PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Offensive Coordinator Candidates

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Offensive Coordinator Candidates

Postby cowboypony » Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:58 am

Dooby, I'm clearly aware of Flanigan's role at UNT. As I stated, provide me with any evidence that Flanigan has more experience developing and coordinating an offensive system than Dodge. In fact, he has virtually no experience in "developing" an offense and not much more in "coordinating" one. No overselling is needed on my part. Unlike me, you were probably one of the people that said Art Briles is just a good high school football coach. Me, on the other hand, advocated that we try to hire Briles from Stephenville a few years back. Just ask about anyone who has ever taken a look at what Dodge did at RL Turner and Carroll. Hey, I'd love to have Flanigan back; however, hiring him as coordinator would be a huge, huge risk.
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby Corso » Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:56 pm

What about grabbing a QB coach from a future C-USA rival? If they have a good (pass-happy) guy, we could improve our offense AND lessen an opposing offense.

I know -- a reach. Just a thought.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby gostangs » Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:20 pm

and get a quick crash course on our new rivals, and probably a good recruiter with a couple in tow. Great idea!
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PlanoStang » Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:20 pm

Mega " on that one.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby In Tate We Trust » Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:04 pm

Um .... Marshall's QB coach is a guy named Larry Kueck. Anyone interested? :whistling:
In Tate We Trust
Scout Team

Postby ponyrider1947 » Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:41 pm

Most of the posters on this board are pathetic. Just keep on living in your dreams about who you'd like to get as OC. But you are ignoring the REAL posters who know what the real problem is...that Bennett didn't give Edmundson a chance...that Bennett overrode Edmundson's every thought and idea... I hope to hell Bennett does hire someone with some balls who will stand up to his dictatorship, but there will be major fireworks if he does. In the meantime, just keep having your own little OC welcoming parties - they mean nothing if the new OC isn't given some leeway to make his own gd decisions.
ponyrider1947
Recruit

Postby Thumper » Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:54 pm

You're right - why can't we all be as supportive and enthusiastic as you are? I don't know the goings-on behind closed doors any more than you or any other fan, and even the players and their families don't know what goes on in coaches' meetings. Whatever the real dynamic is between the coaches, my impression of Coach Bennett is that -- like the rest of us -- he doesn't know everything, but he does know a hell of a lot, and he's an extremely smart man who will continue to learn as he goes along. Can he coach better? Well, of course. Will better talent make him a better coach? Again -- of course. To suggest there's never any friction within a group of people who work closely together -- whether it's the players or the coaches or someone else -- would be naive. But Coach Bennett is a smart, mature man who will continue to develop into a better head coach. He's had too much experience with too many successful programs and too many successful coaches to not learn as he goes along. Preach doom if you wish. I prefer to focus on the encouraging signs that indicate the team will get better in 2004.
Thumper
Varsity

Postby mrydel » Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:57 am

I doubt very seriously that any of us on this board are going to influence the selection of an OC. I prefer to operate under the assumption that Bennett is a good coach with a plan to build a solid program. This plan takes time and whether or not some people like to admit it, when it comes to the team and coaches, he is the boss. He has every right to speak his mind and use his authority. It took Hayden Fry until 1971 to realize he was an offensive genius but was not a great defensive mind. He turned the job over and things improved. Let Bennett learn and put his plan into action.

Regardless of who is selected, this board will think he is a genius and the other board will predict he will take us to the depths of despair. Critique does not always have to be critical, it can be constructive. I still believe we have the makings of a good program in line and the fruits of the labor will begin to take shape next year and benfits will begin to be reaped in 2005. ( and some JUCO plugs would sure be nice for Christmas.)
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby OldPony » Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:09 am

Open up the pocketbooks and get the OC from Miami Ohio. Talk about great QB development over the past 5-6 years.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby cowboypony » Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:50 am

I watched most of Miami's game last night. Some quick observations:

1. Their QB is as good as any in the country. extrememly accurate and strong arm.
2. The athleticism on that team is worthy of a top 25 ranking. In watching various positions, I can only hope we will someday have this type of athlete.
3. Their offensive line is top notch. Big and athletic. The camera showed the entire offensive line sitting on the bench following one of the many Miami touchdowns. These guys are MEN not boys. Most of them looked like WWF wrestlers. (By the way, one of the announcers, Kirk Herbstreit, a former Ohio State QB stated, "Miami by far has the best offensive line the State of Ohio."

I don't think this team is a fluke by any stretch of the imagination. It's real simple, give me their athletes and I'll coach a winner too.

One final observation: TCU better be glad their not playing Miami. The score would be ugly.
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby McAndless » Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:31 am

This may be worthy of starting an entirely new thread, but during "The Committment" speeches, was there any legit conversation concerning a training table. It cannot be complete coincidence that we are so small up front compared to so many schools. Not only do we recruit little, we keep them little by feeding them what, Mac's Place? That's a shame.
McAndless
Junior Varsity

Postby Mike Damone » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:25 pm

Regarding "Ponyrider"

It sure has been boring around here with out the "insiders" showing up. Let me ask this, though. If Edmondson was so mistreated and wasn't given a chance, why in the world would he stay and accept a re-assignment?
The attitude dictates that you don't care whether she comes, stays, lays, or prays. I mean whatever happens, your toes are still tappin'. Now when you got that, then you have the attitude.

-Me
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby MrMustang1965 » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:31 pm

Footballscoop.com is reporting that TCU's OC Mike Shultz is in the hunt for the HC slot at UTEP. For what it's worth.
MrMustang1965

Postby FloridaMustang » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:34 pm

I think Edmonson knows he failed as OC.. but he loves this program and still wants to be a part of it. That shows a lot about not only his character, but about Bennett's as well. THESE GUYS GET ALONG behind the scenes. I've seen it. They bicker and argue like any coaching staff would when things aren't working. What staff wouldn't be at each other's throats with an 0-12 season?

Give Bennett some credit.. the Bennett haters were calling for a staff re-shuffling at the end of last year, and now those same people are condemning him for this move.

Hypocrisy. Let the man do his job.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby McAndless » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:40 pm

Mike Damone, I am quiet the insider, but only Coach Edmondson can answer that one. Just guessing, though, but he's probably looking for some more stability, not wanting to continue the trend of picking up and moving every few years. He now has a son entering high school, a pivotal time of any kids' life, and not bashing his abilities, but don't think Ringo and Miller were relieved of duties because they were so inadequate, merely someone had to go. Bennett and Edmondson have been close since the 80's and Phil wants to protect him every way possible. I credit Bennett for the loyalty, and Edmondson, having been the OC, probably has a greater respect for a position coach and may bring more to the table now. But don't discredit people because we know truths that may not seem possible to the average fan who wants to see success so badly that they aren't open to honest insights.
McAndless
Junior Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Football