us.

Our donors played the one card that allows us to be invited to a major conference along with two other fine universities, Cal and Stanford, i.e., delaying for nine years media revenue. SMU did the only thing we could. Folks that complain about our decision to invest should be careful what they say. Excuse us, but the entire realignment of college athletic conference has been driven by revenue and gaining more of it. What is best for the student athlete is a throw away comment.

When we arrive in the ACC, SMU will thrive.
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby peruna81 » Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:42 pm

From Death Row to Tobacco Road...
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:48 pm

I'm so pumped. Living in DC area puts me in sane driving distance from UVA, VT, Duke, UNC, NC State, Louisville, Pitt, Clemson and a nice train ride to BC. Stanford, Cal, GT, FSU, U, ND and Syracuse a bit of a hike.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby HailToPitt725 » Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:23 pm

Water Pony wrote:Today's news has created enthusiasm for me that has been missing since the late eighties. The wandering in so many conferences since our SWC days, tempered what was possible and rewarding for SMU. In one glorious moment that has vanished.

One other comment is the recent criticism we have received by some national posters that SMU is buying its way into the ACC (or PAC-12). I reject those posts without hesitation. No schools was impacted so negatively by its transgressions that SMU. While we deserved penalties, the Death Penalty and its consequences exceeding anything reasonable.

Further, our former SWC mates piled on when the SWC disbanded and the subsequent, repeated expansions by BigXII's were denied us.

Our donors played the one card that allows us to be invited to a major conference along with two other fine universities, Cal and Stanford, i.e., delaying for nine years media revenue. SMU did the only thing we could. Folks that complain about our decision to invest should be careful what they say. Excuse us, but the entire realignment of college athletic conference has been driven by revenue and gaining more of it. What is best for the student athlete is a throw away comment.

Honestly, I’d embrace the “bought” narrative if I were SMU. I get you’re probably sensitive to that topic because of the historical ties to the Death Penalty, but the way I see it, what you’re doing to secure your power conference future is no different than what UCLA/USC, OU/Texas, or any other school has done during realignment. In the age of NIL, anything goes. The audacity they have to have double standards towards SMU just because you’re moving up from G5.

I think a lot of folks are spinning it that way because they’re nervous what that type of money can do in the ACC. It wouldn’t surprise me if SMU is near the top of the conference within a few years.
HailToPitt725

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:54 pm

HailToPitt725 wrote:
Water Pony wrote:Today's news has created enthusiasm for me that has been missing since the late eighties. The wandering in so many conferences since our SWC days, tempered what was possible and rewarding for SMU. In one glorious moment that has vanished.

Honestly, I’d embrace the “bought” narrative if I were SMU. I get you’re probably sensitive to that topic because of the historical ties to the Death Penalty, but the way I see it, what you’re doing to secure your power conference future is no different than what UCLA/USC, OU/Texas, or any other school has done during realignment. In the age of NIL, anything goes. The audacity they have to have double standards towards SMU just because you’re moving up from G5.

I think a lot of folks are spinning it that way because they’re nervous what that type of money can do in the ACC. It wouldn’t surprise me if SMU is near the top of the conference within a few years.

I agree wholeheartedly. SMU's enrollment and alumni donations dropped pretty dramatically after the death penalty and there is no denying we cheated...our sin was that we cheated better than our hypocritical competitors. We will see what happens now that SMU is back competing on a level playing field in athletics. What's lost in all of this is the significant upgrade SMU has made in terms of it's academic affiliation...HUGE!
Charleston Pony

Postby TexanMark » Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:08 pm

bubba pony wrote:Add Notre Dame to the list. We use to be rivals

You should see ND 2-3 times a decade.

ND will try to get the Dallas game at JerryWorld
TexanMark
Recruit

Postby TexanMark » Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:13 pm

EastStang wrote:I'm so pumped. Living in DC area puts me in sane driving distance from UVA, VT, Duke, UNC, NC State, Louisville, Pitt, Clemson and a nice train ride to BC. Stanford, Cal, GT, FSU, U, ND and Syracuse a bit of a hike.

DC to Cuse
1 hr plane ride or 6 hr car ride...hardest part is getting out of DC on a Friday night and the continuous highway construction in PA.
TexanMark
Recruit

Postby HailToPitt725 » Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:21 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
HailToPitt725 wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly. SMU's enrollment and alumni donations dropped pretty dramatically after the death penalty and there is no denying we cheated...our sin was that we cheated better than our hypocritical competitors. We will see what happens now that SMU is back competing on a level playing field in athletics. What's lost in all of this is the significant upgrade SMU has made in terms of it's academic affiliation...HUGE!

It’s a shame that academics are getting lost in all of this, because SMU is an excellent institutional fit in the ACC. Top 100 university that has made great strides over the past 10–12 years.

It’s really a win-win for both parties; SMU gets to align itself with Cal, Stanford, Duke, etc. while the rest of the conference now a has pathway into recruiting students in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex. I LOVE who Pitt is associated with.
HailToPitt725

Postby orguy » Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:29 pm

TexanMark wrote:

ND will try to get the Dallas game at JerryWorld[/qu
TexanMark wrote:

ND will try to get the Dallas game at JerryWorld

Jerry J is not a fan of anything SMU. Interesting how this
might work out.
orguy
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:34 pm

orguy wrote:Jerry J is not a fan of anything SMU. Interesting how this
might work out.

And yet he was so enamored with the job Chad did at SMU he pushed for Arkansas to hire him away. That worked out well, didn't it?
Charleston Pony

Postby Dukie » Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:51 pm

might work out.

Jerry is a fan of money and that's all that (really) matters. Also a lot of crossover between HP and SMU, so there are ways to make this work.

I do think SMU will need to--and should want to--host certain games at JerryWorld. But only selectively. Maybe ND gets JerryWorld out of respect/thanks. F$U and "u"NC have to come to Ford. I at least respect Klempson keeping their mouths shut about how much they want to leave so I'm on the fence about that one.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:59 pm

Dukie wrote:
might work out.

Jerry is a fan of money and that's all that (really) matters. Also a lot of crossover between HP and SMU, so there are ways to make this work.

I do think SMU will need to--and should want to--host certain games at JerryWorld. But only selectively. Maybe ND gets JerryWorld out of respect/thanks. F$U and "u"NC have to come to Ford. I at least respect Klempson keeping their mouths shut about how much they want to leave so I'm on the fence about that one.

I lived in Durham from '87-'91 (the Hurley/Laettner Final Four years and a brief Spurrier football visit) and adopted Duke as my ACC school but then moved to Charleston and both my kids went to Clemson so Duke was my ACC hoops school and Clemson my ACC football team. I now have an "all sports favorite" ACC team, or at least I will starting in 2024-25. Going to be fun in our family.
Charleston Pony

Postby Arkpony » Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:05 pm

I want to thank our wonderful donors and the administration for pulling this off, however do not disregard the rumored behind the scenes activism of Pony stalwarts Mrydel, Ponyte and the irrepressible Bus.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby redpony » Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:34 pm

we all owe immense thanks to our booster/donors for stepping up and making this happen. Now it is time for RL and his staff to show the world that we belong by bringing home a championship in our last year of being in the AAC.
redpony

Postby bubba pony » Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:28 pm

https://businessnc.com/n-c-states-woods ... expansion/

why NC State Flipped

previously mentioned on ponyfans, NCS saw what happen to Oregan State, Washington State, Oklahoma State, and flipped. UNC announcement they would vote no and expected the little sister to follow. We can thank North Carolina State Chancellor Randy Woodson who went out on his own.
bubba pony
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football