PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Question about SMU optimism

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby Stallion » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:57 pm

Baylor is the poster boy that proves that in order to be successful you must recruit well against your level of competition. SMU's level of competition is from Top 60-Top 105 in the Nation. Baylor's level of competition in the Big 12 South is from No. 1-No. 40 in the country. As Hayden Fry or Darrell Royal used to say they got their plow stuck in hard ground-and they have a very very long way to go to be competitive. Their record in the Big 12 South pretty much tells it all.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:29 pm

Baylor has been in the Big XII for 9 years…anyone want to guess the most conference games they've won in a season?

Personally, I find this entire smack from Baylor fans entertaining. They truly are doormats, but make a perfect opponent for SMU. This game should be a sellout and will create 10x more buzz than Arkansas State. We should schedule Baylor and TCU every year possible.

btw, Baylor’s Big XII conference record is 6-66. They have never won more than 1 conference game in a season.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Stallion » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:46 pm

I've said it several times-I would much rather schedule Baylor than TCU. I've seen every SMU/Baylor and SMU/TCU game for about 40 years. You can count the number of good SMU/TCU games on one hand. Every SMU/Baylor game between 1975 and 1986 was a Classic. Instead of spending time trying to schedule the Seven Sisters of the Southland Conference Copeland should be doing everything in his power to sign a long term -and I mean- permanent game with Baylor. This game is Baylor's big opportunity to show off its program to DFW recruits and their large Dallas alumni. This game can be sold as beneficial to both programs. Baylor needs a presence in Dallas.
Stallion

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:10 pm

I agree about playing Baylor...in both football and bball. Would be great to have them...and TCU and UNT, for that matter, as conference mates. I really wouldn't mind a non-conference schedule that included all 3 every year. Use the 12th game to play an occasional game against A$M, TTech, OSU, Ark, etc... I really don't care if we don't leave the region...unless/until we demonstrate at some point in the future this program can compete with anyone.
Charleston Pony

Postby JudgeChamber » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:39 pm

Stallion wrote:there is not a single recruiting source that would rate your talent even in the same league as the other schools in the Big 12 South. Don't be blowing that smoke in my face-because anybody who follows recruiting knows you are making a total fool of yourself by claiming otherwise. There is a reason Baylor is the UNANIMOUS choice for doormat of the Big 12 South.

I don't consider recruiting rankings to be evidence, I consider them to be opinions. I DO consider looking at the statistics for the team over the time that Morriss has been coach of, and seeing the improvement in the competition. The numbers are improving, and even that's skewed by the fact that when Steele was coach most of our opponents were playing their second and third strings against us in the second half. That stopped almost from the instant Morriss started coaching. There is improvement in the performance of the team, despite the opinions of people who are being paid by the huge subscription numbers of schools like UT and A&M.

I could outline a number of Baylor players that were rated as 2*s but are All-Conference players, some as soon as their Freshman year. Morriss has more All-Conference players in two years than Steele had in 4. Whether the rankings of Rivals or Scout say it or not, Baylor's talent is coming more into line with the rest of the Big XII South, and that will be proved out this year and next.
JudgeChamber
Scout Team

Postby Stallion » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:05 pm

you may consider them to be opinions but they have correctly tabbed Baylor as doormats of the Big 12 South for years now. You have plenty of buddies on this board that want to talk about individual exceptions to the rule but you never want to talk about the fact that they have been uncanny predictors of Baylor's - and for that matter SMU's dismal conference results. They are much more than just opinions with that track record.
Stallion

Stallion rules, Baylor's foolish

Postby Sam I Am » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:00 pm

The Waco rubes will rue contesting Stallion's knowledge of recruiting that is for sure. Predicting that Baylor wil continue to be a BIG 12 doormat is a cinch, which is different than predicting whether SMU can beat the Bears this year (a definte maybe). Stallion is also right about scheduling Baylor every year we can get them. I like keepng TCU too, and have grudgingly conceded that the UNT game makes dollars and sense. I hate having more than one Sun Belt or Southland Conference level school on our NC schedule per year. The closer we get to kickoff that harder it gets to wait for real football instead of word hockey.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby BrianTinBigD » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:41 am

I would love to see Baylor, TCU, and NTSU as regular opponents every year. I have always had a dislike for all 3 schools. Plus it is a an easy away game to get to for all 3 as well. Just one more game that I can get to that does not require flying. That final non-conference can be against either UT,TT,Ark, or TAMU. I so miss the SWC.

As for all the pathetic Baylor fans that are looking for 2 conference wins this year, get over it. You may beat us, but you are nothing more than the worst team in the Big 12 again. KU is even better than you are. Yes, Baylor is that bad. Don't delude yourselves. Don't get all excited about beating on the Pony. Don't think that because you were able to win 1 conference game last year that you are going bowling. Heck, Baylor wins only 1 out of every 11 Big 12 games they play. According to the mathematical trend, you are not due until 2007.

As for all the damnable interlopers that are making my life less enjoyable on this borad, please take a hike back to your own boards. I don't go over to your house and crap all over your lawn, tell you how pathetic you are, how great we are, etc... So for all the Bear fans and Texas State Armadillo fans, kindly leave and go live with your own kind. That also goes for Sand Aggies and Green Weanies and anyone else that is just over hear trolling for enjoyment. We know we suck and we are not happy about it. I just don't need to hear from the 1-AA fans or have fans from Vandy, Rutgers, Wake Forest, and Duke hopping on our board saying that at least they don't suck like us.

Just remember that things change in college football. Good examples of schools that have sucked for a long time to only turn it around are K-State, Cal, Miami, Utah, and Oregon. We have just had a harder road to follow with the death penalty, the Pye penalty, and the Copeland Albatross. This may be the year or it may not. I don't know but I do know that if I look at the tradition that we have had over the years and the facilities that SMU has, someday we are going to find our football savior if it is not Bennet and we will once again have our moment in the sun. Baylor on the other hand still has that crappy stadium off campus(which is not a bad thing considering how ugly it is), is hamstring with its religous message, and is still located in Waco the last time I looked. So with my rambling complete I will now go to bed realizing that in 1 more week, I will be sitting on the BLVD drinking a tasty beverage under my tent, enjoying a little BBQ, while the portable AC unit I brought with me keeps my comfortable while I run Baylor-SMU NCAA Football simulations on the Xbox. I am so glad football season is here. Got tickets for the Allen-Mesquite game tomorrow just to tune up. I wonder how the campus police would feel if I did a tailgating dry run tomorrow.
Class of '91
BrianTinBigD
Heisman

Postby oakley » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:06 am

BrianTinBigD wrote:I would love to see Baylor as regular opponents every year.

As for all the pathetic Baylor fans that are looking for 2 conference wins this year, get over it. You may beat us, but you are nothing more than the worst team in the Big 12 again. KU is even better than you are. Yes, Baylor is that bad. Don't delude yourselves. Don't get all excited about beating on the Pony. Don't think that because you were able to win 1 conference game last year that you are going bowling. Heck, Baylor wins only 1 out of every 11 Big 12 games they play. According to the mathematical trend, you are not due until 2007.

Just remember that things change in college football. Good examples of schools that have sucked for a long time to only turn it around are K-State, Cal, Miami, Utah, and Oregon. We have just had a harder road to follow with the death penalty, the Pye penalty, and the Copeland Albatross. This may be the year or it may not. I don't know but I do know that if I look at the tradition that we have had over the years and the facilities that SMU has, someday we are going to find our football savior if it is not Bennet and we will once again have our moment in the sun.

So with my rambling complete I will now go to bed realizing that in 1 more week, I will be sitting on the BLVD drinking a tasty beverage under my tent, enjoying a little BBQ, while the portable AC unit I brought with me keeps my comfortable while I run Baylor-SMU NCAA Football simulations on the Xbox. I am so glad football season is here. Got tickets for the Allen-Mesquite game tomorrow just to tune up. I wonder how the campus police would feel if I did a tailgating dry run tomorrow.

so, your team will improve because the sun rises in the East and sets in the West and because of this, Baylor will stay bad at playing football? Put down the crack pipe.
oakley
Junior Varsity

Postby RGV Pony » Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:40 am

I'm really starting to wonder about these Baylor types posting on the board. Mentions of crack pipes? I'm truly amazed...because at the women's final four, I ran across a lot of baylor fans-stayed at their foundation's hotel. I don't think a saw a soul under 50. I think a few pulled up in buses on gameday, but by and large it appeared to be a medicare crowd to me. If these demographics hold true, why is it that all these old folk are over here posting on our board? Or is it that Dallas is close enough that the younger ilk can afford the sheckles it costs to drive up for the game?
RGV Pony

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:38 am

those baylor types have gone insane! they win one conference game last year, and all of a sudden they think they are oklahoma! baylor fans talk more trash than any other team we have played. baylor is favored to beat us and probably should, but no matter what the outcome, they have proved themselves to be a classless group of jerks. i will be watching to count their wins once big 12 competion starts. :wink: go ponies!
ALEX LIFESON

Postby Stallion » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:16 am

how many opportunities does Baylor have per year to play a Division 1A team-and old rival-who they actually have a chance to beat?
Stallion

Postby BrianTinBigD » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:05 pm

[quote="oakley]

so, your team will improve because the sun rises in the East and sets in the West and because of this, Baylor will stay bad at playing football? Put down the crack pipe.[/quote]

Crack pipe? Damn, that is an awesome comeback. You must have spent hours googling the web for the appropriate comeback. I made the comment that SMU has a better chance of improvement than Baylor.
- Baylor has [deleted] poor football facilities
- a school that does not appeal to non-baptists
a history of being mediocre in football(Baylor was almost as bad as TCU and Rice in the SWC and nobody has been worse in the Big 12)
- only won 2 SWC championships
- currently is the official doormat of the Big 12(see schools like Rutgers, Wake Forest, and Vandy and see where they are going in their big conferences)
- has only recruited on truly great football player that is in the Hall of Fame
- still located in Waco.

SMU has a history to lean on(both good and bad), but much better facilities, better location, and has a much better chance than Baylor at winning their conference on a regular basis. So for you to believe that I am hitting the crack pipe, you must currently be high on meth to believe that somehow God will finally bless Baylor with everything it needs to win in the Big 12. I just don't ever see that happening.
Class of '91
BrianTinBigD
Heisman

Postby JudgeChamber » Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:14 pm

BrianTinBigD wrote:[quote="oakley]

so, your team will improve because the sun rises in the East and sets in the West and because of this, Baylor will stay bad at playing football? Put down the crack pipe.

Crack pipe? Damn, that is an awesome comeback. You must have spent hours googling the web for the appropriate comeback. I made the comment that SMU has a better chance of improvement than Baylor.
- Baylor has [deleted] poor football facilities
- a school that does not appeal to non-baptists
a history of being mediocre in football(Baylor was almost as bad as TCU and Rice in the SWC and nobody has been worse in the Big 12)
- only won 2 SWC championships
- currently is the official doormat of the Big 12(see schools like Rutgers, Wake Forest, and Vandy and see where they are going in their big conferences)
- has only recruited on truly great football player that is in the Hall of Fame
- still located in Waco.

SMU has a history to lean on(both good and bad), but much better facilities, better location, and has a much better chance than Baylor at winning their conference on a regular basis. So for you to believe that I am hitting the crack pipe, you must currently be high on meth to believe that somehow God will finally bless Baylor with everything it needs to win in the Big 12. I just don't ever see that happening.[/quote]

OK, so it's obvious you have no idea what you are talking about.
JudgeChamber
Scout Team

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:54 pm

Wow Judge, that was a clever response! lol!!! Even with spotting Baylor eight wins in a row post DP, SMU still has the all-time series lead 36-34-7. I havn't heard you baylor gooms bring up last seasons HIDE TANNING SMU put on you boys............didn't SMU stomp your criminal basketball thugs by THIRTY something??? :twisted:
ALEX LIFESON

PreviousNext

Return to Football