PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Coach Tom Mason to Hawaii

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Coach Tom Mason to Hawaii

Postby Stallion » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:11 pm

Hawaii fans want Mason to hire Jeff Reinebold as a DB Coach-wasn't there a rift between those 2 about Reinebold writing an article about how to defeat Mason's 3-4 defense
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:22 pm

Stallion wrote:Hawaii fans want Mason to hire Jeff Reinebold as a DB Coach-wasn't there a rift between those 2 about Reinebold writing an article about how to defeat Mason's 3-4 defense

What was the gist of it, don't huddle?
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby PonyPride » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:05 pm

ojaipony wrote:Really happy for him. I think he just burned out here. Attitude was terrible at the end, very "loser-ish". :-)

I'll respectfully disagree. Was he burned out? Frustrated? Some of both, to be sure, and a bunch of other emotions. But considering the circumstances and the way the season played out, I thought his attitude was extraordinary. He knew the talent level of each opponent, and he knew the circumstances and factors that contributed to the season being what it was. But his attitude in practice, when talking to us and when just talking to/coaching the team, was more positive and encouraging than a lot of people's would have been. A lot of reporters covering the games commented about how infectious Mason's enthusiasm was. He was in a rough spot, and he knew it, but he didn't badmouth players or coaches, and even mixed in some humor. A lot of things didn't go right in 2014, but I wouldn't put Mason's attitude on that list.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/

threads.com/ponyfans_staff
PonyPride

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:20 pm

I believe Mason was the main one feeding Mexmustang most of his info as well.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:36 pm

Rebel10 wrote:I believe Mason was the main one feeding Mexmustang of his info as well.

is that the sarcasm font I see there?
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby JasonB » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:18 pm

Stallion wrote:Hawaii fans want Mason to hire Jeff Reinebold as a DB Coach-wasn't there a rift between those 2 about Reinebold writing an article about how to defeat Mason's 3-4 defense

I thought it was how to beat June's offense?

I think there was some personal things with JR that didn't involve Mason that lead to his dismissal.
JasonB

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:42 am

I'm appreciative of Coach Mason for trudging on during our last season, I also wish him the best of luck at Hawaii.

Having said that, I'm a little surprised at the amount of love being thrown his way. I certainly would not want him as my HC (Nevada made the right call IMO) or even my DC. He was part of the problem.
SoCal_Pony

Postby ponyscott » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:32 pm

JasonB wrote:

I think there was some personal things with JR that didn't involve Mason that lead to his dismissal.

There was a rift about JR writing something about Masons defense and how to attack it....and not June's offense. June was forced to let JR go.
ponyscott

Postby smusic 00 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:12 pm

Reinebold's got a pretty good CFL and Sky Sport NFL gig but he is always tweeting about Hawaii stuff.
smusic 00

Postby CalallenStang » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:48 pm

ponyscott wrote:
JasonB wrote:

There was a rift about JR writing something about Masons defense and how to attack it....and not June's offense. June was forced to let JR go.

https://coacheschoice.com/m-834-jeff-reinebold.aspx
CalallenStang

Postby Digetydog » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:11 pm

PonyPride wrote:
ojaipony wrote:Really happy for him. I think he just burned out here. Attitude was terrible at the end, very "loser-ish". :-)

I'll respectfully disagree. Was he burned out? Frustrated? Some of both, to be sure, and a bunch of other emotions. But considering the circumstances and the way the season played out, I thought his attitude was extraordinary. He knew the talent level of each opponent, and he knew the circumstances and factors that contributed to the season being what it was. But his attitude in practice, when talking to us and when just talking to/coaching the team, was more positive and encouraging than a lot of people's would have been. A lot of reporters covering the games commented about how infectious Mason's enthusiasm was. He was in a rough spot, and he knew it, but he didn't badmouth players or coaches, and even mixed in some humor. A lot of things didn't go right in 2014, but I wouldn't put Mason's attitude on that list.

If Junesus had been decent enough to quit before the season, I am convinced that Mason could have beaten UNT, USF, Tulsa, and Uconn.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:31 pm

vielsiehorsepower wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:I believe Mason was the main one feeding Mexmustang most of his info as well.

is that the sarcasm font I see there?

No, they are buddies.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby ojaipony » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:41 am

PonyPride wrote:

His attitude was not HCCM's attitude ("we will not take a backseat to anybody"). He talked about how hard it was to recruit here, etc etc etc. His defense completely laid down and died against most decent competition. Nice guy, funny guy. But he was definitely part of the problem.
ojaipony

Postby mustangxc » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:06 am

While he would not have been a successful head coach at SMU, I still think he is a good hire for Hawaii.
mustangxc

Postby CA Mustang » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:08 am

ojaipony wrote:His attitude was not HCCM's attitude ("we will not take a backseat to anybody"). He talked about how hard it was to recruit here, etc etc etc. His defense completely laid down and died against most decent competition. Nice guy, funny guy. But he was definitely part of the problem.

It is easy to spout sunshine and rainbows when it is 8+ months until the next game. But when you are given command of a team with limited talent in the middle of the season, there's no time to dream of the future. If CM took over right after the UNT game and had to guide the team the rest of the year (with no guarantee of future employment), I bet the tone of his comments would be significantly different than what we have heard from him since December.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football