PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jones already "recharged"?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Jones already "recharged"?

Postby ReedFrawg » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:09 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
ReedFrawg wrote:Geez...I cannot imagine any AD hiring June at this point.

To ReedFrawg's credit, he said we should have removed ourselves from JJ years ago.

Just curious, what's your opinion on Doug Meacham?

Ya I thought June should have been gone immediately after the asu fiasco. Not so much because he pursued the job but he had clearly mailed it in and started recruiting for asu. I played for Sullivan and I don't think he ever quit on the team or school. He just wasn't a very good HC.

Re Meacham...whats not to like? I dont really know anymore than you guys but its hard to find any fault with the offense right now. I also don't know how much credit needs to be shared with Cumbie. I do expect Meacham to be an HC in the near future.
ReedFrawg
Heisman

Postby fifty » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:21 pm

Can someone remind me why ASU fans responded so poorly when they were going to hire June? Did they have a clairvoyant on staff?
fifty
Heisman

Postby couch 'em » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:24 pm

Higher football IQ than SMU fans
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Jones already

Postby ReedFrawg » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:27 pm

fifty wrote:Can someone remind me why ASU fans responded so poorly when they were going to hire June? Did they have a clairvoyant on staff?

They saw through the low tier bowl wins, 6-7 win seasons and recognized that june only won games against mediocre to poor competition. My opinion of course.
ReedFrawg
Heisman

Postby smupony94 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:28 pm

I posted many times on their board
smupony94

Re: Jones already

Postby alyssa » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:14 pm

fifty wrote:Can someone remind me why ASU fans responded so poorly when they were going to hire June? Did they have a clairvoyant on staff?

I've known how JJ was for many years. I never wanted him at SMU. It's hard for me to understand the people who couldn't see who he really is in life.
One could see it even while he would be interviewed by ESPN before Hawaii games. His behavior and his words told the audience.

I'd love to go on about this and SMU's ways in its sports programs but I'll hold it back.
I am tired of waiting on SMU to really do it right. I've seen people born and now married with their own babies since I've been waiting for SMU.............The days are getting shorter.
alyssa
All-American

Postby JasonB » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:16 pm

Wow, that is a fascinating article...

1) I would have never thought of June as an E. Really seems more of an I personality to me; I have never seen him invigorated by a packed room.
2) Interesting projection reaction as well. He was one personality type, which isn't that of a good QB. He wanted to be a great one, so he knew what his personality should be. And he tried to identify the players that would be that type, but always ended up looking at himself. Kind of like Luke battling vader on Yoda's planet. It is a pretty common reaction that people have. They will say they want to surround themselves with different types of people, but end up surrounding themselves by their identical type, because it is just easier to be around. It might say a little bit about ego. But it means that without his buddy around to help him ID QBs, he really had a difficult time figuring out who would be successful.
3) It also makes me wonder was June guessing at someone's personality type, and then moved him to an odd position based on that, or sat him on the bench based on it. It might explain kids like Nick Reed and Winberly moved all over the place. Nlemchi never getting a chance to play.
4) Did June really bench Willis because of accuracy or did he just test as the wrong personality type?
5) Was June trying to start some new sports science strategy by taking two star athletes of certain personality types and getting them to play the right position or coach them appropriately? Is that what the new movie is really all about?
6) There are like 8 million people and several online evaluation tests that can evaluate personality types. Why couldn't he just pull in someone else to do it when the guy got sick? And Myers Briggs is all about who you are, not so much about how to relate to others. Why not use one of the other evaluations that tells you how the different types work with each other?

7) and finally, here is a doozy: June's personality type is the type of person who doesn't work well under pressure under the lights. Because of the dominance of his ego, he creates a practice environment that suits his personality type - that essentially doesn't simulate game conditions. The people that he recruits mostly share his personality types. Very good practice players under relaxed situations where the conditions are ideal. But then the "fog of war" hits when the lights come on. Because of his personality type and his natural attraction towards players of that type, he ends up amplifying the fog of war concept, and recruits a bunch of players who have to be "in the system" and get used to an environment for years before they have an impact on the field. In short, it isn't the system that is so complex it keeps people from being effective their frosh year. It is the type of personalities he is recruiting to play in his system. And, to take it a step further, the players who thrive on intensity and probably would play well in the game, are so frustrated and horrible at practice that they never see any game time.
JasonB

Postby footballdad » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:49 am

Haha, #7 really is a doozy. "the players he recruits mostly share his personality type"? Since when did June really recruit anybody on this team? You give this lazy, egomaniacal POS way too much credit. Give this team and future players a real leader and motivator, and the June Jones era will eventually go down as the worst in SMU history. An epic mistake that most will only admit many years after the fact.

June was a simple snake oil salesman, with a big dash of ego, wrapped in some faith based hocus pocus, with a big red brain typing cherry on top. Swallowed hook, line & sinker by Turner, most of the CoC, and many others susceptible to the likes of most any pathetic cult leader.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Lebanese4Life » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:09 am

Wow, june jones. I knew he was crazy, but this is on a whole new level
Lebanese4Life
Hall of Famer

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:20 am

JasonB wrote:Wow, that is a fascinating article...

How does the author arrive at this conclusion?

"Jones left the NFL and became one of the most
successful coaches in the college game"
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby novasmu » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:48 am

Wow! Stunning. If there is a term to convey what he did to the program with his kooky beliefs, I would call it the Jonestown Massacre.
"We will win championships on the Hilltop" - Rick Hart - September 8, 2014
novasmu
Scout Team

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:53 am

any school that hires him will get what they deserve but it will be entertaining to watch what kind of staff he puts together. Did he learn anything from the SMU experience?
Charleston Pony

Postby PonyKai » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:46 am

I wonder what kind of due diligence Steve Orsini did beyond looking at June's 2007/2008 record at UH and throwing him a bag of money. Seems like reasonable due diligence would have shown that this relationship wouldn't work out nearly as well as everyone wanted it to.
PonyKai

Postby StallionsModelT » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:51 am

I've been on business in NOLA for the last few days and just got around to reading this.

WOW.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby smumustang1980 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:01 am

Stlhockeyguy02 wrote:I wonder what kind of due diligence Steve Orsini did beyond looking at June's 2007/2008 record at UH and throwing him a bag of money. Seems like reasonable due diligence would have shown that this relationship wouldn't work out nearly as well as everyone wanted it to.

The greater question is why would intelligent and experienced businessmen like Hunt and Sewell fail in their due diligence as trustees? They sit on the board and are ultimately responsible along with Turner. Apparently, SMU failed to investigate June Jones. They hired him because he took Hawaii to the Sugar Bowl.
About 25 feet from the Hillcrest track... With the boots so tall and the writing on the wall...
smumustang1980
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Football