PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Smu Football: Staying Positive

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Smu Football: Staying Positive

Postby ponyboy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:33 pm

couch 'em wrote:Here we go with the same QB savior talk based on a tiny bit of football. And tge cycle repeats.

Who said anything about a savior? Neal's a nice player. Geez, it's like some of you are *determined* not to enjoy your team.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Smu_rise » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:57 pm

[/quote] ojaipony: I hear you. It's a bit of a chicken and egg thing. I get it. But all we have to look to as an example as to how to make it work here at SMU is the first Moody game (against UConn) though. That was a "big time" college lifestyle type thing (using your words a little bit here). The team hadn't really done anything yet, but it was rocking! Why? Because the coach embraced the community and brought in some talent and won some games and put in work in the recruiting dept and showed the community that he was going "all out" (sorry, I know I know . ..). And then of course SMU marketing got behind it . . . LB also kind of led "the Mob" efforts and "coached them up" . . . finally, of course, then we WON! (if we had gotten blown out like football always does against aTm, BU, etc, Moody would be empty). But this is the kind of stuff Jones could be doing, but doesn't . . . I can't really control that you are right. But that's part of what needs to be done to get to the type of atmosphere/lifestyle you are referencing I think. IMHO. All starts with the HC and how he approaches program building (staff, culture, etc etc).[/quote]

I can't argue with that! Well said. I guess I am just an optimist in the fact that I believe that whoever is making the decisions on who the head coach is, is good at their job (Larry Brown is just one example) and that they are in that position for a reason. So, negativity will only make things worse, seeing as how they aren't listening to you and I anyways.
>Stay positive< >Refuse to lose<
Smu_rise
Recruit

Postby CalallenStang » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:54 am

Smu_rise wrote:
So, as fans, we must ask ourselves...what makes a successful season? Is it ok to be upset that we don't go undefeated or win 10 games every year? Absolutely! But, we aren't Alabama, Florida St., or Michigan.

Stopped reading after this.

We can't expect great things because we aren't Alabama, FSU, or Michigan? Tell that to Boise State, TCU pre-Big 12, or Utah pre-PAC 12. Those schools all set out to become national powers, created a plan, and expected to achieve progress on that plan each year. They didn't accept lower standards for themselves because of who they were.

You, and those who agree with your statement above, are the problem. The solution is to create a plan to become a national title and achieve progress on that plan every year. Going backwards isn't acceptable. Not aggressively working towards progress on the plan isn't acceptable.

The sooner we stop accepting mediocrity, the better off we will be.
CalallenStang

Postby skurtn » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:28 pm

I think some people think "accepting mediocrity" is the same as "refraining from bashing the team and its coaches over and over again".
skurtn
All-American

Postby CalallenStang » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:56 pm

skurtn wrote:I think some people think "accepting mediocrity" is the same as "refraining from bashing the team and its coaches over and over again".

You should read my post again if you think that is what I was saying
CalallenStang

Postby Smu_rise » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:24 pm

CalallenStang wrote:
Smu_rise wrote:
So, as fans, we must ask ourselves...what makes a successful season? Is it ok to be upset that we don't go undefeated or win 10 games every year? Absolutely! But, we aren't Alabama, Florida St., or Michigan.

We can't expect great things because we aren't Alabama, FSU, or Michigan? Tell that to Boise State, TCU pre-Big 12, or Utah pre-PAC 12. Those schools all set out to become national powers, created a plan, and expected to achieve progress on that plan each year. They didn't accept lower standards for themselves because of who they were.

You, and those who agree with your statement above, are the problem. The solution is to create a plan to become a national title and achieve progress on that plan every year. Going backwards isn't acceptable. Not aggressively working towards progress on the plan isn't acceptable.

You must have missed my first sentence. I completely agree with you! I think your statement belongs in the "how to become a national powerhouse" thread though. I merely wanted to convey my opionion on staying positive and how and why we should acheive that for our CURRENT program. :)
Smu_rise
Recruit

Postby Smu_rise » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:31 pm

CalallenStang wrote:
Smu_rise wrote:

Check out the June Jones interview on the board. That's a guy who is staying positive and who knows what he's talking about.
Smu_rise
Recruit

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:42 pm

Smu_rise wrote:Check out the June Jones interview on the board. That's a guy who is staying positive and who knows what he's talking about.

Hey FTHP I mean B12Mustang I mean Smu_rise,

What do you think he's going to say?

"I've sucked at recruiting for 2.5 years and this season is going to be abysmal as a result."

God you're stupid. Could the mods please ban the accounts that have like 5 usernames all under one IP?
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby sbsmith » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:56 pm

Smu_rise wrote:Check out the June Jones interview on the board. That's a guy who is staying positive and who knows what he's talking about.

Except for the whining about the schedule and our facilities. Sounds like a guy who is looking to blame anyone but himself for his own failures.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby Big12Mustang » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:56 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:

"I've sucked at recruiting for 2.5 years and this season is going to be abysmal as a result."

God you're stupid. Could the mods please ban the accounts that have like 5 usernames all under one IP?

Witch Hunt. Bully.

You make me laugh and now much more in Happy Hour :lol:
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Smu_rise » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:58 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:

Perfect example of being negative. Great way to show support for your team! :( Taking the high road...
Smu_rise
Recruit

Postby CalallenStang » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:26 pm

sbsmith wrote:

Except for the whining about the schedule and our facilities. Sounds like a guy who is looking to blame anyone but himself for his own failures.

Correct.

Smu_rise never addressed what I said: The expectation should be making progress each year towards being a national power.
CalallenStang

Postby Big12Mustang » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:34 pm

CalallenStang wrote:
sbsmith wrote:

Correct.

Smu_rise never addressed what I said: The expectation should be making progress each year towards being a national power.

True. This is June's last chance to prove that before the fanbase completely shrinks to 1,000
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Smu_rise » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:10 pm

CalallenStang wrote:
sbsmith wrote:

Correct.

Agreed!!! IMO, everything coach Jones said was the truth though. The guy obviously wants to win. Quick question for you too; Not just relating to SMU...Better to exceed "little expectations" (5-7) to (8-4) or fall short of "big expectations" (11-1) to (8-4) ?
Smu_rise
Recruit

Postby sbsmith » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:45 pm

Smu_rise wrote:Agreed!!! IMO, everything coach Jones said was the truth though. The guy obviously wants to win.

Pretty obvious he doesn't want to win as much as the competition or he'd be much better at recruiting.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

PreviousNext

Return to Football