PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Offensive Coordinator Candidates

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Offensive Coordinator Candidates

Postby Dooby » Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:31 pm

Originally posted by cowboypony:
Don't look now but Gerry Fraley in the DMN today suggests what I've already suggested: hire Todd Dodge.
That's too bad. I was warming up to your idea, but now Fraley's on your side. If there is one thing I know for sure, it is that Gerry Fraley is a complete moron.

BTW, Cowboypony, please stop suggesting that Flanigan come in as QB coach like it could happen. Flanigan, despite his love for SMU, isn't going to take a demotion to coach here.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby cowboypony » Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:43 pm

No, I don't plan to quit suggesting things that make sense and should be considered. Think about it: Dodge comes in here and puts an offense in that works. He stays for about 2 years. Flanigan then is in line to take the job. Seems logical to me. At UNT he's done all he can do. UNT can't ever do any better than the New Orleans bowl. If Flanigan is an up and coming coach he needs to leap out of UNT while the opportunity is there. One off year at UNT and he'll be lucky to land a high school job. The SMU job I'm suggesting could and should be made to be an attractive career move for a young coach like Flanigan.

As far as Fraley, you're completely right. HOwever, even an idiot can see that Dodge is a brilliant coach and if we don't get him someone else will - and he'll succeed.
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby Casey » Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:48 pm

Please forgive me if this has already been written -- if so, I missed it.

Who's Todd Dodge?
Once a Mustang, ALWAYS a Mustang!
Casey
All-American

Postby cowboypony » Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:57 pm

Here's my stab at stating who Todd Dodge is: one of the most highly recruited high school QBs in Texas that started for the Longhorns in early 80s. Most recently, he took over a perputual cellar dweller 5A program at Carrollton-Farmers Branch RL Turner. Took them to the playoffs for the first time in who knows when (by the way, they sucked before he got there and sucked after he left). Now, he's the head coach at Southlake Carroll. In my humble opinion, Carroll is the most prolific and well disciplined offensive system going in Texas right now. He is an extremely hot commodity right now. Last year, the Carroll School Board was prepared to jump through hoops to keep him there after they won the State Championship (in their first year in 5A).

To be objective (I don't know Dodge and have never met him) the knock might be that he hasn't coached in high school. On the other hand, Art Briles had very little college experience before he became the coach at UH.

Whether SMU takes the conventional approach in hiring an OC is Bennett's call. However, some day, Dodge will be a successful college coach.
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby MeanGreenGem » Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:39 pm

I know the difference on theinsiders between recruits expressing interest in SMU and those expressing interest in UNT is night and day, with SMU having 5 times as many kids expressing interest in SMU. [/QB][/QUOTE]

I know Mack Brown and UT win the Rivals Recruiting National Championship just about every other February but they didn't play the OU Boomers half as close as the MEAN GREEN of NORTH TEXAS this Fall.

Recruiting in the state of Texas is highly overrated because our state has so many high school kids playing that even Dave Campbell and his staff cannot keep up with all of them; that is, the ones that will continue to develop from their Texas high school to D1-A football.

UH has not had any top Rival's recruits lately but Art Briles has them in a bowl game his 1'st year on Cullen Blvd, Houston, Texas.

<>*<> Recruiting classes from WAC champion Boise State and SBC champion NORTH TEXAS would mirror each other from year to year. Not much on hype, but very much with substance. Check out what Boise does in the Fort Worth Bowl for further proof.

<small>[ 12-09-2003, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: MeanGreenGem ]</small>
MeanGreenGem
Varsity

Postby mrydel » Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:51 pm

Here's one for discusson. I just read the DMN article on Hayden Fry and saw he would love to coach again and almost took the Baylor job, but his wife would not like it. How about a nice job as OC for SMU. Not quite the stress of head coaching, recruits would come to him, and he could be back at a school that loves and respects him with 20/20 hindsight.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby gostangs » Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:59 pm

Todays recruits do not know Hayden Fry from shine-ola. I love the guy, but don't think his influnce would do a thing for us recruiting wise with today's top athlete. in the coaching booth yes - but not on the recuiting trail.
gostangs

Postby PlanoStang » Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:30 pm

A Hayden coached offense would be fun to watch, and might even had scored some points with this years team. Just as long as he has given up hope on the "Flyin Wishbone". :thumbupcool:
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:04 pm

I was on the sideline at the introduction of the flying wishbone. I can still hear the pops of the pads and the moans from the hits taken by the QB. There is a lot to be said for the position of tight end.
mrydel

Postby giacfsp » Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:02 pm

Originally posted by MeanGreenGem:
.... Recruiting in the state of Texas is highly overrated because our state has so many high school kids playing that even Dave Campbell and his staff cannot keep up with all of them ....
Don't get ahead of yourself. It's not hard to outwit that genius.
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby couch 'em » Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:18 pm

Originally posted by cowboypony:
Most recently, he took over a perputual cellar dweller 5A program at Carrollton-Farmers Branch RL Turner. Took them to the playoffs for the first time in who knows when (by the way, they sucked before he got there and sucked after he left).
HEY!! We didn't suck... we were just "differently successful" than winning schools.......
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby PlanoStang » Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:40 pm

Just what did you "differently succeed" in while you all were getting pounded by the Longview Lobos that game I saw a few years ago in Standridge Stadium? :laugh:

Actually, I think you all scared or beat us one of those years we played you.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby No Quarter » Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:05 pm

"I was on the sideline at the introduction of the flying wishbone. I can still hear the pops of the pads and the moans from the hits taken by the QB. There is a lot to be said for the position of tight end."

mrydel -

I remember the one comment in a Dallas paper to the effect that "some observers don't think the wishbone will work without a tight end."

I don't suppose that particular Fry innovation ever gained much yardage except against the SMU defense in practice.

How many games did SMU run the Fling Wishbone before it was scrapped>
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby couch 'em » Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:42 am

Originally posted by PlanoStang:
Just what did you "differently succeed" in while you all were getting pounded by the Longview Lobos that game I saw a few years ago in Standridge Stadium? :laugh:

Actually, I think you all scared or beat us one of those years we played you.
We were very successful at creating legendary apathy and complete lack of fandom towards the football team. You may think SMU is bad, but except for my senior year when we made the playoffs, I don't think I ever found one person who openly called himself a fan in any of my classes, friends, parents, or rest of the band. TOP THAT LONGVIEW!!! booyah! At least we always beat Bryan Adams and their green mini-Mustang Band
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby mrydel » Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:42 am

No Quarter:

If I recall correctly (and my mind is old and my body older)the flying wishbone was scrapped DURING the first game in which it was used. That is why Gary Hammond is alive today. Had it been continued he would have been buried right there in the Cotton Bowl.
mrydel

PreviousNext

Return to Football