PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Offensive Coordinator Candidates

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Offensive Coordinator Candidates

Postby Pony4Life » Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:04 pm

Originally posted by McAndless:
This may be worthy of starting an entirely new thread, but during "The Committment" speeches, was there any legit conversation concerning a training table. It cannot be complete coincidence that we are so small up front compared to so many schools. Not only do we recruit little, we keep them little by feeding them what, Mac's Place? That's a shame.
That's been the trend in the past, but that trend is changing. Desmond Jones and Brandon Bonds are the biggest DTs we've signed since .... pre-DP maybe? Justin Boren, Caleb Peveto and Kenard Burley are humongous. Ryan Kennedy (late Bennett recruit last year) might well be the biggest TE we've ever signed at SMU. Cory Muse has very good size for a freshman LB, and he's growing. Darrin Johnson blocks out the sun, and he's still growing.

You're right - we don't have enough big guys. But they are on the way. (See Chris Hall)
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby Mike Damone » Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:35 pm

Hey, I meant nothing against Edmondson at all. I am glad he is staying and hope he is part of the answer. I was merely responding to a post that made it sound as if he was horribly mistreated.

My point was, that Edmondson must have respect for Bennett's decision and obviously didn't disagree with it to the level of quitting. I just think that if he felt that he was never given the chance to succeed by Bennett(as ponyrider was saying), he wouldn't stay on his staff.

I just know that if I was the fall guy for something that wasn't my fault, but instead the guy who demoted me, I doubt that I would be able to swallow my pride enough to accept a re-assignment. But, if I felt that it was the right decision, that someone else could do the job better than me, but I could still help in other aspects, that's a different story.

<small>[ 12-05-2003, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: Mike Damone ]</small>
The attitude dictates that you don't care whether she comes, stays, lays, or prays. I mean whatever happens, your toes are still tappin'. Now when you got that, then you have the attitude.

-Me
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby McAndless » Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:02 pm

I don't know specifics as we all merely speculate, but I think Edmondson is a quality enough guy/coach to stick around and get this ship turned around, while also having enough family concern to stay put and place some kind of roots and show loyalty to Bennett who brought him here in the first place.

Another easy sell, (not only for recruits as it is widely known) for prospective coordinators...this isn't Lafayette, or some BFE West Virginia, or Norman, this is Dallas, a great place to raise family, etc. That has to be a selling point for Bennett I'd think.
McAndless
Junior Varsity

Postby Mike Damone » Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:19 pm

I completely agree. Also, another selling point, as sad as it is, is that there is no where to go but up.

Right now we are getting publicity as the worst team in college football. If this thing gets turned around, people will notice. And the coaching staff will get all the credit.

Bennett's got to be telling the candidates: hey we averaged 11 points a game this year, we'll have more weapons next year, more experience, the offense can't possibly get worse, and if we improve in the next few years the OC will be seen as a savior.

Heck if we were to average 20 points a game next year, which by no means is unreasonable(99 out of 117 averaged 20+, including 0-12 Army), the guy looks like a genious for doubling our point output. If he fails, its just because he didn't have a chance because its SMU.

<small>[ 12-05-2003, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: Mike Damone ]</small>
The attitude dictates that you don't care whether she comes, stays, lays, or prays. I mean whatever happens, your toes are still tappin'. Now when you got that, then you have the attitude.

-Me
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby BigEasyPony » Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:54 pm

When Edmonson was at ULL prior to SMU he was not thought of highly by the fans. Most felt he was too conservative in his playcalling. ULL was not a good team when he was there so that had something to do with it and it also has something to do with the lack of production at SMU. It is difficult to evaluate anyone under those conditions, but his track record as a coordinator for whatever reason has not been good.
BigEasyPony
Junior Varsity

Postby OldPony » Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:46 pm

I wasn't suggesting that Miami O doesn't have athletes. I was saying that the OC does a super job and that his QB's are very sound in fundamentals. His line is awesome too. The philosophy keeps opponents off balance too.
I wish that coaching was our problem. It ain't. Just like I said all year too, it wasn't our QB's fault. We have lots of deficiencies and can improve in almost every area from coaches to athletes but especially in administration.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Dooby » Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:03 pm

Originally posted by BigEasyPony:
When Edmonson was at ULL prior to SMU he was not thought of highly by the fans. Most felt he was too conservative in his playcalling. ULL was not a good team when he was there so that had something to do with it and it also has something to do with the lack of production at SMU. It is difficult to evaluate anyone under those conditions, but his track record as a coordinator for whatever reason has not been good.
Now that I think about it, I remember hearing 2 years ago that U-La-La fans didn't like Edmonson, and that we wouldn't either.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby No Cal Pony » Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:18 pm

I realize I'm a bit late onm this, but I'm working and away from home. But, my crack addled mind wishes for Norm Chow.

Go Ponies!
No Cal Pony
Varsity

Postby PonyTales » Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:04 am

How about Vince Lombardi while you're at it? We'd all love to see Norm Chow here, but that's a wee bit out of reach.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby Dooby » Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:00 am

Originally posted by No Cal Pony:
I realize I'm a bit late onm this, but I'm working and away from home. But, my crack addled mind wishes for Norm Chow.

Go Ponies!
Chow was considered for the head coaching job two years ago. He pulled out when we didn't offer enough money.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby cowboypony » Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:33 am

Don't look now but Gerry Fraley in the DMN today suggests what I've already suggested: hire Todd Dodge.
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby gostangs » Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:38 am

Dodge would be great - But I would prefer Turner Gill - I think it would provide a bit more recruiting punch. We need someone who has as the number two item next to their name (after brilliant offensive mind) - "can sell ice to eskimos" style recuriter.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby cowboypony » Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:57 am

So hire Dodge as OC and Ramon as QB, or other offensive skill position, coach. There's your one-two punch.
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby Football Fan » Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:22 pm

There are only two jobs available. OC/QB coach and OL coach. The other positions are filled.
Football Fan
Recruit

Postby cowboypony » Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:28 pm

It's real simple. Hire an OC and then hire another coach as the QB coach. We can have as many position coaches as we want or can re-shuffle duties. If the right guys are available, simply make it happen.
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Football