PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Realignment Update

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Realignment Update

Postby Red Dragon Coog » Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:31 pm

Meanwhile at the last Pac 12 meeting...
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (96.27 KiB) Viewed 1905 times
Red Dragon Coog
Recruit

Postby ShantyBoy » Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:14 am

Doesn’t the slurpee machine need tending to troll?
ShantyBoy
Junior Varsity

Postby ericdickerson4life » Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:05 am

ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby max the wonder dog » Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:40 pm

Canzano Left a Lot Outside the Paywall Today

The Pac-12 held a one-hour zoom call with presidents, chancellors and the nine remaining ADs on Thursday at 5 p.m.. What was the tone? How did it go? I asked one of the athletic directors on the call.

“Meeting was fine. I think we are pretty solid,” the person said. “Waiting to early next week. League needs to deliver something soon and good. Excellent communication between ADs. Seems we are strongly committed to wait and see the deals.”

The “early next week” part jumped out to me.

— Colorado’s departure to the Big 12 doesn’t help move things along quickly or make that wait easy. I asked the same AD source how the current economic climate in the media world is affecting the Pac-12’s negotiation. How much, if any, of the delay is on Commissioner George Kliavkoff? The slow-moving presidents/chancellors?

Other factors?

“Just taking far too long,” the source said. “But the climate is terrible. And peers from other conferences are trying to take the league. Along with (Fox) trying to own it all. Not healthy.

— Fox has USC and UCLA as part of its Big Ten contract and also has the Mountain West Conference. The network doesn’t “own it all” but it has a foothold in the Pacific time zone. It isn’t motivated to help the Pac-12 get a good deal. In fact, you could argue that Fox benefits from the destabilization of the Pac-12 (see: USC, UCLA, Colorado).

I’ve been told, on and off during the last six months, that Fox was still at the table with the Pac-12. How aggressively? Not sure. I’ve wondered if the network wants anything more than a few FS1 Thursday/Friday games, if that.

Meanwhile, ESPN currently doesn’t have anything west of the Big 12 footprint when it comes to college football. It needs the 10:30 p.m. ET window filled and the Pac-12 offers that. Also, Apple remains a potential partner. I wonder if Apple would just take an equity stake in ESPN and gobble up the entire Pac-12 package in one giant linear/streaming bite.

I had a Pac-12 CEO Group source tell me two weeks ago “it will be worth the wait.” I don’t think the person was blowing smoke. But that ‘wait’ needs to end soon. How’s next week for everyone? Work for you?

— I’ve been thinking a lot about the health of the ecosystem and the role that television plays in it. College football essentially shut out the entire Pacific Time Zone with the four-team playoff. The playoff expansion to 12 teams elicited cheers from a lot of college fans, but most notably those in the Pacific Time zone.

Last October in a podcast conversation with SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey, I asked about whether the major conferences care about the health of the landscape.

Sankey said: “If the College Football Playoff stayed at four, we’d be fine given what’s happened since it was implemented. That is not the perspective offered by everyone else over time. One of the motivating factors from our perspective is the need for football to be relevant on a national basis.“That’s important for us all.”

— Is the regional health of college football important to media companies? You’d think so. They do lucrative business in the space. But the companies also have shareholders, profits to worry about and a fiduciary duty to generate a pile of revenue.

I know lots of good, smart, conscientious people who work in the media-rights world, but it doesn’t feel like a holistic game right now. It looks more like pirates playing a game of chess.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby mtrout » Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:10 pm

Done deal, next week: redux
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby mtrout » Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:52 pm

Indian dudes just report on GSwaim who was right about Colorado
https://twitter.com/GSwaim/status/16829 ... 27968?s=20
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyPride » Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:29 pm

Something called "the Buckeye Page" tweeting a report from something called "College Football Edits" (?) that the Big 10 is now eyeing Oregon, Washington, Clemson and Florida State.

https://twitter.com/BuckeyePage/status/ ... 7659492352
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/

threads.com/ponyfans_staff
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Topper » Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:02 pm

I see a future conference made up of PAC leftovers in the West combined with MWC. I see a future conference in the East made up of ACC leftovers. I would rather be aligned with the teams in the East as I suppose they will be as follows:

Syracuse, BC, Pitt, Duke, Wake, Ga Tech Add Navy, SMU, Tulane, Rice and Memphis State and that could be our future at some point. I am thinking that Fla State and Clemson want in the SEC and that the Big 10 would counter by bringing in UVA and UNC. The Big 12 would raid Louisville, NC State, Miami and Va Tech.

There is a lot of talk about Miami going to the Big 10 or SEC but I don't think that they are that valuable.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby max the wonder dog » Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:02 pm

Canzano Says PAC 12 has 48 Hours to Act

"The Pac-12 Conference’s ongoing, dragged out, over-cooked existential crisis has raised a question that I’m sure a bunch of you have already considered.

Are you on the bus?

Meaning, do you believe the Pac-12 can hold its nine remaining schools together, land a satisfactory media-rights deal, add a school or two via expansion?

All in the next 48 hours or so?

That’s the task. ..."
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby mtrout » Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:26 pm

I don't see an option other than SMU to get the Pac12 to 10 teams this week unless the MWC exit fee just disappears.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby redpony » Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:40 pm

Canzano is now saying that P12 will add SDSU for the 2024 season. Says that the PAC has apparently agreed to help pay their exit fee so they can join and get them to 10 teams.

Not sure this is good news for us as they would now need to add 2 more teams to get to 12 and that may not happen anytime soon. he commented he was surprised as he thought we would be the add because of the SDSU exit fee.
redpony

Postby mtrout » Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:45 pm

That's hilarious. Not good...but still hilarious.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby redpony » Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:16 pm

also read that PAC is having a meeting Tuesday to discuss media rights deal etc.
redpony

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:12 pm

You need 10 member schools to hold a football championship game which would be a premium get in any media deal. Adding SDSU alone makes sense given the uncertainty of the PAC going forward

Meanwhile, I just hope Lashlee & Co have put together a roster that can compete with Tulane, UTSA and others for an AAC football title and I hope our hoops roster can compete with FAU, Memphis and others and earn a bid to the NCAA tourney this season
Charleston Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Football