PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Smu Football: Staying Positive

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Smu Football: Staying Positive

Postby CalallenStang » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:05 pm

Smu_rise wrote:Agreed!!! IMO, everything coach Jones said was the truth though. The guy obviously wants to win. Quick question for you too; Not just relating to SMU...Better to exceed "little expectations" (5-7) to (8-4) or fall short of "big expectations" (11-1) to (8-4) ?

Depends on what season it is in the progress. If we have just come off of a 3-9 or 4-8 season, I'll take the 8-4. But if we have just come off of an 11-1 season, 8-4 is a step back. You have to have context to set the expectation, and then the expectation should be exceeded. Hope this answers your question.

I judge the program based on the progress we are making. As far as I can tell, our program stopped making forward progress after the BBVA Compass Bowl win in the 2011 season. We barely got a bowl in 2012 and we missed a bowl completely in 2013, and I don't believe we will make a bowl this year.

Bottom line is that we can't accept a certain level of success as our "ceiling" just because we are SMU, not Alabama. We have to strive toward competing for national titles and hold all accountable when we miss our progress toward becoming that type of program.
CalallenStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Roach » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:38 am

couch 'em wrote:The basketball board is entirely positive. This board is no more, or perhaps less, negative than others with a program in this state of complete disaster.

Like hell. There was some talk after the basketball team lost to Houston in the AAC tournament that Larry Brown wasn't as good as advertised, or something like that. The posters immediately got shouted down, though, which is the way of many critics here: if I don't know what I'm talking about, I'll repeat my "thoughts" over and over again, thereby somehow making my opinion more valid or interesting … neither of which is accurate. It's mostly positive over on the hoops board, but we all sat through years of hate-mongering before LB was hired. There is a small group of loyal ticket holders, but may of us do a poor job of supporting our team when everything isn't perfect.
Plagiarize!
Let no one else's work evade your eyes.
Remember why the good lord made your eyes.
So don't shade your eyes, just
Plagiarize, plagiarize, plagiarize!

(Only be sure always to call it, please .... "research.")
Roach
Heisman

Smu Football: Staying Positive

Postby SMU2007 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:18 am

Roach wrote:
couch 'em wrote:The basketball board is entirely positive. This board is no more, or perhaps less, negative than others with a program in this state of complete disaster.

Like hell. There was some talk after the basketball team lost to Houston in the AAC tournament that Larry Brown wasn't as good as advertised, or something like that. The posters immediately got shouted down, though, which is the way of many critics here: if I don't know what I'm talking about, I'll repeat my "thoughts" over and over again, thereby somehow making my opinion more valid or interesting … neither of which is accurate. It's mostly positive over on the hoops board, but we all sat through years of hate-mongering before LB was hired. There is a small group of loyal ticket holders, but may of us do a poor job of supporting our team when everything isn't perfect.

Get out of here. The fact that the football team has any fans under the age of 40 is amazing. This isn't a spoiled UT fanbase clamoring for the coach's head when we don't compete for a national title. Most young alumni have seen zero meaningful success (relevant wins against teams anyone cares about) except for a couple tcu wins, in their entire life. Now explain to me again how young alumni aren't real fans when "things aren't perfect"
SMU2007

Postby Mustangsabu » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:09 pm

SMU fans do not for the most part care about their teams. Look at basketball. Couple of hundred people went to Garland. They catch lightening in a bottle on the return to moody and it's suddenly tickets selling for $$$. The smallest downturn in success and moody will be half full in no time.

Enjoy the success we have. It is like mercury.
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mestengo » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:26 pm

Don't you dare put any negative Mojo on this basketball dream Abu!
Mestengo
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:48 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:SMU fans do not for the most part care about their teams. Look at basketball. Couple of hundred people went to Garland. They catch lightening in a bottle on the return to moody and it's suddenly tickets selling for $$$. The smallest downturn in success and moody will be half full in no time.

Enjoy the success we have. It is like mercury.

Disagree- Garland was a non-starter for many because of its location, rush hour traffic, and lack of marquee opponents. Moody sold out for UCF game late in the season- and I suspect it will be a hotspot for years to come with beer being served, greatly enhanced in game presentation, easy access, and hopefully a great product on the court as well.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby ponyboy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:09 pm

Win, every moderately but against real opponents, and they will come.
ponyboy

Previous

Return to Football