PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

why won't hart and/or Turner

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: why won't hart and/or Turner

Postby SMUstangs22 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:50 pm

Puckhead48E wrote:I agree and apologize. I will now follow the herd and listen to basically the same thing we have been told for the past 20+ years and expect a different outcome.

I have never followed a herd. Must stink stepping in all of that poop.
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:53 pm

Puckhead48E wrote:I agree and apologize. I will now follow the herd and listen to basically the same thing we have been told for the past 20+ years and expect a different outcome.

No. Why don't you go sit in Turner's office, take notes, and let us know the real story.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby couch 'em » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:55 pm

Even a printed statement will be lies anyway
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby SMUstangs22 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:55 pm

mrydel wrote:

No. Why don't you go sit in Turner's office, take notes, and let us know the real story.

Turner doesn't like poop on his rugs
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby Puckhead48E » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:34 pm

I love that I point out several reasons why a publicized plan for the turnaround of a program is both beneficial and positive, and how it might also hold Turner's feet to the fire when it comes to program support, and the result is a bunch of whining.

"I have never followed a herd. Must stink stepping in all of that poop."
A herd of cattle suffering in the depths of ebola induced fluid-expulsion wouldn't smell as bad as the odor emanating from this program and everything related to it.

"No. Why don't you go sit in Turner's office, take notes, and let us know the real story."
Why would anyone do this? In case you missed it, the only time he has been associated with a successful football program, he was with Switzer and company. Would you prefer we follow his historical track record of epic failure, or just rely on hoping he falls back on those life lessons learned at OU by allowing football players to start shooting crap in their dorms? Plus, if I am supposed to take notes of football, then I better only bring a single post-it note if I plan on filling that paper in a month.

"Even a printed statement will be lies anyway."
Yeah...but it is something public that exceeds the current statement of "we will be really good in the AAC and have the best athletic program in the AAC...and we will try really hard...and we will always share our lunch and bring sharp pencils to class." Anything with specifics has to be answered to at a later time and date. What we have now is a soup sandwich that isn't worth the press release it was associated with.

But I guess with this group you can only question results...not the people associated with them...unless they are named JJ.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby 78pony » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:19 pm

The year, 2030. The score: RGT 35 years, Zero championships in FB or Bb. One women's equestrian championship in our 9th alphabet soup conference. Mrydel still reassuring there is a plan, we don't need to know it, turner has it under control, go back and sit in the corner and be quiet.
78pony
Heisman

Postby couch 'em » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:35 pm

The real problem is not Turner, it is the Ken Pye-esque governance structure. Huge BoT with few SMU alumni. Too big and disconnected. The BoG may have been too small to avoid corruption but we need something in between
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby redpony » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:36 pm

puck- agree with your comments. I find it interesting that some people don't feel he should have a plan and be accountable. If this were a listed corporation they would have to present their financials. Normally in their annual statement the CEO outlines their plans, strategies, and tactics to reach those goals. And of course, the stakeholders can hold the CEO accountable for his performance or lack thereof.
Amazing that the plans and actions or our university is none of our business. Of course we will always be made aware when a new fountain has been constructed. And then some alumni wonder why others have a negative attitude toward the school, just don't give a crap what happens and refuse to ante up for the mysterious goings on.
redpony

Postby mrydel » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:00 pm

78pony wrote:The year, 2030. The score: RGT 35 years, Zero championships in FB or Bb. One women's equestrian championship in our 9th alphabet soup conference. Mrydel still reassuring there is a plan, we don't need to know it, turner has it under control, go back and sit in the corner and be quiet.

Never once have I said there is a plan, although I am sure there is something, good or bad, so please quit misstating the truth. What I said is why do you think you deserve for the president of the University to lay out a plan just for you? If you are wiling to give enough then do so and I am sure you can get a private audience. Then you can pass it along as you see fit.
mrydel

Postby redpony » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:07 pm

mrydel- I am surprised at your comments and attitude toward openness. IIRC you work in the banking industry. Does your bank (or holding company) not delineate any of their goals and how they will accomplish them to their stockholders? Do they tell no one of their financial condition other than the reports they send to the gov't?

Why should we not expect some degree of openness and accountability from the admin. of our university? They are not bashful about asking for money. Should we not be able to know how it will be spent and what their goals and plans are?
redpony

Postby mrydel » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:14 pm

My bank reports just like the university does. We send the shareholders an annual report forward it with a generic letter from the president. We do not send individual reports on day to day business to anyone with an account. If someone wants an appointment to sit down with the president, I am sure they could call and try to schedule an appointment.
mrydel

Postby SMUer » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:04 pm

Wanting more than "we want to compete for championships", the "how", is not the same as requesting day-to-day reports. Straw Man.
SMUer

Postby Puckhead48E » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:44 pm

SMUer wrote:Wanting more than "we want to compete for championships", the "how", is not the same as requesting day-to-day reports. Straw Man.

Possibly the nicest way to say "you are full of [deleted]." I'm beginning to think a few here have become for Turner those backers they themselves decried when discussing Jones. I believe the key here is accountability. What some seem to lose here in the ether is the complete lack of accountability for the downfall of this program. Jones is gone, and with him the direct cause. However, there is oversight expected at several levels.
Hart is new, so he gets some benefit, but he needs to show some fortitude and independence. Maybe he got LB, but he is also leader of the department whose PR team (same one who gets high grades for basketball) can't get out of their own way for any other program. He isn't an untouchable deity as some seem to suggest.
Turner is the overall big-guy who pulls the strings. He is the man behind the curtain. He needs to be called to task for his lack of leadership and oversight.

That is what a plan delineating specific goals does. It lists goals and waypoints publicly that these leaders can be called to task for not meeting in the future. Maybe this is better done once a coach is hired, but I believe a statement of essential standards for the organization and program as a whole will go a long way. It will also help us get a better coach.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby PK » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:38 am

Puckhead48E wrote:
SMUer wrote:Wanting more than "we want to compete for championships", the "how", is not the same as requesting day-to-day reports. Straw Man.

Possibly the nicest way to say "you are full of [deleted]." I'm beginning to think a few here have become for Turner those backers they themselves decried when discussing Jones. I believe the key here is accountability. What some seem to lose here in the ether is the complete lack of accountability for the downfall of this program. Jones is gone, and with him the direct cause. However, there is oversight expected at several levels.
Hart is new, so he gets some benefit, but he needs to show some fortitude and independence. Maybe he got LB, but he is also leader of the department whose PR team (same one who gets high grades for basketball) can't get out of their own way for any other program. He isn't an untouchable deity as some seem to suggest.
Turner is the overall big-guy who pulls the strings. He is the man behind the curtain. He needs to be called to task for his lack of leadership and oversight.

That is what a plan delineating specific goals does. It lists goals and waypoints publicly that these leaders can be called to task for not meeting in the future. Maybe this is better done once a coach is hired, but I believe a statement of essential standards for the organization and program as a whole will go a long way. It will also help us get a better coach.

As I stated in another thread:
Everybody needs to take a deep breath here. The board of trustees set the agenda. Unfortunately less than half of that board has any direct relationship to SMU. That is a result of the DP...basically an extreme knee jerk reaction to the DP. Until the Board realizes the benefits of successful football and basketball programs to the overall success of the university in terms of recognition and overall attractiveness to potential students in todays culture things aren't going to change much. Turner promotes what the board dictates he promotes. Increasing the endowment and increasing the facilities and staff have been his goals set by the board. He is president of the university, but not free to do as he likes...one way or the other.

TCU's board of trustees get it...not so sure of SMU's.

I am not necessarily trying to defend RGT, but I'm not sure we are throwing stones at the right person/group.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby novasmu » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:42 pm

Looks like the former coach of the SMU Mustangs is winning this dialogue in the press about SMU's academic restrictions.

Quote from article in today's Tulsa World:

"Why is it so difficult?

That’s a different question. Part of it is academics. It is tougher to get enough football players in school under tighter academic requirements than large public universities. Former SMU coach June Jones was especially vocal about SMU’s tight academic restrictions when he resigned earlier this season."

Link: http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/j ... dbfab.html
"We will win championships on the Hilltop" - Rick Hart - September 8, 2014
novasmu
Scout Team

PreviousNext

Return to Football