PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jeff Reinebold Ripping Chad Morris

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Jeff Reinebold Ripping Chad Morris

Postby Stallion » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:54 pm

I really think LSU is on shaky grounds with the Cajun at the helm. Ole Miss is a tough job right now with probation and scholarship reductions and Miss St. hired a Coach that makes you scratch your head. I think therfe's an opening here as long as Morris' knocks it out of the park in Texas
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:20 pm

Arkansas leaving the SWC was the most brilliant act in conference moves in the last 50 years. They are reaping SEC cash and benefits beyond comparison. They are competitive and I really think Chad will be successful. See Clemson vs Alabama the last few years. That is what I think you will see in a few years from Arkansas.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby redpony » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:47 pm

mrydel.- with all due respect. you fail to mention that they destroyed the SWC. that action can never be forgiven by true SMU alums. I am glad they are now much richer that my alma mater. may they roast in hell for destroying a great conference. Broyles and coach lisp were as crooked as a pigs hind leg. No other team in the conference, even whorens and aggs, brought their own officials as often the the swine.
Just where is your allegiance?? SMU or in the hills of arky??"??"
redpony

Postby PonyTime » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:12 pm

1. Former NFL Quarterback, former NFL head coach, college coach who took two non P 5 programs to numerous bowl games - including sugar bowl (2 teams that arguably had the roughest hills to climb in regards to recruiting of any D1 program), recruited and coached a bunch of players to the NFL (including the guy who broke Dickerson rush record), guy who finally re-engaged our players from the 80s.

2. Guy who tried really hard and squeaked a non p5 team into the frisco bowl vs La Tech after 3 years of hard work. who also used to coach on a staff that later won NC after he left.

I hate how JJ gave up and how it ended, but who will be known as the one who had greatest impact on SMU 10 years from now? Who will be known as better HC? JJ will forever have a 3 bowl win lead on CM. Guess we will find out in a few years as we look to see if ARk has competed for national title...
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PoconoPony » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:29 pm

mrydel wrote:Arkansas leaving the SWC was the most brilliant act in conference moves in the last 50 years. They are reaping SEC cash and benefits beyond comparison. They are competitive and I really think Chad will be successful. See Clemson vs Alabama the last few years. That is what I think you will see in a few years from Arkansas.

They broke up the SWC and have been irrelevant in football ever since.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Jeff Reinebold Ripping Chad Morris

Postby mrydel » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:54 pm

Yes they broke up the SWC. It was going to anyway. Broyles had the foresight to get out while they could. And did it by bettering their position.

They have been more relevant in the SEC than Ole Miss, Miss St, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, South Carolina, A&M, and probably some more. 3 Championship games in football. National Championship in basketball. And reaping the SEC cash cow annually. Yeah it’s tough to be so irrelevant.
mrydel

Postby mrydel » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:57 pm

PonyTime wrote:1. Former NFL Quarterback, former NFL head coach, college coach who took two non P 5 programs to numerous bowl games - including sugar bowl (2 teams that arguably had the roughest hills to climb in regards to recruiting of any D1 program), recruited and coached a bunch of players to the NFL (including the guy who broke Dickerson rush record), guy who finally re-engaged our players from the 80s.

2. Guy who tried really hard and squeaked a non p5 team into the frisco bowl vs La Tech after 3 years of hard work. who also used to coach on a staff that later won NC after he left.

I hate how JJ gave up and how it ended, but who will be known as the one who had greatest impact on SMU 10 years from now? Who will be known as better HC? JJ will forever have a 3 bowl win lead on CM. Guess we will find out in a few years as we look to see if ARk has competed for national title...

Jones will be known as the coach that took SMU to the bottom of the deepest depths of football. I don’t care what he did initially. It does not matter since he devastated the program and literally just walked away.
mrydel

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:49 pm

I will always remember JJ as a guy who did good things for SMU but was just too lazy to capitalize on that early success and just wasn't committed to taking SMU to the same level he had Hawaii. If he had not pouted about attendance in only year 3 and instead had hit the trail hard in an effort to elevate recruiting after that impressive Hawaii Bowl vs Kapernick/Nevada and then making a trip to the AAC Championship game the next year, who knows where we would be right now. I'm sure he would have earned a P5 job and SMU might now be a much more attractive job and we might actually have a larger core group of fans.
Charleston Pony

Postby PonyTime » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:05 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:I will always remember JJ as a guy who did good things for SMU but was just too lazy to capitalize on that early success and just wasn't committed to taking SMU to the same level he had Hawaii. If he had not pouted about attendance in only year 3 and instead had hit the trail hard in an effort to elevate recruiting after that impressive Hawaii Bowl vs Kapernick/Nevada and then making a trip to the AAC Championship game the next year, who knows where we would be right now. I'm sure he would have earned a P5 job and SMU might now be a much more attractive job and we might actually have a larger core group of fans.

Also hard to evaluate and compare as JJ was at the very end of his coaching career and CM is on the early end of his. Young and hungry vs old and content.

I maintain until proven otherwise that JJ is the better coach with a better overall legacy. Very much understand why some on here despise him for his last 20 months of tenure.

Gregg did not have any expectations - and did not even have a chance
Rossley did not have a chance - but competed at a level greater than his talent
Caven had the door shut in his face at the get go with the recruiting restrictions and had no shot
Bennett was not a good coach and an average recruiter
JJ had a system that worked at SMU and his name alone was able to garner some talent. Beating TCU, Nevada, Pitt and Fresno were all very impressive wins for SMU - think they were dogs in every one of those big games.
Morris had the drive, tenacity and offensive system that was able to beat a number of lesser teams. Had he stayed, we would have been able to better evaluate.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mtrout » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:26 pm

Chad got us trey quinn and was good at spouting off quotes from self help books.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby oilpony » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:31 pm

The former coach who shall remain nameless had some talent when he arrived on the hilltop 10.5 years ago. Chad arrived with hardly division II level talent
oilpony
All-American

Postby mustangxc » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:37 pm

Yet he left us with a soon to be first round draft pick in the NFL draft. Who was the last SMU football player drafted that high?
mustangxc

Postby Stallion » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:42 pm

What's funny is that 2007 SMU team was so bad defensively under the great Defensive Coordinator Phil Bennett-we won 1 game-had to score 45 to do it but lost games where we scored 52, 45, 42 and 34.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby PonySnob » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:54 pm

mustangxc wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:I don’t think JJ beat many teams over.500. And he did it with Bennett’s players. Once they graduated the program went down in a hurry. Now what was it that Reinbold did to get fired?

PB
2005 year 4: 5-6
2006 year 5: 6-6
2007 year 6: 1-11

JJ
2008 year 1: 1-11
2009 year 2: 8-5
2010 year 3: 7-7
2011 year 4: 8-5
2012 year 5: 7-6
2013 year 6: 5-7

Funny how PB's players never managed to win more than 6 games and won only 1 game his last year and yet 5 years into the Jones regime and we were still going bowling. How do you spin that? June stopped recruiting after the 2011 season and it became very apparent on the field when we lost Garrett Gilbert to graduation. I hate that he stayed on after he had mentally checked out and I do not understand how our administration did not fire him for cause after the ASU debacle but do not understand why so many cannot acknowledge the good things he did for SMU.

You left off year 7 in 2014 of which get gets 100% of the credit for 1-11. If you want to be kind just put the games he actually coached in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby mustangxc » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:10 pm

I left out 2014 because at that point there were no Phil Bennett recruits. My argument was that he did in fact win with his own recruits while he was actually recruiting.
mustangxc

PreviousNext

Return to Football